Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Handy Homeowner Tip Time!

Options
Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited March 2015 in Off Topic

I've got a great plumbing tip. I live with Wilma and my two daughters and they all have long hair.  A couple of days ago, the tub drain was real slow so I grabbed the zip strip and pulled out a wad of hair the size of a large mouse or a small rat, I'm not sure.  Anyway, the drain was still slow.  I tried some liquid drain cleaner, no dice.  Drano Professional Strength crystals made it smoke a bit, but the drain was still real slow.  A buddy of mine turned me on to Thrift.  It's a crystal and real powerful and works in seconds!  We got it from a plumbing wholesaler, but I think you can get it from Amazon.  If you like Drano, this is Drano on steroids!  Be careful with it!!!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's sodium hydroxide.  Also good for making pretzels!

Yep, that's good stuff.  The only thing better for drains is sulfuric acid and it's really nasty stuff to handle.  Instantly burns flesh.  Sodium hydroxide gives you a chance to freak out when your skin starts hurting and run to the sink. 
    MMMMMM!!!  Drain Cleaner Pretzels!!!!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good tip, SWMBO is the chemical queen when it comes to cleaning, kinda like Tim the Tool Man Taylor when it comes to the bucket and mop set, power is good. She will love this stuff, her birthday is coming up....

Maybe you need those screen things that go over the drain to catch the hair before it accumulate sin the trap.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Good tip, SWMBO is the chemical queen when it comes to cleaning, kinda like Tim the Tool Man Taylor when it comes to the bucket and mop set, power is good. She will love this stuff, her birthday is coming up....

Maybe you need those screen things that go over the drain to catch the hair before it accumulate sin the trap.

Hair screen is in place.  Birthdays sound interesting at your house Skiddy:

"Here's some drain cleaner, Honey.  Happy Birthday!"

"Oh my sweet Skiddy!  You are so thoughtful!  This is the best Birthday ever!!"

Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    edited March 2015
    Options
    heres the lye i use for pretzels and yes it goes down the tub drain, it will also eat the enamel in a enameled cast iron, dont ask me how i know =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Also good at stripping old cast iron if it really is lye.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @fishlessman Here you go:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fishlessman
    Options
    pretty sure what you have will make a sodium hydroxide bomb, google it. all you need is a piece of tin foil, a plastic soda bottle, and liquid lye, and the ability to run =)
    fukahwee maine

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    We will have to start posting pictures of the largest hair balls.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Maybe a hairball throwdown?  Somebody might offer a cutting board up as a prize...
    Phoenix 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Hope that goes over better than my redneck ThrowDown . No one posted anything legit 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Make sure you put a warning in the title if you post hair ball throw down. Hate run across that at meal time. 
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Thrift is also good for cleaning out your sinus if you have an infection.  I disagree with the "Odorless" part.  Leaves an odor in the shower for a day or so, but it is damn good stuff.  Sold a ton of it when I worked at the plumbing shop with my dad.

We dump a bottle down the drain every 6 months for the septic system.  Haven't had to pump the tank in 2 years. 
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I'm on a septic system an it sucks. Can't use anything and pay a few hundred a year for some idiot to look at each year so the county will not shut me down. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @fredflinstone. ..looks like a laxative bottle...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    @henapple - I'm sure it'll clean you out.  "like drinking clorox......it'll clean you out but'll leave you all hollow inside" -Frank Drebin.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Go easy on the cheese, drink lots of water and you'll make it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Now you tell me after I smoked 4lbs

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That looks great!  What kind is it?  It sure looks Gouda!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options

Maybe you need those screen things that go over the drain to catch the hair before it accumulates in the trap.

Hair screen is in place.  Birthdays sound interesting at your house Skiddy:

"Here's some drain cleaner, Honey.  Happy Birthday!"

"Oh my sweet Skiddy!  You are so thoughtful!  This is the best Birthday ever!!"

You have no idea. 15 years ago the Company had us attend a time management seminar. The topic came up about how your time was the most valuable gift you could give to someone, wether it be socially or by doing something for them. Told SWMBO about it and she agreed wholeheartedly. For her BD I gave her the promise of my time, 4.5 litters of oil and a filter for a free oil change. I found out how she really felt about giving your time. It took a week for the swelling to go down after she slammed the Fram PH8A into the side of my head. Even when I do what she says, I get it wrong.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SwampBadger
    Options
    That's sodium hydroxide.  Also good for making pretzels!

And curing olives.  In California, used to home cure gallons of olives every year.  Took two lye baths in a giant ice chest.  Thanks for the memories.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Skiddy, that sounds like when I gave the first Mrs Flintstone a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas.  Good intentions, but that practical gift makes a big goose egg on the noggin.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OK, we have a dilemma and hopefully someone has a brilliant idea to help us ...
    We converted from electric to gas cooking over a year ago.  Unlike electric, if we forget to turn off a burner after simmering something on low, there's no indicator/idiot light to warn us.  You guessed it, we've left a burner on numerous times and fortunately so far no disaster yet.

Question: is there a gadget/alarm we can somehow hook up to warn us? 

Edit: this looks interesting/promising 
    http://www.stoveguardintl.com/Product-Natural-Gas.html
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Skiddy, that sounds like when I gave the first Mrs Flintstone a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas.  Good intentions, but that practical gift makes a big goose egg on the noggin.
    Perhaps the attachments desired were not included?
    That looks great!  What kind is it?  It sure looks Gouda!
    White cheddar for my butchers.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options

Perhaps the attachments desired were not included?
    I think it was our 2nd anniversary . I ask Mama what would she like. MaMa said anything gold. Well hell I thought. I got her something gold that ran on batteries. And it wasn't a watch.  =)
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Guess what. Don't ever do that 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm on a septic system. I use baking soda and vinegar followed by boiling water. Sometimes it takes a couple of shots but, it does work & it's 100% septic safe. 

http://queenofclean.com/

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL