Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman try ....

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Trying caveman tonight.  Need help on seasoning.

I was thinking just salt?  I don't want pepper to turn bitter with the searing.  What do you manly men season your caveman steaks with?
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    salt and salt, it needs alot of salt and lava red coals
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Standing by for the outcome and pics.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You should contact that Fred Flintstone guy.  Something tells me he would know how to do it.
    Options
    You should contact that Fred Flintstone guy.  Something tells me he would know how to do it.
    I read Wilma actually does all the cooking.  Not sure if thats true or not.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    why not just go no seasoning, then finish with compound butter with your seasoning?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I used salt, pepper and about 1/4 tsp of DP cowlick across two steaks. They did not get bitter.  Note - I think the thicker the steak the better.  1 3/4 a 2" I think would be ideal. Also, let the sit out a bit to warm a hair. I would not go directly from fridge to hot coals. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Salt and pepper work fine. As stated above, generous on the salt. Finish with compound butter. Good luck!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The pepper will burn....and make a crust. I used Montreal Steak Seasoning (my go to until the rub exchange)....The burned crust is tasty if eaten after a reasonable rest. Refrigerate and eat later.....not so much. I think you use some pepper but sparingly....based on my experience. I agree with @Sea2Ski ....steak thickness is a key to this cook.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I used meat church holy cow on my porter house! It was just fine. Rested for about 8 min! Perfect
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Wow ok guys.  Just finished the cook.  I almost died.

The only reason the steak made it out was I'm cheap!  There were flames up to my elbows.  I couldn't see the steak for the final grab.  I felt like I was is a war.

I got it out though.  It is resting now, except for the corner I cut off.  Holy smokes.  It is good.

Just used lawrys and regular salt.

It was thinner than I wanted, but 17.99 lb made me flinch.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    yummmm....

Encrusted with salt, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and heterocyclic amines (HCAs).   I'd hit that despite the mutagens.
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks great... I close the lid between flips to help keep the flames down
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Did you scorch your suit jacket?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Did you scorch your suit jacket?
    Luckily no.  I was smart enough and set it aside.  The cuff links got pretty hot though.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Close dome after put meat on then Close again after flip. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I closed between .... 2:45 on 1st side, 1:45 on 2nd side.  When I opened looked like hell had unleashed its fury.  No top on and bottom vent fully opened.  While closed I had flames coming out the top.
  • islanderegger
    Options
    Those look real good, that's when welding gloves come in handy. :)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options
    I closed between .... 2:45 on 1st side, 1:45 on 2nd side.  When I opened looked like hell had unleashed its fury.  No top on and bottom vent fully opened.  While closed I had flames coming out the top.
    Once you get a good bed of coals, close the bottom vent halfway +/- .  It helped control the flaming on my cooks. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    You could have at least invited me over to watch ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That crust is sexy and I like the fine china.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Once you get a good bed of coals, close the bottom vent halfway +/- .  It helped control the flaming on my cooks. 
    And I melt butter on top while resting to break up some char and mellow it out. Looks fantastic! 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    But was it better tasting than a reverse sear?
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Nice job, looks delicious, we'll put you in for a medal of valor.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    You need to edit the thread title from Caveman Try to Caveman Nailed.

looks good - if it didn't seem dangerous, it wouldn't taste as good.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    NJ_BBQ said:
    But was it better tasting than a reverse sear?
    Definetly better than reverse sear.  Rivals a good CI sear.  Will be doing it again for sure.  Probably look for a cut with more fat around edges and not as much in the center.