Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(OT) Not to be insensative..but

Options
bcsnave
bcsnave Posts: 1,009
edited June 2015 in Off Topic

Why is everyone jumping on the band wagon about transgender now. There is going to be a tv show about it, there are specials about it, every media outlet has stuff going on about it.

If equality is what people want then be private about your "lifestyle". 

If, I had 3 testicles and said I just wanted to be "Me",  and went on Vanity fair and broadcast my self all over the place, whos fault would it be. NO ONE BUT THE PERSON SELF PROMOTING

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    You would be out of step with main stream America. Not saying you don't have a point, but the more I realize what catches and hold the attention of the general public - I do fear for the future of the human race. You gotta love reality TV, and see the credits for writers going by as the show ends. Geez, some folks actually watch this soap opera crap that claims to be "real".
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    One of my friends comments WRT reality TV:
    "That is how the Romans controlled the masses. Mindless entertainment for free."

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    DMW said:
    One of my friends comments WRT reality TV:
    "That is how the Romans controlled the masses. Mindless entertainment for free."

Don't forget the bread.  Bread & circus.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    Bread and circuses
  • bcsnave
    edited June 2015
    Options

I had a guy that worked for me that at 58 years old was going through this. I didn't understand it but he was a genuinely nice person. He actually quit and went into a different profession to start fresh. He didn't expect that he would come in one day in Kakis and an Oxford shirt then the next week come in to work in a skirt and have everyone be "sensitive" to his situation.

If I came into work with a "Mike Tyson" tattoo on my face (big change) and expected no one to say anything, people would think I was nuts not to expect  people to talk about it. And guess what I would be different out of the 300 people at our company NOT ONE has a Mike Tyson tattoo. Come to think of it, the only person that I know that has a face tattoo like that is Mike Tyson.

Just saying.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    So Bruce Jenner is becoming a woman?  I must have missed the gossip.  Been too busy watching the RuPaul show
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bcsnave
    Options

@Zmokin I totally agree

"if people treated everyone else as equals, regardless of their sex, sexual preferences, race, color, creed, religion, politics, income level, looks, etc, then there would not be a need to talk about this kind of stuff"

I just say to be treated like an equal in any society there are societal norms. If nudist ran around offices naked and them scream they are being persecuted for being themselves, you get what I am saying.

Glenbeulah, WI

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    When HE!!! gets an Egg I'd be glad to see any of his cooks.  They're all welcome here if they have good food to show, though not all of us have the best food.  Me learning.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • bcsnave
    Options
    @Chillywillis @Logcheif      AMEN brothers

Glenbeulah, WI

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Live and let live!  I cannot understand this transformation and find it bizarre. He's not shooting at me. Just find it sad the media attention this stuff garners. Times have changed. Cherish my times. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Interesting fact about Jenner that a lot of the younger crowd may not know. When he captured Olympic Gold and set a new point world record in Canada, a admiring American fan handed Jenner a American flag. Out of respect for the USA, Jenner held the flag over his head and took a victory lap running around the stadium. This tradition continues to this day. Jenner was the first to do it and is the one who started the trend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    @SGH, we are of the same generation.  I recall that well. Weird ending but he was an incredible athlete. The shorts were a little too short though
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I have my own opinions, as do we all, but I decided I won't share one way or the other.  

I'm hoping to meet a lot of people on this forum, and I wouldn't want risk alienating someone who could otherwise become a good friend.

What I don't like is how the media jams this stuff down our throat.  It's like they are daring us to publicly take sides, and I don't appreciate that.

Phoenix 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    I change the channel.  Turn on so.e tunes. Read a book 
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited June 2015
    Options
    blasting said:

What I don't like is how the media jams this stuff down our throat. 

'The media' is not capable of jamming anything down your throat.  YOU control what you consume - and how you digest it.
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• blasting
    Options
    'The media' is not capable of jamming anything down your throat.  YOU control what you consume - and how you digest it.

I respectfully disagree.  Digital media and technology have changed this.

I aggressively avoid consuming stories like this one, and yet I cannot get away from it.  I have not read a single story on it, and have avoided ALL tabloid news outlets - yet I know all about it.  

Even the president is injecting himself into this story - (which is ridiculous in itself.)  Still no plan to combat ISIS, but he has time to formulate opinions on Bruce Jenner???? SMH.

Phoenix 
  • Sardonicus
    edited June 2015
    Options
    blasting said:

I respectfully disagree.  

Okay. :)

In one respect, though - we're pretty much in agreement.  I, too, don't care about Jenner.

In fact, I care so little, I won't even start a thread to explain why. :|

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• bgebrent
    Options
    How bout we redirect from the ridiculous to BBQ!  I so enjoy BBQ way more than BS.
  • Sardonicus
    edited June 2015
    Options
    :) Okedokee! :)

• blasting
    edited June 2015
    Options
    On a positive note.  Last week I made the comment to my daughter that this forum had restored some of my lost faith in humanity.   Everywhere you look we are in decline as a society, and yet this forum is a gathering place of really terrific people.  This is especially impressive in my book, since we are talking about the interweb.

What the world needs is more people passionate about BBQ!

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @blasting, awesome you're sharing insights with your daughter!  No doubt our country is on a downward spiral. History repeats.  Thankfully American heroes keep us in the running during our decline. Unfortunately we are in decline.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I try very hard to not get into politics and religion on the Internet, however I will simply say here Judge not lest ye be judged yourself. 

People are people.

There are good ones and bad ones. But if you are sitting around judging people who you've never met..... What side are you on?

Just let folks live like they want to live and judge them on how they treat you and yours.

It's really that simple. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is why I read more, and stay away from programmed TV. I could not care less what others think of feel about someone's personal decision about their life. 
    I will always do my best to treat others, no matter how different from me they are, with dignity, respect, and kindness, as long as I am treated similar by them.
    Life is too short to get hung up in bigotry, prejudice, and intolerance based on ignorance.
    Coexist, drink the wine.
    The only color I see in this forum is Green, and the only lump that matters is for the perfect fire fore the perfect meal.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I spewed coffee!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bcsnave
    Options
    As the original poster here.....I was posting regarding how the media and Jenner make this out as a crusade for trans gender. Get the surgery and go about his/her life. Why does this get all of the media around it,?

Glenbeulah, WI

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    As the original poster here.....I was posting regarding how the media and Jenner make this out as a crusade for trans gender. Get the surgery and go about his/her life. Why does this get all of the media around it,?
    I can't comment into her reasons for doing it - maybe she just wants more attention, maybe she thinks it is a way to start a conversation about transgender people.

The media however, is doing this because people are going nuts for it.  The day the cover went live was the single biggest traffic day for Vanity Fair's website:  http://fortune.com/2015/06/05/caitlyn-jenner-vanity-fair-magazine-covers/

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    would you expect anything less from todays media =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it