Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I need a Cast Iron Skillet?

Options
13»

Comments

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    I just got that 16" round skillet with 2 loop handles from Cabelas and it fits perfectly inside my Large Green Egg. It's snug but goes with about 1/2" clearance on each handle. I haven't cooked with it yet but I can confirm that it does fit. 
    The Lodge 17" however, does not! I speak from experience!

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    I just got that 16" round skillet with 2 loop handles from Cabelas and it fits perfectly inside my Large Green Egg. It's snug but goes with about 1/2" clearance on each handle. I haven't cooked with it yet but I can confirm that it does fit. 
    The Lodge 17" however, does not! I speak from experience!

Exactly!  Was yours a bit rough on the inside bottom?  I'm sure it would have worked fine, but being a bit of a woodworker, it was bothering me that it could have been smoother so sanded it smooth.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I haven't cooked in anything other than cast iron for 35 years so I have no comparisons. Well I do have a stainless pasta pot from All Clad. And I have two pieces of Le Crueset that I use for acidic foods, but those are cast iron with an enamel surface--so still cast iron. I tried cooking on a "regular pan" one time at a friends house but it didn't end well, so I bought him one for when I visit. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.