Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

191011121315»

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @ctmike that peach smells so good while it's burning, you'll want to stick your head in the chimney. 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Yes!  My elf came through and I was hopin' for a Texan!  @Eggingaround hooked me up with a great selection. I cannot wait to start tasting. Chris, I have some leftover brisket that's getting some Blackberry Jalapeño jam tomorrow!  SWMBO is a big egg fan and I know she'll love trying John Henry's and everything your wife recommends. Hell, she'll love all of it. Thank you!  And thanks @cazzy this has been a blast. So much fun unwrapping each item. And nothing broken. Great job eggingaround!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Good looking stuff @JohnInCarolina. Many of those items I have never seen. 
    Me too honestly.  One of the cool things about this exchange is getting out there and finding all this local stuff you never knew about.
    Totally agree!  I had fun looking for locally/regionally made stuff. It was like a scavenger hunt. And the best part was giving it in hopes the egghead will use and enjoy it. We have a VERY giving group here. Real cool event to have participated in. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    @tarheelmatt    WOWOWOW!!  What a great gift!!  Thank you so much!  I've only heard of the Bone Suckin sauce (never tried).  I do love cooking up some pig and I can tell I'm in for a treat!!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

@cazzy thanks for putting this together. 

All:  it's been a great experience. What a great group of people we have here.  
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    @Cookbook_Chip glad it FINALLY made it to you! You're in for a treat tomorrow morning with that BlackBerry Jalapeño jelly. Enjoy everything. Thanks again @cazzy for putting this together for everyone!!!
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Okay...who do we have left?  Anyone still waiting?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited July 2015
    Yes!  My elf came through and I was hopin' for a Texan!  @Eggingaround hooked me up with a great selection....
    OKAY OKAY OKAY...STOP THE PRESSES!!!

What is Texas Gunpowder?   :confused: 

That just looks a little too interesting.   I may have to get me some.  :smiley: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Texas gunpowder is Jalapeño powder. I put it on my popcorn to give it some attitude. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I keep it on the counter in a duster shaker my wife used to keep powdered sugar in. Eggs nachos mexican burgers  all kinds of good uses
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • scgirlinoh
    scgirlinoh Posts: 10
    @CTMike Glad you liked everything...enjoy! Also, second the thank you to @cazzy. This was a lot of fun...appreciate the late add. Already looking forward to the next one. 
  • KiterTodd
    Texas gunpowder is Jalapeño powder. I put it on my popcorn to give it some attitude. 
    Phew!  Okay...I've used that before (Penzeys version).  I thought those Texans had invented something new there.  ;)

LBGE/Maryland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    KiterTodd said:
    Phew!  Okay...I've used that before (Penzeys version).  I thought those Texans had invented something new there.  ;)

I got some of Texas Gunpowder in mine too, but haven't tried it yet. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Got my package from @dldawes1 Monday. We all know I couldn't post my haul yesterday so on with it. He did a jam up job supplying me with Kentuckys finest. I'm so happy  with all of it as its all new to me. Makers Mark is the only one I've heard of but never tried. Can't thank Donnie enough for his generous gift or @cazzy for putting tis whole thing together. What a blast!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • scgirlinoh
    scgirlinoh Posts: 10
    Big thanks to my egg elf (Wes!) So many great Colorado sauces and rubs. Lots of heat...love it! The wildflower honey, too. Coming back to the office after being on vacation wasn't so bad with all these goodies waiting for me. Thanks too for the Dizzy Pig...big Dizzy Pig fan and have not had the Red Eye Express yet. Can't wait to try them all!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Glad you like the items @ GATraveller
    GATraveller  

Hope you enjoy them !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• GATraveller
    Big thanks to my egg elf (Wes!) So many great Colorado sauces and rubs. Lots of heat...love it! The wildflower honey, too. Coming back to the office after being on vacation wasn't so bad with all these goodies waiting for me. Thanks too for the Dizzy Pig...big Dizzy Pig fan and have not had the Red Eye Express yet. Can't wait to try them all!
    Love the WSP/ABB concert poster.  Well placed!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Well, I was out of town when mine came in and my wife showed it all to me via FAce time. Then I come home and she was nice enough to put it all up. And mix it in with all my other stuff! So now I gotta figure out what was this year and what was last year!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GATraveller
    Well, I was out of town when mine came in and my wife showed it all to me via FAce time. Then I come home and she was nice enough to put it all up. And mix it in with all my other stuff! So now I gotta figure out what was this year and what was last year!
    Good luck with that   =)

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • KiterTodd
    edited July 2015
    Holy smoked meat, Batman...what can all of this be!!!!!   ?!?!

:D

As I was on vacation for a good portion of this exchange, my elfster and I decided to wait a bit on him sending it out.  Well, @GATraveller sent out this awesome package from Georgia today with all kinds of BBQ love that I have never tried before.   STOKED!!!

Everything was packed great, and I think I only had one breakage which I suspect was just a knife nick on the Spicy Sauce bottle when I was cutting off the bubble wrap.  It's in the fridge and is therefore the first one up for use this weekend!

Now, I am going to take a butt out of the freezer and have to decide which rub to use on it.  Any favorites on here?

That BBQ marinade sauce also looks interesting for some chicken and damn that pink bottle of Pig-N-Chik looks like my kind of pulled pork sauce!  Da-amn.

Thanks @GATraveller!!  And thanks @cazzy for all the effort to organize this exchange.  Loads of fun all around.  Sending, receiving, and watching all the activity on this thread. :plus_one: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GATraveller
    edited July 2015
    Sorry I forgot the letter.  I was in such a strut dealing with the USPS that I forgot to put the letter in the box and didn't realize until it was sealed.  The Fox Bros rub is great on a butt and so is Lambert's.  Lambert's is my go-to.

Happy Holla is awesome on butts as well.  It's a Kansas City rub but incredible on ribs with a bit of brown sugar.

Carolina "Rub Some Butt" is good mixed 50/50 with Butt Rub on pork tenderloin. 

Not sure what your thoughts are on okra but I love it (and it's HOT).  

I know Chiavettas isn't from the South but it's one of our family favorites.  Just follow the directions on the jug.

Johnny Harris is a BBQ sauce we grew up on (spending summers in Savannah) - you'll either love it or hate it.

Glad you like it and happy everything made it in one piece.  My wrapping is quite laughable!!!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • KiterTodd
    Love Okra!

What is the bottle you were getting from the local joint?  The Pig-N-Chik?

Can't wait to try these. :plus_one:  :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland
  • GATraveller
    Yes.....Pig-N-Chik is the local BBQ joint.  They call that one "Hot Carolina Red".  I've been friends/neighbors with the owners for 15 years.  Great bunch of guys who put out consistently great Q.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Pretty awesome to STILL be seeing great posts on this thread; very cool stuff. @scgirlinoh let me know what you think of those Golden Toad sauces in particular. They make a steak seasoning that's outstand (I especially like it on potato wedges roasted in the egg!), but I've never run into their other stuff.

I also think I need to hunt down some Texas Gunpowder because awesome! Maybe I can find it when I come out to Austin, but I have a feeling i'm going to arrive with one carry one and return with multiple checked bags anyway...

Gilding the lily to the Nth degree here, but @cazzy you're the man!

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Well I had another awesome surprise.  @bowhnter sent me yet another package. This time two bottles of sauce. I cant even tell you how much I appreciate it. We LOVE bbq sauce of all kinds. The first box was great and the additional stuff was totally unnecessary but absolutely appreciated. If theres anything I can ever do for you dont hesitate to ask. If you see anything in the box I sent to my elf that you'd like to try just let me know. 

Little Rock, AR

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    KiterTodd said:
    Love Okra!

I add a little pickled okra juice to my Bloody's.....of course garnish with the okra as well. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    @Biggreenpharmacist  I hope you enjoy it Shane.  I think you'll really like the Sweet Fire.

Cheer's 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • GATraveller
    KiterTodd said:
    Love Okra!

I add a little pickled okra juice to my Bloody's.....of course garnish with the okra as well. 

I take those Hot Pickled Okra and quarter them length-wise and place slices on/under hot dogs.  Awesome!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA