Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pan - Disposable or regalar pan?

I know that some people like using one and others dont.  For those of you that do, do you use a disposable metal pan?  Or did you buy like an actual baking pan and you just reuse it?  I was reading somewhere last night that the disposable ones are not recommended because they were too thin.  Not totally clear on what the issues there could be but it got me curious. 

Anyone use a more permanent solution?  If so, what kind?  A baking pan of some sort? Teflon coated?  

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I have a round pizza pan that I just cover with foil.

Not sure why a disposable would be a problem. Just make sure to have some spacers (which I do with my non-disposable pan) between the plate setter and pan.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I use disposable all the time-makes no sense to move grease from one container to another then have to clean a grease from the pan--I buy cheap pans with lids- put the lid on the pan put in a trash bag then in the trash
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Disposable, with a few small pebbles between it and the platesetter. I tried a baking pan and made my wife made, plus I hate cleaning it. Heavy duty aluminum foil makes a good drip pan too. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • d16lee
    d16lee Posts: 46
    I just put disposable 11x14" I believe directly on the plate setter.  No issues.

I have the BGE pan and used it a few times as a drip pan.  The effort to clean it is just not worth it...  And as lkapigian says, you have to transfer the grease to another container and can't just pour down the drain.  So why create that step?
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    For me it is all about convenience. I use either a disposable pan or double up on foil and make one myself that is the size I need.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    I took our old baking sheets out of the kitchen when we got new ones and just use those covered in foil with some wadded up foil underneath for spacers. Works good enough and they were just going to get thrown away anyway. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    I use disposable pans that I get at a restaurant supply store.  Only a couple of dollars for a dozen. If they aren't too bad I will wash and reuse.
    I use an old grid from one of my bullet smokers to stand off the platesetter. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Do you guys using disposable have problems with water evaporating faster than when you used thicker?
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    I don't use any water. I did in the bullet smoker, never in the egg.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Disposable for sure.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Ceramic Grill Store sells 14" diameter stainless steel drip pans that fit the plate setter on the large egg perfectly.  A single coating of aluminum foil keeps the pan clean and makes disposal of the drippings easy.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I use the aluminum disposable ones from Costco.  They get all nasty, so it's easy to toss them.  I always worry about ripping the aluminum foil is using a nicer pan--I don't want to have to clean them up. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @stlcharcoal ... it's all about style ... ceramic, CI, or stainless defines the egg!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I use a pan lined with aluminum foil. Foil makes for easy cleanup (get the extra wide foil). Permanent pan means not running out of disposable ones. I normally use a round pan that just fits in the plate setter. Sometimes use a rectangular pan if using the v-rack. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    @stlcharcoal ... it's all about style ... ceramic, CI, or stainless defines the egg!

Screw that.....I'm getting 24-carat gold plated ones, then I'll light it with the Benjamins.  Oh wait, I'm in the charcoal business--tin plates and newspaper it is. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I finally bought the BGE rectangular non-stick drip pan. Got tire of spending $ here and $ there for alum foil drip pans. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I use both, disposable or permanent from CGS, depending on the cook.
    I just have 4 3/8 in steel nuts I toss on the stone to elevate the pan.  They'll last forever. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    I use the aluminum disposable ones from Costco.  They get all nasty, so it's easy to toss them.  I always worry about ripping the aluminum foil is using a nicer pan--I don't want to have to clean them up. 
    +1 - Costco disposable pans are convenient and cheap.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    +1 with disposable pans-sitting on the antique BGE feet.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I use a circular pizza pan, with a lip on it. Might've gotten it from Ceramic Grill Store. I cover it foil, and change the foil. The pan itself looks beat up and discolored now, but whatever, I don't use it for a cooking surface.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    + another on disposable 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I use hard pans. A BGE pan was a gift early on so I just use it. Most of the time, I wrap the platesetter and go without a pan when I'm doing butts or ribs.  I like a little sizzle. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    A cheap pizza pan works great and covers more area.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I've got a hard round pan that I cover in foil and use in the small.  The large gets disposable aluminum pizza pans most of the time.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.