Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's special at HEB?

Folks: I find myself frequently traveling to the fine state of Texas where world-famous HEB grocery stores are plentiful.  What specialty or store brand items are carried there that are considered "must purchase" for Eggers?  
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Their green sauce is pretty damn good. They also sell Whataburger condiments and if you've ever had Whataburger fancy ketchup, you won't buy any other kind again.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    non-perishable?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Their salsa selection is outstanding. The HEB brands are excellent. One of them has lime in it and is really good. Peach salsa is quite good too. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Pretty sure HEB's carry Blues Hog BBQ sauce.  If you've never tried it you should pick some up.  It's my favorite store bought BBQ sauce.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Legume
    • +1 on their green sauce, I think it's called "That Green Sauce" and is in with the salsa and hot sauces.  Also the Central Market Hatch salsas are really good
    • +1 on Whataburger - I like the spicy ketchup
    • Better Than Good Bacon Jam - crack in a jar that you will want to put on everything
    • any of the Central Market brand bbq sauces - including the Moroccan and Thai ones - very good and different

• Franklin sells his bbq sauces at HEB. The espresso is special. I also like a lot of the Fiesta brand rubs and spices. They are simple but I learned to bbq/grill with them so I still use them from time to time when I grill stuff.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    edited April 2015
    I buy Central Market Mesquite Lump at HEB's. That's pretty much all I cook on. Nothing particularly special about it when compared to something like Ozark Oak, but it works pretty well and is a great bargain at roughly $13 for a 20 pound bag. Bags are usually loaded with huge pieces. Great value and super convenient to just drive around the corner to HEB to pick up a bag. (I was pretty scared about using mesquite at first, but it doesn't really add a mesquite smoke smell. No idea the chemistry behind why mesquite lump doesn't smell like mesquite wood.)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Julios fresh salsa, Heb prime angus frozen burgers, allegro hot and spicy marinade, and Heb fresh sausage are some of my favorites. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

• Mickey

• Legume
    Good idea with the pics @Mickey.

Have you tried these?

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    My takeaway from this thread:  our grocery stores suck ass. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mickey, you left out this one!! I pay that much for 3 oz!!I

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

These guys have pretty much covered it. A bunch of perishables that are good too, but I assume you're not looking for those since you're travelling.

And they haven't carried Blues Hog sauces for 2 years or so in the Houston area. I cleaned out 3 stores when they cleared them out at $3/jar :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    @CarolinaQ ... Damn Michael you are so right. 

• tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    @Mickey I don't think I've ever seen Franklin stuff in the stores near me. Maybe I just missed them. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Mickey
    tisoypops said:
    @Mickey I don't think I've ever seen Franklin stuff in the stores near me. Maybe I just missed them. 
    You may want to check just a little closer. I see it in all and Central Markets (HEB Flagship store). 

• tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    @MickeyHmm. Haven't been to any central markets yet. But Im going to look closely at both HEBs near me next time I'm there. What do you think of their charcoal?
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Mickey
    tisoypops said:
    @MickeyHmm. Haven't been to any central markets yet. But Im going to look closely at both HEBs near me next time I'm there. What do you think of their charcoal?

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Awesome! thanks everyone
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Just a good all-around grocery store. I like their fresh-cut meat and the meat cutters there will cut it just the way you want. They frequently have prime NY Strips on sale which is one of my favorites. 

Dave - Austin, TX
  • Legume

Mickey, you left out this one!! I pay that much for 3 oz!!I
    check out the shelf label - what exactly is a ground anchovie chili pepper?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2015
    LOL, autocorrect?

Or maybe that's why it's only $5.99!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Just a good all-around grocery store. I like their fresh-cut meat and the meat cutters there will cut it just the way you want. They frequently have prime NY Strips on sale which is one of my favorites. 

They will take and cut off say three pounds of brisket and grind into hamburger grind for you. THE VERY BEST BURGERS EVER.....

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Mickey said:
    tisoypops said:

Look like you are running a little low on lump.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    HEB has one of the best selection proteins of any grocery store I have ever been to. The meat counter is top notch. Nice guys and a wealth of knowledge. That is why every time we go to Salado I always stop and load up on the way back. I wish we had one close to us in Prosper.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Hotch said:
    HEB has one of the best selection proteins of any grocery store I have ever been to. The meat counter is top notch. Nice guys and a wealth of knowledge. That is why every time we go to Salado I always stop and load up on the way back. I wish we had one close to us in Prosper.
    Have wondered if some kind of North Texas agreement going on between stores? They do have Central Markets in North Texas.

• Legume
    caliking said:

These guys have pretty much covered it. A bunch of perishables that are good too, but I assume you're not looking for those since you're travelling.

And they haven't carried Blues Hog sauces for 2 years or so in the Houston area. I cleaned out 3 stores when they cleared them out at $3/jar :smiley:

Like this?  Buying a couple of jars, never tried it.