Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which BGE accessory has been a game changer for you?

13»

Comments

• SGH said:
    @Jeepster47
    In your above comment I did not "disagree" with you. Must have hit the button while scrolling. I have corrected the error. My apologies.  For the record, I have never hit "disagree" on anyone intentionally. Even when I don't agree with what is said I do not use the disagree button. If anyone has a disagree from me it is accidental. 
    I disagree. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I disagree. 
    I agree  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    The instant read thermometer is a must. My cooking got so much better just by using it.  The maverick, woo/plater setter (L), and AR (XL) just make everything easier to grill.  The forum is indispensable in finding ideas, answers to questions, and others who enjoy the same thing I do; good food and humor. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Game  changing accessories? None. The egg itself was a game changer, but accessories? Meh. 

Actually, I have a long list of things I wish I HADN'T bought... Maverick, DigiQ, pizza stone, meat slicer, CI grid, spider, probably more. I do use the DigiQ, but I use it too infrequently to justify the cost. The others were a complete waste of money. Thankfully I never bought an AR. I TRULY don't need one of those!

Even the Tpen isn't a big deal. It's handy and all, but I made it all those years without one. The mapp torch is nice too, but even that hasn't seen much use lately. Paper towel and oil for the last couple of months. Is that an accessory?

Just the basics for me. Platesetter and some carriage bolts. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Maybe you should go back and re-use all that stuff you hate. Your mini was on that least not long ago but you learned to love it. i love my cast iron grid, though, can't understand that one. The digi-q is one I've nearly pulled the trigger on several times myself but now Im glad I didnt. I just dont need it. 

Little Rock, AR

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Rockwood Lump for me
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • My husband really likes all his different cast iron pots and pans. And his Stoker thingy. And something he made to raise the food up. He uses them all a lot. 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Probably my Thermapen followed by anything I've bought from the CGS. Just got my fishbones grate out of the mailbox so i can't comment on it yet 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Actually, I have a long list of things I wish I HADN'T bought... Maverick, DigiQ, pizza stone, meat slicer, CI grid, spider, probably more. I do use the DigiQ, but I use it too infrequently to justify the cost. The others were a complete waste of money. 

Along with most of our emoticons, seems we lost our colored text and Underline functions; I've bolded the two above I'll address:
    Pizza stone:  If you don't make pizza, okay, but otherwise....?  
    Spider:  An absolute must if you wok at all, do you?  
    I can agree with the rest, I have most of them but they weren't life changers.  Toys are cool.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Carolina Q
    Maybe you should go back and re-use all that stuff you hate. Your mini was on that least not long ago but you learned to love it. i love my cast iron grid, though, can't understand that one. The digi-q is one I've nearly pulled the trigger on several times myself but now Im glad I didnt. I just dont need it. 
    Hate is not the right word.

Maverick. Just don't find it useful. Have had it for over 4 years. Used it half a dozen times. Can't even hear the alarm. 

DigiQ. I like it, but I don't use it often enough to justify the cost. Shouldn't have bought it. 

Pizza stone. Used to use it. Then I realized pizza was just as good in my oven. I already had a stone for the oven from before I bought the egg. 

Meat slicer. Just don't cook anything that needs a slicer. Haven't used it in months.     

CI grid. It's fine, albeit pointless. 

Spider. No idea what to do with it. I know about the wok and about searing. I dont wok often, and no longer on the egg (I use my chimney starter)and if I sear like that, I just put a grid directly on the coals. Which is where I used to put the wok when I stir fried on the egg. 

But you are right about the mini. Three months ago, it was definitely on that list. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I have a 13" stone. I put it on my spider for indirects and still use the platesetter. It prevents those hotspots with the platesetter. 

Little Rock, AR

• Botch
    Carolina Q said:
     I dont wok often, and no longer on the egg (I use my chimney starter)

That... is brilliant!  Hmmm......  :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Carolina Q
    I have a 13" stone. I put it on my spider for indirects and still use the platesetter. It prevents those hotspots with the platesetter. 
    I may give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

Botch said:
    Carolina Q said:
     I dont wok often, and no longer on the egg (I use my chimney starter)

That... is brilliant!  Hmmm......  :)
    Give it a try. I used a cheap wok ring and set the whole thing on my old Weber. The starter has to be 20 years old. Works well, burns less lump. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Carolina Q said:

Hilarious!  That wok ring looks just like the expensive Spider I bought!  :)  

• Carolina Q
    Lol. Three bucks I think. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    The medium was the biggest game changer for me.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    blakeas said:
    oh and doesn't that High que grate have a problem with small pieces just dropping straight through it?  Why is a high que really a valuable accessory anyway?
    No, not really. If the chips are small enough to fall through, they will just sit in the ash pit and burn as embers fall on them - it is all heat, so you are not wasting anything. The other way to think about it is the OEM grate has holes which will plug with chips. That will cut off air flow and cause many more issues than the High-Que grate (This applies to MBGE). That's why it is the way to go. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Fan to blow the smoke that would otherwise be in my face into the vegetarian's back yard next door.
    For me, my best accessory was my second egg. My wife would say that too because that's really when I took over most of the cooking.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @theyolksonyou I just ordered the gloves. I need a safe way to handle hot platesetters. I will give you a full report. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    3 rectangular shaped balls
    Am I the only one that laughed when they read this? :P
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Fan to blow the smoke that would otherwise be in my face into the vegetarian's back yard next door.
    You are wise sir!
    Flint, Michigan
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Helmet said:
    I laughed when I typed it but it's the best description I could come up with.....my kids are making me stupid.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Probably the AR. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Helmet said:
    I laughed when I typed it but it's the best description I could come up with.....my kids are making me stupid.
    bollocks, ooops I mean blocks  =)
    canuckland
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Bought the high que thanks to this thread and @johnkitchens, used it today...so  far so good. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I hope you really enjoy it Kevin. I love mine. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • It would have to be my Food saver.  I can now seal up all the left over butt, brisket to enjoy it later.  and also save chips, nuts, etx AND all the extra large purchases from Costco and Restaurant Depot - either freezing or just storing in gallon mason jars.  It's a very valuable accessory.
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta