Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Egg has changed me

Options
A couple of weeks ago in metro Atlanta, a bull got himself stuck in an old well. When they finally got him out, as he started to run away, I found myself eyeballing his brisket for God's sake! Also, I have found myself actually smelling my Egg when I'm miles away from it! I can smell BBQ while I'm driving on the freeway!!!! Am I alone in this?
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• SmokeLife
    SmokeLife Posts: 64
    Options
    I don't even order ribs at a restaurant anymore. Always disappointed...
    Large BGE
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Lol. Now that is both very funny and spot on. I agree. I tend to not discuss outdoor cooking with people i dont know well. I have nothing to add when discussing the great deal on my new grill--discussions. I think my egg was a fantastic deal and i just bought another one after I cook on it at the eggfest. To me eggfest price for an XL is awesome and more expensive than any grill at a big box. And no you are not alone. When you can smell your grill away from home or think of it fondly. Most of us start thinking about what to cook a week in advance. It is also true, it does change your life. Nothing seams impossible on it and then you wonder how the heck you lived without it. If i told you you couldn't have it anymore you might seriously think about trading in the kitchen and moving outside full time. Life kind of slows down with an egg. They dont like to be hurried. When i bought mine I was scared I would never use it. Today I keep plenty of lump on hand and worry more about running out of edible product than how to cook it. Enjoy the journey my friend.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Have fun... We don't even go out to eat much anymore..  My wife won't even consider eating pulled pork out....  Suits me!! 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    When I bought my XL, I got rid of my patio furniture to make the area more sociable while cooking. Then I redesigned the patio, made it larger. Changed out the fridge, then got a larger freezer. Added a bar. Added sound system. Bought another egg, buy lump, 25 bags at a time, worry like hell, I do not have enough. Buy aluminum foil at Costco by the 1000 foot, butcher string, by the 1000 feet, cutlery, don't get me started there, drip pans, smoking wood, (12 varieties) 6 thermo pens, yeti coolers and tumblers, ice machine, storage shelves, tables for the eggs, lighting, ..........need I go on? And this is just since March, this year.
    Yes I have a recliner for my egg OCD therapy sessions, and trust me me it has a cup holder for my 30 oz yeti.
    Changed my life completely.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    Since we bought the egg, we hardly ever use our oven, although the toaster oven does still get some work.  You'll probably start to notice yourself making some circular arguments (beneficially) with the spouse.  The more you use the egg, the more you want better meat and additional equipment, which means you use the egg more, which means...
    One more thing - don't have your credit cards nearby as you read the forum.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    You hit the mark with this thread! We rarely go out to eat anymore. Haven't boiled corn on the cob in in years, I plan cooks a week or more in advance.  I get excited about going to the resturant supply store or butcher shop. My wife likes the way I smell when I've been egging. Tonight she posted pics of her cook on FB (blueberry cobbler). 

Although, I've never eyeballed brisket on the hoof, or considered egging cat - I know where you're coming from!!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    When I go to Home Depot for something, I notice that they have rows of gas grills, and I shake my head. Yeah, gas is really convenient, but you trade that for flavor. I have had many grills over the years, but I've never had the quality and versatility that you get with an Egg.

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I know this sounds corney, but as retailers, we get this all the time. The egg is life changing to many people. Our past customers are our best salespersons. Often they are in the store for one reason or another and there is someone looking to buy an egg, but on the fence. The egg owners are passionate and it come across to the buyer almost every time. This is always unsolicited by us, of course, but it happens a lot. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @NoobZero said:

"A couple of weeks ago in metro Atlanta, a bull got himself stuck in an old well. When they finally got him out, as he started to run away, I found myself eyeballing his"

Whoa Cowboy! I thought you were going to say something different than brisket. 

I understand eggdrawal. What I don't understand is how you can smell your egg. You guys might want to check in with your doctor. You know, the one that lets you lay/lie on the couch. Not sure if it's lay or lie. I guess either will work. Phantosmia is not normal. :dizzy: 

To answer your question, yes I can smell BBQ on the freeway if I'm driving by someone having a BBQ; same as if I drive by a dead skunk. One is just more pleasant than the other. :get_outta_here: 

No, I can't smell my egg when I'm miles from it unless I don't change my clothes after Egging. I'm not gonna lie, that does happen. :lol: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    LDR said:
    But, you do get an opportunity for some inside jokes.  My sister recently made the comment that she didn't know what to do with her cat.  I said 350 indirect.  She didn't understand - which was probably good.
    LOL!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Every time I go grocery shopping, I'm thinking about my Egg. I plan my weekends around my Egg. Week night meals go on the Egg at every opportunity. I poured a concrete pad and built a roof to shelter my Egg.

My wife tells me that I would make ice cream on the Egg if there was a way to do it.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    abpgwolf said:

Although, I've never eyeballed brisket on the hoof, or considered egging cat - I know where you're coming from!!
    I'm just a obsessed as the next guy, but I have not reached this point either. LOL
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    SmokeLife said:
    I don't even order ribs at a restaurant anymore. Always disappointed...
    Have also had BBQ when we eat out and have said "eh I could have done better with my Egg."
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • s_claus
    s_claus Posts: 74
    Options
    Went out for dinner a couple weeks ago with family. Went to a fairly well known and decent steakhouse. Sat there eating my ribeye, and realized that the one I had cooked on the egg the previous weekend was better. Guess it's not worth going out for steak any more. What's next?
    HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    claus said:
    Le Rendez-Vous
    N52 W35002 Lake Dr
    Okauchee‎ WI‎ 53069Went out for dinner a couple weeks ago with family. Went to a fairly well known and decent steakhouse. Sat there eating my ribeye, and realized that the one I had cooked on the egg the previous weekend was better. Guess it's not worth going out for steak any more. What's next?

EVERYTHING!

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    LDR said:
    My sister recently made the comment that she didn't know what to do with her cat.  I said 350 indirect.  
     You had more tact than this guy...

Phoenix