Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant Steaks...

Options
2»

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Very rarely. I will at breakfast for steak and eggs......and hashbrowns.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Never made ghee before. Never seen it for sale either. Worth a shot. Thanks!

Very easy to make ghee and keeps forever in frig many Indian grocers have it.  Here is a recipe that might help on your ghee journey.

Butter, Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter)

This is the recipe that I use for making ghee and is reprinted verbatim from the cookbook. The cookbook is a good one that I use often.Except for the cooking restrictions of a handful of religious sects, the haute cuisines of North and Central India has always demanded clarified butter for cooking fat. Clarification removes the milk solids and moisture from butter, leaving only the pure oil. This has a higher smoke point than olive or mustard oils and imparts a delicious flavor to any dish in which it is used. Most important, as far as the hot climate of India is concerned, ghee needs no refrigeration and will last as long as a year without turning rancid, if stored in a cool, dark place.Because or the relative expense of ghee, many Indian families use 75 percent vegetable shortening or clarified margarine to 25 percent butter in their cooking, producing a less rich dish which still retains some of the flavor.

Ingredients:
    2 lb unsalted (sweet) butter

Cooking Directions:

1. Place a pan over medium-low to low heat and add the butter. Melt it and bring it to just below the simmering point. Adjust your heat setting, if necessary, to keep it at that temperature.

2. As the foam gathers on top, keep stirring it back into the oil. Leave the butter oil over the heat for 45 minutes. At the end of that time, the moisture will have evaporated and the milk solids will have formed a layer of sediment on the bottom of the pan.

3. Remove the pan from the heat and let the contents cool to lukewarm.

4. Place a sieve, lined with 2 or 3 layers of paper towels, over the top of a pitcher or bowl and slowly pour the clear butter through it, keeping a much of the sediment as you can in the pan

5. Discard the sediment, wash and dry the pan and set it back on the same heat setting. Pour in the oil and bring it up to under a simmer. Hold it at that temperature for five minutes and then remove it from the heat.

6. Line the sieve with fresh paper towels and strain the oil through once more. It should now be crystal clear.

7. Pour into a wide-mouthed jar, cap tightly and store in a cool place, or refrigerate. You will notice that you will have lost about ¼ pound of the butter by removing the moisture and the sediment.

Special Instructions:

Advanced Preparation And Storage Notes

1. Make the clarified butter whenever you have the time to spare. If you decide to double the recipe, increase the cooking time by one-half. If the ghee is stored unrefrigerated, it will solidify during cold weather and liquefy when the temperature rises. This in no way affects the quality of the flavor.

Servings: 1
    Yield: 1-¾ pounds

Recipe Type: Sauce, Butter

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, RhumAndJerk, 2006/06/15

Author Notes
    The Cuisines of Asia by Jennifer Brennan

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks, Richard. I have an Indian market fairly close by. Good selection of cheap spices too. Plenty of other things I can't pronounce. Haven't looked for ghee, but will next time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Whatever you guys are on, I want some of it! If I want a good steak, I have to go to a restaurant. Not even a question.That's the only place I have found one. Where are you guys buying your steaks?! Am I finally going to have to join Costco or RD? I'm not really interested as I have NEVER gotten my money's worth from any club membership.  

The first steak I cooked on the egg was pretty good, though far from "100% better". I thought, FINALLY, a decent steak! It was a fluke. I haven't had a good one from the egg since then. Not one. Mediocre or worse, every single time. It's been almost six years now.  

Not being a troll. Seriously, my steaks suck. They have no flavor and are almost always tough. They always LOOK good, but they are not. My burgers, chops, fish, chicken (even breasts), roasts, other cuts of beef, are ALWAYS outstanding. Everything is. Except steaks. I rarely even try any more. If it's simply a question of finding a good butcher and spending $20+ a pound, then I'm out.
    I travel A LOT and eat at more steak houses than I should.  I find most high quality ones make a great steak. But, I can make a good one one the egg too- plus it's a different style as it has a smokey flavor you can't get from a Salamander broiler. I might suggest the biggest thing you are likely missing is the finishing butter- most steak houses load it down upon the finish and it makes all the difference in the world.  Mix up some garlic, herb, salt infused finishing butter and see if it points you to happiness. 
    You are so right about the use of a finishing butter.
    LBGE and Mini
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Clarified or just unsalted cream butter infused with herbs for a finish and board sauce is pure money. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    For many decades I have followed a simple rule (for me) at a restaurant.  Never order that which you can cook at home.  I have had some great dishes that otherwise would have been missed.  Thus I can't comment on restaurant steaks vs BGE.
    The above said, when I get to Austin I will do the Franklin brisket.  Sometimes you gotta break the rule. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Rarely if ever anymore get a steak out. Buying a premium quality steak to grill at home is still cheaper than getting one out. I guess I am a food snob. I feel most times I can make a meal just a well as one out and a lot cheaper.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

What temp are you hitting? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Sure I do. Yes, you CAN cook a fantastic steak on an Egg. But, if you think you can't get better or do it better you'd be sorely mistaken. I'm always looking for ways to improve my methodology in anything I cook. I can name at least 5 commercial establishments that make a legit steak and that list isn't including those with aged prime. 
    I agree with this.  To me, it isn't necessarily a 'my steak is better than this restaurant's steak', although that it sometimes the case.  It is a question of 'Is my steak better than my version of some other dish on the menu?'  That could come down to technique, imagination, quality of ingredients, or something else.

It's an imperfect explanation, because there are price and time issues as well, but next time I'm in Austin, I'll be much more excited to eat at Qui rather than Franklin Barbecue.  Not because I think my brisket is remotely as good (it isn't), but because I KNOW my brisket is better than my attempt at this tasting menu would be.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I did a post on this a year or so ago about this.  I have had some good streaks out, but I too make a better one on the egg and I beleive that the quality of meat has a lot to do with it. I like buying my meat from Sam's, haven't had a bad steak from there yet.

There are only a few places I get a steak out.

@CarolinaQ.  For an easy steak cook; get egg to 650-700 direct, cook 2 minutes a side, turn 1/4 turn if you want the cross.  Shut both both vents and let it ride for 4 minutes for medium if the steak is 3/4" to 1".  If thinner, cut time back a minute or two.  Works for me everytime.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    henapple said:

What temp are you hitting? 
    I assume you mean the steaks, not ghee. I don't think it's a question of technique. Unless I get distracted, they always come out a beautiful medium rare. Nice sear on the outside (or grill marks if I want that). I don't have a problem cooking a steak that looks good, inside or out.

I've done a couple using my cooler with 120° water then searing for a bit (tinkering with sous vide before I decide to buy a real one) and, while those have been a little better, they are still not what a steak should be. Not very tender and lacking flavor. I've even "tenderized" them with a jaccard. Still tough.

I am fairly sure my problem is simple. I just won't spend what a good steak apparently costs. I suppose I should dust the cobwebs off my wallet and give an expensive steak a shot some day... but I'm afraid I might like it too much! =) I used to be able to find all the good steak I wanted at ordinary, affordable grocery store prices. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    Options
    Blasphemous... I haven't egged a steak in a while. Sous vide or redneck hot tub. Season, seal and set at 125. Cast iron sear with butter flipping every 20-30 seconds. I've done the same thing in the sink. Mine usually come out at 110 from the sink. I have seared on the egg when there were a lot to cook. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I am fairly sure my problem is simple. I just won't spend what a good steak apparently costs. 
    After reading your earlier statements and looking at your posts from the past, I'm inclined to agree that it's the quality of meat that you are using. You say that the steaks look great, that alone usually rules out poor technique. You have been around long enough that I just can't imagine that it's something that you are doing wrong. There is a old saying that goes: "You can't make chicken salad with chicken $hit". This applies to a great steak as well. If you start with junk, chances are that you will end up with junk. With all that said, if you were closer I would gladly let you cook one of my pristine ribeyes just to see. That would certainly remove all doubt my friend. But again, I honestly feel that it's the poor quality meat that you are using. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    Options
    Publix had a whole tenderloin for around $13 lb... Unbelievable taste. I was surprised. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    @Carolina Q 
    I typically use something like Montreal Steak seasoning.  If I do S&P, I have mixture of home ground black,green,pink and white peppercorns plus mustard seed. Hot=more Black, more mild=less Black.  We have a "coffee" grinder dedicated to nothing but spices.  

Or you try this: 
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steak-au-poivre-recipe.html 

I have made it both stovetop and egged. 

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I can get ribeyes for $5.99lb so a good steak doesn't break the bank
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I never heard of it before this thread but I was at a Hy-Vee grocery store this afternoon and happened by this..there was an isle labeled Indian / Asian cuisine for those who might also be looking.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I agree to a point... The best steakhouses are getting cuts of steak that are sometimes very hard to find depending on your location. A nice Prime dry aged ribeye should be in the $25 lb plus range... So IMO it's more than technique, quality of the beef is extremely important for a true steakhouse experience.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I would rather buy a smaller premium cut than a large economy cut.

Gerhard
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    I would rather buy a smaller premium cut than a large economy cut.

Gerhard
    I agree 1000%
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    henapple said:
    Blasphemous... I haven't egged a steak in a while. Sous vide or redneck hot tub. Season, seal and set at 125. Cast iron sear with butter flipping every 20-30 seconds.
    @henapple how long do you leave them in the water?  I have had decent results with 4-6 hours but I wonder if it would be better to do something more drastic (longer).

thanks
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Ditto to everyone else - I don't bother ordering steaks out - or ribs, pulled pork and usually brisket. And that's saying a lot here in Texas. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I agree with not ordering brisket, most places seem to undercook it around here and then slice with meat slicer so you get these thin dry slices of tasteless beef.  I know a few places that do it well and will have it there.

Gerhard
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    Blasphemous... I haven't egged a steak in a while. Sous vide or redneck hot tub. Season, seal and set at 125. Cast iron sear with butter flipping every 20-30 seconds.
    @henapple how long do you leave them in the water?  I have had decent results with 4-6 hours but I wonder if it would be better to do something more drastic (longer).

thanks
    You shouldn't leave anything in a SV/hot tub at 130 or under for more than 2-2.5 hours. That's basically like trying the potato salad at the picnic after it's been in the sun for a few hours.

Steaks don't need a long SV time because they don't have much connective tissue like ribs or chuck do. The only reason for long times is to break those down at something like 135 vs the 160 range that low and slow does.
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    It's been my experience that you can almost always grill better food than a restaurant can. Their main purpose is to sell and serve food. By cooking for yourself, you put more time and effort into it.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • henapple
    Options
    henapple said:

thanks
    You shouldn't leave anything in a SV/hot tub at 130 or under for more than 2-2.5 hours. That's basically like trying the potato salad at the picnic after it's been in the sun for a few hours.

Steaks don't need a long SV time because they don't have much connective tissue like ribs or chuck do. The only reason for long times is to break those down at something like 135 vs the 160 range that low and slow does.
    I concur
  • WooPig
    WooPig Posts: 17
    Options

Sunday picked up a 10" lodge cast iron plate and figured I would try something different. Seared at 500 with garlic herb butter until one side was crisp and then flipped and put a tbs of the same butter on the other side and shut the egg completely down. Paired with a spinach salad. Turned out pretty darn good. Still need to work on perfecting it but it's still better than any cow I'd get at a restaurant. 
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    henapple said:
    henapple said:

thanks

I concur
    Thaks gents