Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket lessons, questions

Options
I talked to a friend at work last Friday who does some competition BBQ, and he inspired me to try another brisket. Prior to this cook I'd had only moderate success with briskets. Exec summary on lessons learned:

• I'll buy Prime brisket from now on, the meat was SO much better
  • I did not get a good coat of dry rub on it, I used salt/pepper and some Dizzy Dust. Future briskets will have a good, thick coating of rub
  • Pro tip, blower assembly flange to the right for a Stoker... sigh
  • I'll allow 1.5 hours/lb with my current setup, plus a bit of padding. I cut it too close again.
  • If you build your own Stoker waterproofing container be sure your probes will fit through the 90-degree PVC pipe :blush: 
I bought a 12.2 lb Prime brisket from HEB, $52 so the price seemed good. It had a bit of extra fat but I decided not to trim it as I'd rather too much fat on a brisket than too little. The non-Prime briskets appeared to be well-trimmed, but again they were not Prime so I passed.

Went to Home Depot Sat afternoon and got a bin, duct tape, and a 90-degree piece of PVC tubing. The plastic on the bin did not cut very easily, it was difficult to make a true circle cut, but it was good enough. Got it all taped together and then began running my AC cord and probes through the L-shaped PVC. It turned out my PVC was too tight for the probes to pass through, so in the interest of getting started I decided to run the temp and pit probes out the top of the container. I put the container on the lower shelf of my table, and draped a towel over the top shelf during the cook since it seems to be raining constantly here in Austin lately (actually a blessing). I will try using some long-handled clippers to cut the PVC pipe that is on the inside of the container, to try and make more room for the probes. If that does not work I'll probably head back to Home Depot to get the right PVC cutter. For this cook my waterproofing solution worked just fine.

I put salt, pepper, and some Dizzy Dust on both sides as prep. The other day I made some burgers and SWMBO said it was a bit too much, so with that memory tape running I put on just enough of a dry rub. I know, mistake. Next time I'll use a lot of salt/pepper, and some DD. It was just enough rub, but more would have been better.

Fired up the Egg around 7PM Sat night, and put on the brisket fat side up at around 8:15PM. The Egg was running a bit hot, around 285, so I kept closing my new Smokeware cap more and more. Finally I had it down to about 1/16 inch, and it was still running hot. After only a short ~2 hour brain cramp I realized that I'd probably placed my Stoker blower in upside down, so that the gravity-based flap was staying open. A quick YouTube check for Rock's confirmed my mistake. Funny thing, it settled right in at 225 shortly after I put the flange to the right...  :s

I went to sleep trusting the Stoker (2nd low and slow with it), and looked at my phone just once during the night. Steady as a rock (see what I did there?). In the morning around 10AM I checked my StokerX log and noticed the blower fan ran quite a bit during the night. I then remembered that I'd left the Smokeware cap barely open 1/16 inch. Duh. I went out and opened it up to ~1/4 inch, and the fan ran far less from that point (see black vertical lines at the bottom of the temp graph). I did this screen grab later at night, that's why the pit temp had dropped:

The kids were coming over at 1PM for Sunday lunch, and around 11:30AM I was at 181 or so food temp. I cranked up the pit temp to 250 to finish in time, and just did, with the 190 temp target hit a bit before 1. I pulled it and let it rest about 25 minutes before we dove in. With my current setup it seems to be taking 1.5 hours/lb for my briskets and pork butts. I don't have an AR, just a platesetter and standard LBGE grill. For now I'll plan accordingly.

Served it with baked beans and mashed potatoes, no pics of those. The brisket ended up being successful, the boys even said it was really good and they still go to Franklins regularly. They just said add a bit more rub, but for them to be complementary is really something... I thought it was great, a good flavor, moist, and fork tender.

As for the questions:

• Would you trim a Prime before cooking, or after? We like some fat with our slices, this one was almost too much but was very good 
  • Lots of salt/pepper a la Franklin, or add some DD as well? I've read that mustard can reduce a smoke ring, so I'll probably avoid that
  • My buddy at work does not use an Egg, and wraps his in foil at 170. I'm inclined not to do that since this was tender enough, but might try it once
  • Would an AR reduce my average hours/lb cook time?

Thanks to all!

LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
Austin, TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    "Would you trim a Prime before cooking, or after? We like some fat with our slices, this one was almost too much but was very good"

Most here would definitely trim any "hard fat" but leave the softer fat. 

"Lots of salt/pepper a la Franklin, or add some DD as well? I've read that mustard can reduce a smoke ring, so I'll probably avoid that"

That's an individual taste preference.  I have never tried Dizzy Dust on a brisket although I suspect it would be pretty good.

"My buddy at work does not use an Egg, and wraps his in foil at 170. I'm inclined not to do that since this was tender enough, but might try it once"

Some do that, some don't.  I generally only do it when I am running short on time as it will get you through the stall and up to finish temp pretty quickly.  Cooking at a temp of around 275 and foiling at 160 or so will allow you to not have to do the cook overnight (if you are serving it for dinner) so some folks do it that way.

"Would an AR reduce my average hours/lb cook time?"

No.  Cooking at a higher temp would speed up the cook, but that can be done with AR or platesetter. 

From my view, you just hit a home run.  I wouldn't mess with your method too much.  The enemy of good is better.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited March 2015
    Options
    +1 with @foghorn.  And a great looking cook-great fork shot in there as well :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    Thanks @foghorn, and duh on the higher temp. Like all of us I'm sure I'd rather just start earlier and stay at a lower temp if at all possible. Regarding the fat, it all seemed soft, but I'll watch for that. 

Thanks @lousubcap!
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Great post and great looking cook. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @platypusrex, Great post! Thank you.
    @Foghorn, Great answers! Thank you.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    a couple of other notes:

You would never trim after- You would be throwing all your bark in the trash and that's where all the flavor it. It's really just a roast under all the crusty smoky bark. I trim all the hard fat off and I trim the soft stuff down to about 1/4-1/8 inch.

Mustard will not keep you from getting a smoke ring. Cooking with lump will keep you from getting a smoke ring. I never get them unless it's pouring rain or I manipulate it to get one. If anything, mustard would help add moisture which you need for a smoke ring.

AR will not change your cooking time. It's just a different setup.

Competition guys wrap for a few reasons but the main one is time. When you wrap before the stall (the 160-170 range you see above) it will push the brisket through the stall much faster than if it's not wrapped. It can shave 4-5 hours off a brisket cook. It also allows you to cook hotter and protect the bark. You can cook at 350 and wrap once your bark is set and the color you like and your bark won't scorch from cooking at the higher temps. Comp guys are limited by time and a brisket cook at 250 can take 20+ hours. Not many comp guys get 20 hours to turn in so they have to cook hotter and wrap through the stall. If you cook at 350 and wrap through the stall you can cook a brisket in under 30 min per lb. I don't like brisket cooked this way but it's very common in the competition world.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • platypusrex
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, duh, I can't believe I asked about trimming after!... it was kinda late. Your 1/8 - 1/4 inch trim is what the non-Prime brisket looked like at the store, thanks.

So my competition buddy knew I have an Egg, and I'm kinda surprised he did not explain their time constraints to me. That makes MUCH more sense. In our world it seems silly not to do low and slow unless there is some mitigating circumstance.

We're planning on being at Salado on Saturday and look forward to meeting folks there, it will be my first EggFest. Will you be there?

And thanks @johnkitchens and @MeTed!
    Austin, TX
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    a couple of other notes:

You would never trim after- You would be throwing all your bark in the trash and that's where all the flavor it. It's really just a roast under all the crusty smoky bark. I trim all the hard fat off and I trim the soft stuff down to about 1/4-1/8 inch.

Mustard will not keep you from getting a smoke ring. Cooking with lump will keep you from getting a smoke ring. I never get them unless it's pouring rain or I manipulate it to get one. If anything, mustard would help add moisture which you need for a smoke ring.

AR will not change your cooking time. It's just a different setup.

Competition guys wrap for a few reasons but the main one is time. When you wrap before the stall (the 160-170 range you see above) it will push the brisket through the stall much faster than if it's not wrapped. It can shave 4-5 hours off a brisket cook. It also allows you to cook hotter and protect the bark. You can cook at 350 and wrap once your bark is set and the color you like and your bark won't scorch from cooking at the higher temps. Comp guys are limited by time and a brisket cook at 250 can take 20+ hours. Not many comp guys get 20 hours to turn in so they have to cook hotter and wrap through the stall. If you cook at 350 and wrap through the stall you can cook a brisket in under 30 min per lb. I don't like brisket cooked this way but it's very common in the competition world.

Great advice! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    This is a great post with a wealth of info in reply's. This is what is great about EGGheads!

thanks @platypusrex @The Cen-Tex Smoker @Foghorn
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited March 2015
    Options

@platypusrex ... in case you missed it, here's a discussion with several ideas on a rainproof box for the instrumentation.

Three things stand out ... don't glue the final angled piece in place ... you can take it off to thread wires through and store it inside the box when you're done cooking.  The final angled piece is a 45 degree angle, not a 90 degree angle.  Use 1-1/2 inch PVC for ease of inserting the power cord and instrument wires.

I like your fan shelter...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, duh, I can't believe I asked about trimming after!... it was kinda late. Your 1/8 - 1/4 inch trim is what the non-Prime brisket looked like at the store, thanks.

So my competition buddy knew I have an Egg, and I'm kinda surprised he did not explain their time constraints to me. That makes MUCH more sense. In our world it seems silly not to do low and slow unless there is some mitigating circumstance.

We're planning on being at Salado on Saturday and look forward to meeting folks there, it will be my first EggFest. Will you be there?

And thanks @johnkitchens and @MeTed!
    I'll be there. Friday-Sunday (and probably through Tuesday at the Salado police station trying to post bail)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • platypusrex
    Options
    @Jeepster47 Ha! I'd seen that thread but missed the little detail of 45 degrees instead of 90. :s

I did not glue mine on, so if I can't cut it I'll grab the same diameter 45 degree version and will be OK. Thank you! 

Austin, TX
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Excellent cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    This is a Great Post, I look forward to reading posts from some of the experienced posters above, Big Thanks. I am thinking of doing another one very soon. No real good places to get prime meat in the Lansing Michigan area, our Sams only sells choice flats and Briskets Packers I have seen at GFS haven't looked that good. I may have to put my big boy pants on and get one from Snake River Farms.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Grillmagic-Fore warned is fore armed-WRT Snake River Farms you are entering a whole new universe when it comes to brisket.  I totally endorse their briskets (never ventured beyond the "black') but you must either have self-control to manage the buys or deep pockets to not care.  Regardless, those hunks of beef are game-changers.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    ^^^What @lousubcap said. I can hardly buy a choice Excel packer from Walmar anymore. I'd rather just save up and eat chicken for a bit longer until I pull the trigger on SRF briskets again. And it isn't a matter of if, it is when...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker