Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My New LBGE Table

Ok, so I apologize in advance, but this is very picture heavy.  At this point, I only have the cabinet door handles left to put on, and they aren't in yet, so I thought now would be appropriate to show off my table.  Since it's relatively late I will only post the pics, but will try to post my thoughts, my critical dimensions, and my lessons learned.

Comments

• BKing
    BKing Posts: 16
    Great looking table, just got my egg this past weekend and looking to build a table like this. Did you come up with the plans? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Very nice job. 

Just about every time I draw up plans, I pine for the metric system.
    Spectacular. You will enjoy that table for eggin!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Very nice job. 

Amen.  I'm a Quality Control Manager for a large scale general contractor, and metric jobs are a billion times better/easier.  Why do we have to be so different from the rest of the civilized world? 

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

Life is good, why wouldn’t it be, I’m a Pirate after all. 

• Beautiful table made with some great skill.  Enjoy.

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

Life is good, why wouldn’t it be, I’m a Pirate after all. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Looks like red cedar, nice choice. Should be durable. What did you use for a finish, it really made the grain pop!!
    Nice job - are all your tools DeWalt?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• JT_Thomas
    JT_Thomas Posts: 101
    Ok, so here are my thoughts/lessons learned:

- Let me start by saying that this was literally my first wood working project.  I am not particularly hand, but my Father in Law is and he helped me quite a bit.  I say this to let all you guys know that want to build one but haven't, you can do this.  But I do recommend getting a  little help from a handy friend/relative  - I started this process by scouring this forum for different table ideas, and tried to blend them into my table.  The basic design of the table was taken from http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178778/texas-style-table-in-canada/p1.  As you can see, the general construction of the table is the same.  I read where he was starting to have some trouble w/ his top, so I decided I'd go granite.  I also wanted my table to be a little longer, which made me make double cabinet doors instead of 1.
    - Note: If  you decide to go granite, expect your cost to at least double.  Likely more than double, but at the very least it will double your cost.  All told, I think I have approximately $250 in cedar lumber, $50 in polyurethane (b/c I had to buy a 2nd quart), $25 on hinges, and $325 in the granite.
    - Lesson learned #1: I'm an engineer, and as an engineer, I like to deal w/ absolutes.  Meaning if it says a 2X4 is actually 1 1/2" X 3 1/2", then that is what i expect, and that is how I drew up my plans.  Instead they vary from slightly less than 1 1/2" to close to 1 3/4" in width.  Again, this was my first wood working job, so I was unaware of this.  Point being, be a little flexible when you start building, as it won't turn out exactly like you drew it up.
    - Since I'm an engineer, I was able to draw the plans up in CAD, and dimension it, which did end up helping quite a bit despite the dimensions not working out exactly right.
    - All the wood is cedar.  My 4X4 and 2X4's were all smooth 4 sides, but my 1X4's were smooth 3 sides, rough cut 1 side.  This was considerably cheaper, but does add a bit of extra sanding at the end.
    - I used very little in the way of tools.  Basically a mitre saw, table saw (b/c the dimensions never work out due to varying sized wood, you will inevitably need to rip a couple boards), jigsaw, pocket hole jig (this little guy is fantastic and makes the job a lot easier), nail gun (for the floor and floor for the Egg), bar clamps, and then little stuff like tape measure, squares, etc.  I had to borrow most of the bigger tools.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Very nice looking table. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Very nice!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• JT_Thomas
    DieselkW said:
    Looks like red cedar, nice choice. Should be durable. What did you use for a finish, it really made the grain pop!!
    Nice job - are all your tools DeWalt?
    I used this stuff: 

3 coats of it to be exact.  Thanks!  I kept debating on whether to stain it first or not.  Decided not to, and am glad I did.  

No, just my drill is Dewalt.  I had to borrow the mitre saw, table saw, and nail gun.  Can't remember the brands though.
  • SmokinBass
    SmokinBass Posts: 58
    That is awesome.  I wish my table had a granite top.
    Beautiful!
  • JT_Thomas
    That is awesome.  I wish my table had a granite top.
    Beautiful!
    Thanks.  I am too now, but I will say it was a tough pill to swallow when it came to paying for it.  I have to think I'll be happy long term though.
  • mjfutures
    mjfutures Posts: 53
    man that table is awesome! 
  • aljoseph
    aljoseph Posts: 15
    Kudos to you JT, that table is first class.
  • JT_Thomas
    aljoseph said:
    Kudos to you JT, that table is first class.
    Thanks!  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Beautiful craftsmanship.  That's a real nice home for your egg. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JT_Thomas
    Beautiful craftsmanship.  That's a real nice home for your egg. 
    Thank you.  I will say I'm quite proud of it.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Very nice job. 

Amen.  I'm a Quality Control Manager for a large scale general contractor, and metric jobs are a billion times better/easier.  Why do we have to be so different from the rest of the civilized world? 
    Cuz you know....'Murica loves its "Freedom Units".

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Awesome. Any finished pics?
  • Awesome. Any finished pics?
    I do, but not on my phone. Will send some after the weekend when I get back home. 
  • That's a very nice table!!! 
  • Jcnewegg
    Jcnewegg Posts: 29
    edited January 2016
    I like the looks of that table although I may me a little partial!!
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    JT_Thomas said:
    Awesome. Any finished pics?
    I do, but not on my phone. Will send some after the weekend when I get back home. 
    Great first project. When you build without exposed fasteners, I think you enhance the design of any cabinet because, for me, the simplicity and sleekness stand out.  By hiding all fasteners, the eye is drawn to the table's richest asset, the wood. As for the granite, that's always a good move. I put down a laminated wood top on ours, but made sure it can easily be removed if the glue-up or finish falls apart. My backup plan has always been to use granite.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Beautiful!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Great looking table. I'm a woodworking novelist as well. Thanks for the inspiration. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Cheap outdoor tables at Walmart. I put my XL on this and it collapsed.
    A tersely worded email was waiting for them the next morning. they said the table could easily handle a dozen eggs. Not true.Just one egg. I did not even try the MM at the same time.
    it was easy to set up though, pull out of the box, extend the legs. Done in less than a couple of hours.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    One look at the table and I could tell that it wouldn't support the weight of an Egg.
    By the way, I'm originally from Louisville :-)
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Steve753 said:
    One look at the table and I could tell that it wouldn't support the weight of an Egg.
    By the way, I'm originally from Louisville :-)
    The smarter side of town, I bet. LOL!
    I moved here a couple years ago, and I really love it here. Cool vibe going on for those into the arts, music scene is killer, and the foodies is rolling strong. I have spent time, just about every area on the planet, and for the quality of life is unmatched here. 
    I was having some fun posting that table image. I am designing my own to build some day. Some of the innovation and craftsmanship displayed by the awesome folks on here, has made me use a lot of eraser, and start over frequently.
    We live in the Highlands, great neighbors!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Nice looking table. Well done! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Elo
    Elo Posts: 3
    Made some modifications, but followed your basic plan and made one of my own.