Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burnt ends. any other option than brisket

I made a pulled pork the other day and the bark was so good, reminded me of burnt ends. I could have just ate that alone. My wife isn't into pork so much but likes beef and all things burnt lol. Anyways anyone ever try a different cut to make burnt ends other than a brisket? It would be nice to have something smaller and less labour intensive than brisket. If I could buy just the point that would be great, but all places around me want to sell the whole thing. Any ideas?

Comments

• a chuck roast should do the trick. I have a hard time getting them fall apart tender without some type of braise along with the smoke but you can get them "burnt endsy" if you will. 

Most places will cut you off a hunk of brisket. just ask for however much you want off the fat half.I knwo whole foods does it. For what they charge, they should.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    im thinking you could do it with big flat ribs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    This may start a riot but I actually prefer burnt ends made from a Boston butt (not the picnic) over ones made from a brisket. I will gladly share the technique if you are interested in pork burnt ends.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @SGH‌ I am interested! Thanks in advance

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SGH
    edited November 2014
    @poster‌ @Brisket_Fanatic‌
    I prefer to use a small and very fresh Boston butt when making just burnt ends out of it. No larger than 5 pounds. Why? This is usually a good indication that the butt came from a young hog. Simply cook the butt to 160 degrees internally in your normal cooking manner. I prefer indirect at 275 degrees. When the internal hits 160 remove it from the smoker and cut the butt into 3/4x3/4 cubes and transfer the cubes to a aluminum pan. When using pork, try to limit the cubes to no larger than 1x1. I prefer 3/4x3/4 as they seem to crisp up better but 1x1 will work also. Resist the urge to bump the temp up. Leave it at 275 degress and continue to smoke the cubes until they reach the COLOR that you prefer. Don't even concern yourself with their internal temp as its irrelevant. Cook them to appearance and taste. This usually takes about 1 and 1/2 hours depending on how well you maintain temp. When colored to your satisfaction, enjoy some truely outstanding burnt ends my friends.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited November 2014
    I usually do not condone the use of bbq sauce. However when making pork burnt ends I like to add a little Sweet Baby Rays to the cubes once they are panned. Forgive me my friends, but I do like the sauce on the pork burnt ends.

Status- Standing by.

• @SGH:  Do you put any sauce on the cubed pork just before they are done?  This sounds like a great version of burnt ends.  Thanks for the idea!

Poster:  An Egging neighbor of our tried Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbeque" method for making burnt ends and was very pleased.  The recipe for these calls for brisket, but my friend did same recipe with a chuck roast. He was very pleased with the results.  He followed this recipe, using chuck roast:  

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • SGH
    @EggObsessed‌
    No ma'am. As soon as I cube the pork and put it in the pan I add the sauce. I know that conventional wisdom is to not sauce until the last few minutes of cooking. However in this case you are shooting for "burnt" if you will. The slightly scorched sauce is what makes them so good. That is also why I suggested not bumping the smoker temp up. At 275 degrees my described method works perfect. The sauce will not burn to a crisp at this temp and cook time. They turn out just right. And it was my pleasure to share this recipe. Goodness knows that I have got several great recipes from yall before. I hope that you enjoy them as much as we do.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sounds great @SGH.  I recalled a similar post a couple of years ago that includes some pics.  I found it from a member @tortaboy:

He mentioned using pork cushions...to be honest I don't know what those are.  In a subsequent post he did the same with boston butt...and made it into pizza. 

=P~

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    SGH said:
    @poster‌ @Brisket_Fanatic‌ I prefer to use a small and very fresh Boston butt when making just burnt ends out of it. No larger than 5 pounds. Why? This is usually a good indication that the butt came from a young hog. Simply cook the butt to 160 degrees internally in your normal cooking manner. I prefer indirect at 275 degrees. When the internal hits 160 remove it from the smoker and cut the butt into 3/4x3/4 cubes and transfer the cubes to a aluminum pan. When using pork, try to limit the cubes to no larger than 1x1. I prefer 3/4x3/4 as they seem to crisp up better but 1x1 will work also. Resist the urge to bump the temp up. Leave it at 275 degress and continue to smoke the cubes until they reach the COLOR that you prefer. Don't even concern yourself with their internal temp as its irrelevant. Cook them to appearance and taste. This usually takes about 1 and 1/2 hours depending on how well you maintain temp. When colored to your satisfaction, enjoy some truely outstanding burnt ends my friends.

Sounds great @SGH. I have a left over pork butt in the freezer that I took to 150 and I may have to thaw it and try this out. Now it is a little bigger at about 8 pounds or so, but it may have to wait tell it warms up above 40.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    edited November 2014
    @SmokeyPitt‌
    Cushion meat is simply a muscle cut from the "picnic", not the butt. I prefer the butt when making pork burnt ends. This is a matter of individual taste and personal preference though.

Status- Standing by.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167

wow. glad I asked. think ill grab a small pork butt and chuck roast this wknd and giver it ago.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions 

• SGH
    poster said:

wow. glad I asked. think ill grab a small pork butt and chuck roast this wknd and giver it ago.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions 

You are welcome sir. I hope that you enjoy the pork burnt ends as much as we do.

Status- Standing by.

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    SGH said:
    @poster‌ @Brisket_Fanatic‌ I prefer to use a small and very fresh Boston butt when making just burnt ends out of it. No larger than 5 pounds. Why? This is usually a good indication that the butt came from a young hog. Simply cook the butt to 160 degrees internally in your normal cooking manner. I prefer indirect at 275 degrees. When the internal hits 160 remove it from the smoker and cut the butt into 3/4x3/4 cubes and transfer the cubes to a aluminum pan. When using pork, try to limit the cubes to no larger than 1x1. I prefer 3/4x3/4 as they seem to crisp up better but 1x1 will work also. Resist the urge to bump the temp up. Leave it at 275 degress and continue to smoke the cubes until they reach the COLOR that you prefer. Don't even concern yourself with their internal temp as its irrelevant. Cook them to appearance and taste. This usually takes about 1 and 1/2 hours depending on how well you maintain temp. When colored to your satisfaction, enjoy some truely outstanding burnt ends my friends.
    Hi SGH, The smallest Pork Butt I could find was 6 and 1/2 ponder and I want to try your version of pork burnt ends and wondered your thoughts on how long do you think it will take at 275 dome to get to 160 IT, also is 160 before the stall? and should I be concerned about this (my thoughts are no) Do you think this will make a good main protein dish as I am planning on serving it as a main course? I have a feeling this may be a great app but not sure as a main dish. Thanks in advance!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • @SGH.....do you think country style ribs would work? Thinking of giving this a try.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• SGH
    @Grillmagic‌
    The 6 pound butt will work just fine my friend. You asked if 160 was before the stall. There is no way for me to say. Why? Every meat stalls at a different temp depending its size, shape, moisture content, fat content, cooking environment etc etc.... The stall usually occurs between 140-160 degrees therefore you may make it to 160 without stalling. On the other hand you may be stuck anywhere between 140 but lower than 160 for a considerable time. As far as how long it will take you to get to 160, well again time will depend on If or when it stalls. As a general guide pork shoulder cooked at 275 degrees usually takes around 1 and 1/2 hours per pound, give or take a little. As far as it being served as the main dish. Well that's simply a matter of taste and personal preference my friend. I do not personally serve them as the main course but you certainly could.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @‌Dave in Florida
    If you used the country style ribs cut from the butt then absolutly it would work. However if your country style ribs are cut from the loin, the burnt ends would turn out far to dry my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited November 2014
    @Grillmagic‌ @Dave in Florida-Sorry that it took me a while to reply my friends. I had to run to Mobil Al early this morning and I just got home. I hope my reply came in time.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Grillmagic‌- Standing by for the finale.

Status- Standing by.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    SGH said:
    Thanks for your response, This is for tomorrows Sunday cook and I will keep you up to date.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SGH
    SGH said:
    Thanks for your response, This is for tomorrows Sunday cook and I will keep you up to date.

Standing by with fork at the ready until then.

Status- Standing by.

• Thanks SGH...I read somewhere that country ribs were from the butt.  I didn't think about the loin being used.  Definiately going to give pork bites a try.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~