Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - A Republican debate question?

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fresh Dry U10s are the best.
    Options
    @blasting This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. The "dry" makes all the difference in the world. Dry means that they haven't been treated with scallop liquor or treated with chemicals that pull in water. If you can't find "dry" pass on them my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    SGH said:
    @blasting This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. The "dry" makes all the difference in the world. Dry means that they haven't been treated with scallop liquor or treated with chemicals that pull in water. If you can't find "dry" pass on them my friend. 
    Can you visually tell or are you relying on the truthfulness of the vendor? I'm highly allergic but I do cook them for others. I don't know much about seafood. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Can you visually tell or are you relying on the truthfulness of the vendor? 
    Yes sir, you can usually spot their shenanigans. Dry scallops will appear translucent with no visible moisture in the bag if they are bagged. Wet scallops will have a slight milky look about them. If they are bagged and frozen you usually can see where some of the moisture formed ice chunks in the bag. Usually but not always, the only time that they will try to trick you is when you are buying fresh ones. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

...But then again, intellectual dishonesty seems to be the hallmark of arguments made by the left these days.  That's all I have to say on this topic.  Enjoy.

removing that, you have a valid point. You can't just take 20 people and say men make more than women. I work in a group of 6 and the men make way less than the women but it's because 2 of my partners have 10+ years experience and me and the other guy are new grads. you can't just pull out men vs. women but I didn't read the article. 
    Okay.  To me when you make an argument that you know won't bear scrutiny then you are not being intellectually honest. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Check out the Trump campaign's latest release on, well... everything.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated gave a few tips about scallops.  The "wet" ones can be vastly improved by soaking in water with a little lemon juice and salt.  The pink ones are sweeter.  The crescent-shaped "muscle" should be removed before cooking up tough.  Pan-frying is best (Cook's Illustrated is prejudiced against BGE's, however).  
    Hope that helps.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SGH
    Options
    Botch said:
      The "wet" ones can be vastly improved by soaking in water with a little lemon juice and salt. 

It's still a no contest. Especially if you are flash searing them. The dry untreated ones are far better. However if all that you are able to get is the wet ones, then yes, give it a go. I try to avoid them completely if I can. 

Status- Standing by.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mahenryak said:

...But then again, intellectual dishonesty seems to be the hallmark of arguments made by the left these days.  That's all I have to say on this topic.  Enjoy.

removing that, you have a valid point. You can't just take 20 people and say men make more than women. I work in a group of 6 and the men make way less than the women but it's because 2 of my partners have 10+ years experience and me and the other guy are new grads. you can't just pull out men vs. women but I didn't read the article. 
    Okay.  To me when you make an argument that you know won't bear scrutiny then you are not being intellectually honest. 
    I was agreeing with your first point with excluding a slam to the right or left. I think it's "fair" to say both the left and the right skew their reporting. 

XLBGE 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    The debates are really more than a little kabuki theatre at this stage, way before the first primary.  I thought Walker and Rubio did quite well, as well as Kasich.  They were the only ones who really seemed to be prepared for the debate and actually had better than average responses.  The real surprise to me was how unprepared JEB seemed.

Totally agree with this.  Bush looked and acted like he expected to stroll though the debates, primary and right into the White House.  I would add Dr. Carson to your list of those who did well.  He is not a politician and it shows sometimes, but brilliant nonetheless and has some humility and humor as well.  And the NOT a politician part is appealing, at least to me.....same with Carly Fiorina. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    SGH said:
    Can you visually tell or are you relying on the truthfulness of the vendor? 
    Yes sir, you can usually spot their shenanigans. Dry scallops will appear translucent with no visible moisture in the bag if they are bagged. Wet scallops will have a slight milky look about them. If they are bagged and frozen you usually can see where some of the moisture formed ice chunks in the bag. Usually but not always, the only time that they will try to trick you is when you are buying fresh ones. 
    Thanks Scottie. I always buy the fresh ones out of the case because I generally only buy a half dozen or less. I'll know what to look for in the store now. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    SGH said:
    Botch said:
      The "wet" ones can be vastly improved by soaking in water with a little lemon juice and salt. 

It's still a no contest. Especially if you are flash searing them. The dry untreated ones are far better. However if all that you are able to get is the wet ones, then yes, give it a go. I try to avoid them completely if I can. 
    You're probably right; remember, in Utard, most fresh fish is labelled "Ora Ida"...    =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    KennyLee said:
    The debates are really more than a little kabuki theatre at this stage, way before the first primary.  I thought Walker and Rubio did quite well, as well as Kasich.  They were the only ones who really seemed to be prepared for the debate and actually had better than average responses.  The real surprise to me was how unprepared JEB seemed.

Totally agree with this.  Bush looked and acted like he expected to stroll though the debates, primary and right into the White House.  I would add Dr. Carson to your list of those who did well.  He is not a politician and it shows sometimes, but brilliant nonetheless and has some humility and humor as well.  And the NOT a politician part is appealing, at least to me.....same with Carly Fiorina. 

Carson and Fiorina aren't candidates that have much of any staying power.  Really what matters at this stage is fundraising, and neither of them is doing all that well.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    KennyLee said:

Carson and Fiorina aren't candidates that have much of any staying power.  Really what matters at this stage is fundraising, and neither of them is doing all that well.  
    Sad, but again true and agree.  Wish it wasn't all about money, but it always seems to be.  Probably why Bush can be so ho-hum in the debates since he's got the war chest.  However that can turn on a dime, at least this early.  I know Carson has a pretty good grass roots effort and with Fiorina doing so well in the polls after her (albeit JV) debate performance, you never know.  Would love to see either of them get into the finals, so to speak, but not holding my breath.     

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Trump is a flash in the pan...no doubt he is an excellent businessman, but politics is not his forte. If you can't keep your foot out of your mouth you will never win an election. He is dividing the GOP vote ( I think intentionally). 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @Eggcelsior believe me when I say, your political views have nothing to do with if I like you or not. In fact, I'd like to drink some beers with you @nolaegghead and @Sardonicus because I think we all share similar humor.
    And there it is! We should all be able to sit down and have a beer together. And I like this forum because most can dish it out and take a good jab in fun. But our a lot of people are being trained to think if you don't look like, pray like, or think like them then you hate them. It's just sad
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • mahenryak
    Options
    I was agreeing with your first point with excluding a slam to the right or left. I think it's "fair" to say both the left and the right skew their reporting. 
    It wasn't meant as a slam.  I think there really are far more examples of intellectual dishonesty perpetrated by the left in recent times.  It's okay if you think it is evenly split, or if others think it is tilted the other way.  I'm not trying to pick a fight but I do stand by what I said earlier, that's all.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    It wasn't meant as a slam.  I think there really are far more examples of intellectual dishonesty perpetrated by the left in recent times.  It's okay if you think it is evenly split, or if others think it is tilted the other way.  I'm not trying to pick a fight but I do stand by what I said earlier, that's all.
    Ha I know. Sorry it got weird. Didn't mean it like that.  Sent you a PM. Couldn't agree more, just don't see the benefits of me sharing any political or religious beliefs online. Usually just turns into a flame war. 

XLBGE 
  • jabam
    Options
    There is dishonesty on both sides, which is stupid IMO. It's pretty clear that political office is a money grab, so people will do and say anything to get elected. I think most people can watch a debate and see who is honest and truly cares about the issues. While every candidate has their opinions on every issue, can't they just state their views and let us decide if we agree or not? Like I said earlier no one has  grabbed my attention.  I'm looking for a true leader ie; Ronald Reagan. At least you knew what he stood for and there was no back peddling. Like his politics or not he was the last great president we have had. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You guys are making me LOL!!!
    Options
    jabam said:
    ...Ronald Reagan. At least you knew what he stood for and there was no back peddling. Like his politics or not he was the last great president we have had. 
    Couldn't agree more...

• mahenryak
    Options
    You guys are making me LOL!!!
    Just trying to punch my ticket to brisket camp...

• mahenryak
    Options
    Ha I know. Sorry it got weird. Didn't mean it like that.  Sent you a PM. Couldn't agree more, just don't see the benefits of me sharing any political or religious beliefs online. Usually just turns into a flame war. 
    No worries at all. 

• SGH
    Options
    jabam said:
    I'm looking for a true leader ie; Ronald Reagan. At least you knew what he stood for and there was no back peddling. Like his politics or not he was the last great president we have had. 
    AMEN brother.  I will no longer engage in political arguments because no good can come from it and it leads to bad feelings. But you took the words right out of my mouth. It takes a great man to recognize greatness, and you have done just that by acknowledging Big Ron as the last great President that we have had or probably ever will have again. As such, you are now one of my forum favorites. If I can ever help you in any way, just ask my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• jabam
    Options
    SGH said:
    jabam said:
    I'm looking for a true leader ie; Ronald Reagan. At least you knew what he stood for and there was no back peddling. Like his politics or not he was the last great president we have had. 
    AMEN brother.  I will no longer engage in political arguments because no good can come from it and it leads to bad feelings. But you took the words right out of my mouth. It takes a great man to recognize greatness, and you have done just that by acknowledging Big Ron as the last great President that we have had or probably ever will have again. As such, you are now one of my forum favorites. If I can ever help you in any way, just ask my friend. 
    Just help with my cooks. I love to cook just not as creative as you guys! 
  • SGH
    Options
    jabam said:
    Just help with my cooks. 
    You got it brother. Feel free to call, text or PM me anytime if you need help. If you don't have my number I will gladly post it again. 

Status- Standing by.

• mahenryak
    Options
    Okay.  Since I have made a few posts today.   If it isn't abundantly clear, one shouldn't confuse political affiliation with being a good person or a bad person.  There are both good and bad people on either side.  Also, just because you agree with a particular point on one side doesn't mean you are necessarily in that camp.  I try to abstain from this stuff but once in a while I allow myself to get drawn in.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    After finally catching up on this thread tonight, I'm totally voting for the scallops.
  • jabam
    Options
    I'm an average Joe who believes in certain things. If we didn't have different opinions, it wouldn't be America. I love this forum because of the insight and intelligence that most people espouse. Hopefully any differences of opinion are accepted for what they are. That being said go Fresno State Bulldogs and whichever GOP candidate makes it out alive!!!
  • nolaegghead
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @jabam @mahenryak -  Well said.

I like to think we're a country of people, a giant melting pot, all in this together - we should help each other, be friends despite differences in politics, religion, sports team, north/south blustering, race, heritage, musical propensities, and whatever other differences we may have.  This forum is here because we like to cook.  We also get bored and like to have some fun. 

I'm friends with people all over the map.  We play around on this forum - messing with each other, but we're still friends.  Some people get a little too serious about it.  That's where I love to push it over the edge.  That's called trolling.  It's all good, all fun.  Until it isn't, but then it still is.   ;)