Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I need a Cast Iron Skillet?

Options
I don't have a cast iron skillet I can use on my LBGE.  So what am I missing by not having one?  What do some of you cook on your CI skillet that make it indispensable?  Was at Cabellas earlier today and they have a 16" skillet that is just a little too wide with the handles, so any recommendations if I do get CI skillet for a nice big one that would fit my LBGE?
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    Options
    Do you not have one at all, or just not one that fits nicely on a BGE?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • drano
    drano Posts: 39
    Options
    French toastbiscuitstatersquesadillassquashspanish cornother cooks include bacon, sausage, gravy, cinnamon rolls, deep dish pizza. I could not live without my CI. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Get a lodge. Pretty cheap and works well. For me, I make deep dish pizzas in it that are killer. I also sauté veggies for let's say fajitas while I am grilling the skirt steak on egg at same time. Have done steaks on grid over indirect piece with empty skillet on top "heating" then sear off real quick. Possibilities endless
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Have a big one that won't fit
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Lodge from Walmart. Cast iron has a lot of uses. 

In this one cook I used cast iron to bake potatoes and apples. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    Options
    Have a big one that won't fit
    Well I think you got your answer buddy!  You may not NEED a CI for your Egg, but you definitely WANT one!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Can you modify your current skillet-I removed the handle from one I used on a LBGE so I can now also use on a SBGE.  Just need some good gloves-both hands.  
    :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Want to make @Mattman3969 splayed chicken?  Then you need at least an SK10 Lodge skillet.  A few minutes with a hacksaw and file will yield a loose fit in a large egg.

Not the most elegant solution, but it works.  Plus it fits (a little tight) on the spider for those screaming hot steak searing nights.

The skillet only cost me $12.95 on the defect counter, so no great loss if it finally goes belly up.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Everyone needs a ci in my opinion. I moved into my house and the previous people left two in the over drawer. Score one for me. Reseasoned and off we go.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Think of all the things you can cook in an oven and then move them to the egg. A CI pan/skillet/DO is one of the best ways to cook on an egg as pyrex or other glass dishes are not always egg friendly. Potatoes au gratin, deep dish pizza, casseroles, chill etc...
    The Lodge L8DD3 is a great unit. It is a Dutch Oven with a skillet top. The top has D handles so it fits in the egg very well. The skillet top can cook anything you can cook in a regular skillet. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yes... You can always cut the handles if you need. I have a small one for the mini... Cornbread. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Got this plancha/griddle on Amazon, fits large great and I find the shape more versatile than a round pan. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Use our collection for anything and everything. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    To me CI for the egg is a must.  At least a Dutch oven and a skillet.  Nothing like egged chili & soups or good o'l smoke kissed cornbread.  And like @jeepster47 says, splayed chickens are very good, but I can't take the credit for that one cause it was @nolaegghead that first posted it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Got to have it for steaks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    got to have it for cornbread...

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

I use my Cast Iron skillet a lot. Brownies, bacon crumbles, s'more dip, and pierogies are just some of the things I have cooked in it. It is a #10 antique that was my grandmother's. I won't be cutting the handle off. Instead, I bought a nice 9X9 with no handle at Menard's the other day. It works just as good.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I bought a 12" square iron pan at Ikea for about $7 a few years ago, and that little pan is my "go to" for just about everything that would otherwise run through the grates. Lasagna, pizza, beans, veggies, pies, frying oil, drip pan,

I use iron for nearly everything I don't want grill lines on, or that would fall through the grate.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hi @DoofusOfTheDay.  Cast iron is terrific.  I've develped a pretty decent collection upwards of 30 pieces, but truth be told you could probably do most everything with this piece, and maybe a 12" skillet.  I've also pretty much stopped using all the ribbed pieces - they are a pain to clean for what that's worth.

I'd suggest picking up a Ringer for cleaning - makes things super quick.

Phoenix 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Since @mickey went with the "got to have it".  You got to have it for seared scallops & tuna 

And for Fajitas 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Can't believe you didn't have one before you got your Egg.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Love me some cobbler on the Egg. 
    GWN
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think you should want one......get one, regardless of needing one. JMTCW
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    It's nice to have.  Lot's of options.   I have several pieces, but I think my standard large CI skillet fits in my LBGE, offset, when I close the lid.   A CI Dutch Oven is also nice for pork or short rib cooks.   I love any CI skillet, any size, for making scallops.

Yuuuu-up!   You should get one.  :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I might grab that one from cabellas and chop off a handle its one of those with a small handle on each side.  If I did that it would fit and make a huge surface to cook on. 
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    BBQ Baked Beans, I have smaller, individual serving cast iron pieces for grilled onions/mushrooms.  Bought the fajita plates with wooden holders.  Chili off the egg is amazing.  Made a pan of brownies as well.  Love my cast iron stuff. 

You will find lots of uses for it and enjoy it once you have it.  Go for it!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Go get one or two for sure. =)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Sandi_k
    Sandi_k Posts: 52
    Options
    We bought a Lodge CI Dutch oven from Amazon - and we've used it for searing pork chops, and then cooking them in a maple/bourbon marinade. Awesome.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga