Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To spatchcock or not?

Can't decide which method to use for my turkey? I have Cooked a few whole turkeys on my gas grill using a rack and I know how they taste. And I have cooked spatchcocked chickens on my egg and they are really great, but never a turkey. Please help!?!?!?

Comments

• First off, welcome to the asylum. Secondly, there are a ton of turkey threads with your exact question going right now. It really comes down to your preference. Without being a smart a$$, I would suggest scrolling through the forum and reading some of the current threads to see what others have to say. Particularly pay attention to Mickey as he is a spatch guru.
  • I have read most if not all of them but still can't make my mind up? Decisions Decisions?!?!?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I like the spatchcock. Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee.. Equal part: Brown Sugar.. ½ part: Black Pepper.. ½ part: Kosher Salt.. ½ part: Garlic Powder.. ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder.. Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey,

I have same question, have not done a spatchcocked turkey yet, I am the turkey guy in the family and as it was for Alan, next Thursday is my "time to shine"  (sorry for Hangover reference)...

Kind of have feeling if its not broke don't fix it, have done whole birds on LBGE and have gotten rave reviews, and I normally do combo of Mad Max and my own creation.

I am also not a fan of Brine anymore, but what about a Max max variation with the spatch?  The herb and butter rub???

The coffee rub is a little scary for my group, does that infuse a lot of flavor into the meat or just help crisp and good flavor for skin?

Guess I always try to do something to the bird, but everything I have read it appears the spatch is just slice it and cook it and doesn't need much of a rub, injection...

And since it sounds like you are the Guru, 400 raised direct?  Do you use drip pan underneath for any drippings? not sure if my mother in law will not like having drippings for the gravy... any advice on what to do for that?

Sorry for all the questions...
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Mickey
    edited November 2014
    @pileit1971‌ if you used a drip pan you would have an indirect cook, I like direct raised. If you want drippings for gravy do what we do, buy wings and necks and roast them in the oven. Got to have drippings for the dressing and gravy. The coffee rub gives no coffee flavor, more earthy. I suggest you try a chicken or steak first with the rub or use what you like. Salt & Pepper work fine. Never any problem on the questions.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @Mickey is spatchcocked still considered smoked turkey? I should do a dry run this weekend but eating turkey before turkey day, that's too much tryptophan.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If presentation is not an issue there is no reason not to spatch
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    cbr0011 said:
    @Mickey is spatchcocked still considered smoked turkey? I should do a dry run this weekend but eating turkey before turkey day, that's too much tryptophan.

Cornish Game Hen

• Mickey
    grege345 said:

I just don't see a presentation problem. No it's not Norman Rockwell, but neither am I.

• bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Spatch it...spatch it good.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I've done Mad Max 3 times, orange whiskey brine two years ago, and a spatchcocked turkey last year with a modified Mickey rub. Spatchcock with the coffee rub rocked! Will be doing it again this year
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mickey said:
    grege345 said:

I just don't see a presentation problem. No it's not Norman Rockwell, but neither am I.
    The traditional turkey carved at the table is a must have for some, like SWMBO - so we usually MadMax if we have company. For just the two of us, suddenly spatched raised direct is just fine and it is much faster and easier. I don't use any smoke - just whatever comes from the lump.
    If you decide to cook whole, no stuffing and if you want to ice the breasts before the cook (recommended) use those gel packs rather than a bag of ice cubes, they stay in place much better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    ... and if you want to ice the breasts before the cook (recommended) use those gel packs rather than a bag of ice cubes, they stay in place much better. 
    Can't you see it now ... plastic turkey breasts so that you can freeze the gel packs to shape for better transfer of the cold.   Small, Medium and Large available in a set ... indorsed by NakedWiz?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• MrMike
    MrMike Posts: 10
    I'm new here so I have to ask, what is spatchcock?
  • Chauncy
    Chauncy Posts: 47
    It's when you split the bird via the breast by cutting out the spine
  • mikenb
    mikenb Posts: 10
    edited November 2015
    When you're doing spatchcock raised direct do you baste with anything? You won't have drippings so maybe just spritz with something? Also how frequently?

Thanks in advance for the help. With the collective expertise of the forum, I might just survive my first turkey cook. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2015
    Mickey said:
    I like the spatchcock. Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee.. Equal part: Brown Sugar.. ½ part: Black Pepper.. ½ part: Kosher Salt.. ½ part: Garlic Powder.. ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder.. Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Only  Losers spatchcock and coffee rub is for pussies. (I didn't even read mickeys post but figured I was in the ballpark) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mikenb said:
    When you're doing spatchcock raised direct do you baste with anything? You won't have drippings so maybe just spritz with something? Also how frequently?

Thanks in advance for the help. With the collective expertise of the forum, I might just survive my first turkey cook. 
    Nope. Just let it run. I was totally kidding with Mickey above- I only cook chicken  spatched 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The only reason I see not to spatch is if you want the drippings for gravy.  You can still use a drip pan if spatched but it is a little harder to find a pan big enough.  You can also just chop up the backbone, neck, giblets and make gravy inside. Only other reason is if the bird is too big.  So...if your bird will fit and you don't care about drippings then spatch away my friend. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I am also a novice BGE user.  Question: What does raised direct mean?  I think I understand direct...but raised?  What do you use to raise the cooking grate?
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    @tomgom Not trying to be Stachie Negative but try the search engine on the site... It has been vastly improved over the last year or so and worth a TON of reading as a newbie.

@pls3824 This was my second year of Spatchcocking (somehow that just sounds WRONG) and after comments both years from the 17 that we had for Thanksgiving both years they LOVED it.  I did brine in a simple Sale, Brown Sugar and herb mix with just a touch of cherry wood.

Next year I may try both Joetisserie and a Spatchcock ( or maybe for the holiday)...

Either way... to both of you... Welcome to the MADNESS!!!

The_Stache
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• I never spatchcock anything anymore. I have found out cooking whole Turkey, Chicken,
    duck or any fowl it is more juicy and tender. Especially if you let sit
     in a sealed container example foil in a bowl for smaller. Just can’t go wrong
    smoking whole. It does take a little longer. You will never regret it