Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Lobster Tail

Saw some Rock Lobster tails at the grocery store on Saturday and decided to give the fried lobster tail a try. I had intended to bread them with Panko Bread Crumbs and picked up a box of those as well. When I got ready to prepare them last night, I realized that, instead of the bread crumbs, I had purchased a box of tempura batter mix. Oh well. no big deal, I did them that way instead. Deep fried in clean oil, around 350* or so, for 3-5 minutes; until they were golden brown. Made up some honey/dijon mustard dipping sauce to go with them. I wanted to use the egg for this cook so, I grilled a couple of ground brisket burgers for Mrs. TOTN and myself to go with the lobster tails. A very tasty meal indeed!

Removed the tails from the shells and rinsed them off. I cut some of the larger tails into two pieces

After frying them, I let them drain on paper towel.

Served with a tasty ground brisket burger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Outstanding!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • A+!  The "+" was for the toasted bun.  Excellent!
    Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    That's looks like some seriously awesome eats!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Awesome! I'll take a plate of tails!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Lookin good, very good!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Bet that did not suck!  Man I can taste it now.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Damn... That's a great looking meal!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    @TexanOfTheNorthBrother of the North, it looks outstanding from where I'm sitting. I have been wanting to try this myself since you shared that link in another post. I have to ask, was it as good or better than grilled, boiled and steamed? A penny for your thoughts my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thanks everyone! It was one of the easiest cooks I've done and certainly doesn't look like much but, it was absolutely delicious. That was about $25 worth of lobster tail... we could have easily eaten $100 worth.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I think the tempura was the better choice, in my opinion.  I would have devoured either one though.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    we could have easily eaten $100 worth.
    Brother I could run that bill up around the $500 mark easily. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:
    Brother of the North, it looks outstanding from where I'm sitting. I have been wanting to try this myself since you shared that link in another post. I have to ask, was it as good or better than grilled, boiled and steamed? A penny for your thoughts my friend. 
    Hard to say really. It may have been the first time I've had rock lobster and, these were frozen to boot. The fried lobster certainly holds its own against grilled, boiled and steamed and I would not hesitate to do it again.

By the way, I thought the tempura batter worked very well. Might still try with panko bread crumbs sometime though.
    @TexanOfTheNorth
    As you know my friend, lobster along with oysters automatically earns:

Outstanding job brother :clap: 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @TexanOfTheNorth
    Im giving serious consideration to ordering a few live ones to try this with. 

http://m.thelobsterguy.com/

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth

Look, I know how busy you are. If you want to order them and have them sent to me, I'll do all the work and let you know the results. Let me know and I can pm you my mailing address.
    Look, I know how busy you are. If you want to order them and have them sent to me, I'll do all the work and let you know the results. Let me know and I can pm you my mailing address.
    That is mighty kind of you brother of the North. Not everyone is willing to go the extra mile to help folks out like that ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235

Looks amazing!  Just put this on my list of things to try!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• SJ21XDC said:

Looks amazing!  Just put this on my list of things to try!

I think you'll enjoy. @SGH got me thinking about ordering some lobsters myself... I think I'll see how the local store price compares with what these guys offer. Any of you Canadian eggers know anything about them?
    That really looks good, thanks for posting.

Back when I lived in San Diego, we would venture down to Baja a few times a year.  When we had the time, we would stop in Puerto Nuevo for the lobster there - unbelievable.  They split them and fry them in the shell in lard and they used to be cheap as dirt and some of the best lobster I've had.  I've never tried to recreate it, but this just brought back those memories.  Something to research and try maybe.
  • @Legume, would love to know if/when you get around to doing this
    Me too!

It might be worth a shot with the little tails to try it out.  I don't think I'll try with a whole lobster.  It used to be less than $15 to eat your fill at the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo, but that was 15-20 years ago.  Lobster's much more expensive now and certainly more in Texas than west coast.

I'll be sure to post if I do this.
  • Legume said:
    Me too!

It might be worth a shot with the little tails to try it out.  I don't think I'll try with a whole lobster.  It used to be less than $15 to eat your fill at the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo, but that was 15-20 years ago.  Lobster's much more expensive now and certainly more in Texas than west coast.

I'll be sure to post if I do this.
    Have a look at The Lobster Guy. I think @Chubbs orders lobster from him
    SGH said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth

this place is usually cheaper if you buy enough. buy some to freeze cooked
    http://www.lobsterco-op.com/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth

Thanks for sharing the link brother fishless.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth

Doesn't look like they ship to Canada. Not sure (didn't look) if the Lobster Guy does either.
    SGH said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth

Doesn't look like they ship to Canada. Not sure (didn't look) if the Lobster Guy does either.
    theres places in prince edward and nova scotia. i think pei had the big place
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it