Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ Vs MM

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I got to stay out of this.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Can I come over fora taste test?  lol

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I don't know what this means ... but the MM is much sexier!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    edited November 2014
    I have tons of input on this matter, but I have to stay out of it. I will say this though, one is a democrat and one is a Republican. You be the judge.......... ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    This for some reasons reminds me of the fabled story of The Hippy in a wind storm.

Status- Standing by.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I tried to post from my computer 3 times and it kept giving me errors. Just testing the 2 for cooking times and one thing I really wanted to test is a forum member stated that the KJ was warmer on the outside letting more best out and using more lump. I let them both sit at 300 for multiple hours and the KJ was actually the same temp on the bottom both were right around 110 but the MM dome was 155 and the KJ dome was 148. Not enough of a difference to matter but the both hold heat equally well. They are both cooking machines though once dialed in at 300 there have been no issues. They both hold al.ost the same amount of lump since the KJ indirect accessory is lower in the kamado but it also has more cooking space since its grate is at felt level and the MM is above it on the plate setter. Not a big issue though since that is a 7 lb shoulder on the MM with room to spare. I did just have to flip the shoulder in the MM though it was starting to burn since its so close to the plate setter. I will post more pics later.
  • SGH said:

I have tons of input on this matter, but I have to stay out of it. I will say this though, one is a democrat and one is a Republican. You be the judge.......... ;)

Are you saying one has a broken, er... Richard?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited November 2014
    Thank you for an objective..."you own 'em both" side by side. Should end a lot of uninformed-and-biased speculation about either. (I don't have a MM but do own a BGE and KJ products and my opinion is....they're both awesome!)
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • @Lit any difference as far as weight and portability of each? Advantages vs. disadvantages?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• I can't wait to see all the comments on this thread. People are going to explode! I've said it before but I think KJ makes a pretty good grill. I'd probably rather have the mini max since it would match my large, but KJ is pretty inexpensive by comparison.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Lit
    I carried both from my garage to my back porch. Both are easy to move and I didn't weigh them but I am guessing they are within 5 pounds of each other. One thing I did notice is the MM carrier the handles spin they are not locked in place. It also looks like it may just be one screw on each side holding the handles together but I haven't taken it apart yet to confirm.
  • that's concerning that you had to flip the meat on the MM because it started to burn! 
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • Lit
    The one in the MM is done. Bark burned a little but not bad. I am going to try to find a small drip pan that I can sit on the plate setter to get another inch or so seperstion.
  • SGH
    @Fred19Flintstone‌
    I would love to elaborate brother Fred, but I have to stay out of these type of posts ;) Just can't get involved.

Status- Standing by.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I saw the mmax at a show yesterday.  Gotta wonder why such short legs on the platesetter, especially after all the comments with the original short legged xl platestter.  Can't be much more than an inch spacing between grid and platesetter.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    tjv said:
    I saw the mmax at a show yesterday.  Gotta wonder why such short legs on the platesetter, especially after all the comments with the original short legged xl platestter.  Can't be much more than an inch spacing between grid and platesetter.

t
    What about a small PS?
  • tjv
    the distance from the top of platesetter to the bottom of the grid ain't much, lucky to be an inch.

t
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Will there be a movie trailer with this.......I hope @Cazzy
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Man I'm glad @sgh is staying out of this otherwise it could turn into a $hit storm. :D
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    tjv said:
    the distance from the top of platesetter to the bottom of the grid ain't much, lucky to be an inch.

t
    For a small PS or the MM PS?
  • Lit
    There isn't enough space in the MM to use the small plate setter. The options I see are to get a drip pan that's like 2" high and sit the grate on it or like I did to my mini cut the notches in the fire ring deeper so the plate setter sits lower and then the small plate setter would be an option. Not sure how much lump is left but it just cooked a 7 lb shoulder at 300 to 200 plus internal.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Can you post picture of the MM with the PS in place with the legs up and the grate resting on the PS legs? Thanks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tjv
    tjv said:

t
    mmax
  • tjv said:
    tjv said:

t
    mmax
    T, not making the trip to Atlanta next week. I'll see ya next year in Chicago or Vegas.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tjv
    ron, look at Lit's pics above.  check the grid as it sits on the platesetter in conjunction with the felt line.  It's maybe a smidge above the felt.  Also, check the distance from top of fire ring to felt -  a good reference for distance is the notch in the fire ring for the platesetter, approx. 3/4 deep notch.  

t
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2014
    tjv said:

t
    Am I missing something, the mini with the woo and a stone is similar no? I've done 4 lb butt no real burning issue I can recall.
    Seattle, WA
  • tjv
    ok LS, chicago it is.  

t
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Lit,

With the dremmel on an old fire ring is it easy to mod for the plate setter?
    I'm tempted to spruce up the mini and pull the trigger. Some new toys may be enough to quench any thirst I have.
    Seattle, WA
  • tjv
    SkinnyV, I think folks are hoping to smoke on the mmax too.  
    What I was told yesterday by the reps was approx. 6 hour burn at 250ish before the lump runs out.  Best I can remember, that is very similar to the current small.  

On the mini with the woo, the primary goal is to get more grilling grid space by elevating the grid up and off the fire ring.

t
  • Lit

@RRP pic attached. The spacing is very small even less than the mini. The KJ heat deflector fits better in the MM than the plate setter but it sits a little higher. I called a local Ace yesterday and the KJ heat deflector is $39.99 but the BGE grate doesn't fit the KJ heat deflector so you would have to buy the KJ grate also. The KJ deflector and grate is th eway to go though because it will give you 2 different levels of raised and also indirect and tha grate for the KJ actually fits the MM better than the stock grate. The KJ grate is about a half inch larger so there's not a big gap for the grate to move around in the egg.

@SkinnyV I bought a bit for the dremmel I think it was a ceramic tile bit and it cut right through the ceramic. Took maybe 15 minutes to cut the 3 notches. I posted the pics and the part number here probably a year and a half to 2 years ago.

@tjv the MM will go much longer than 6 hours at 250 the rep must not have known what he was talking about. I started the egg at 11:45 this morning and I pulled the shoulder off at 5:45 and held 300 the whole time and the fire box is still almost full. I was using hasty bake lump which is great but if I was using FOGO or wicked good I bet it would run 12 hours at 250 if not longer.