Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NO BEANS IN CHILI......

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
VI just sent me this....... I subscribe to a "Traces of Texas" site on Facebook, and there was an entry on beans in chili this morning. I remember the spats on the BGE forum, so I thought you might enjoy this. The Arcane Texas Fact of the Day: Chili has no beans. If you have something in a bowl that is called chili but it has beans (Wendy's Hamburgers, I'm looking at you here), it is not chili. It might be "chili flavored soup" or something, but it isn't chili. The legendary Frank X. Tolbert in his classic book, "A Bowl of Red," makes this point perfectly clear and contest rules of the Chili Appreciation Society International reinforce it: no beans. My understanding is that Wolf Brand had to start putting beans in their "chili" so as not to offend delicate Yankee sensibilities. On a side note, H. Allen Smith once wrote that "the chief ingredients of all chili are fiery envy, scalding jealousy, scorching contempt, and sizzling scorn.” It sounds like H. Allen must have consumed some of my uncle Wayne's famous "chili con carnage" before he wrote that. .......................................................................... Back to me. On a side note Wolf Brand Chili (without beans) is IMO the best can of chili out there. And thank you VI for the note.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I always put beans in my chili, I smash them to make the texture better.
    Aurora,OH
  • Mickey
    Options
    All good chili has beans.

Just like all good peach cobbler has pecans =))

• Mickey
    Options
    I always put beans in my chili, I smash them to make the texture better.

Now I do that same trick in a pot of pintos. Makes good pintos.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I always liked Sheldon Cooper's line (Big Bang Theory) on Penny's version of chili with beans:

"This is good, I don't know what it is, but it's good."

Yes, some Iowans also think chili with beans is a travesty. I cannot tolerate it as spicy as I used to, but beans need to be with ham or bacon in a thick white soup like my German grandma made.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I've had great chili with beans and without beans. I'm not too picky either way. Most of the recipes around here seem to have beans in them.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    This is a current "discussion" in our house as well. I'm preparing to do my first BGE a chili this weekend (either Friday or Saturday) and I've been researching different recipes. My wife claims "it's not chili without beans," while personally, I tend to think the fewer beans the better (with the best results as you approach zero beans). I may have to include a bean or two in the mix to keep the wife happy.
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    sodigthisbigcrux Posts: 127
    edited October 2014
    Options
    beans, beans the muscial fruit. The more you eat the more you toot.

Who am I to deny my wife glorious flatulence?

The beans stay...unless I'm making chili for chili dogs.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Mickey said:
    All good chili has beans.

Just like all good peach cobbler has pecans =))
    Them's fightin words boy!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I don't like kidney beans in my chili. I always use pintos.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited October 2014
    Options
    can we make it with pork

or veal shanks

put a cinimon stick in it

put it on potatoes

mix it with macaroni

onions and cheese ok?

you didnt really mean no beans did you

imagine it in a pie
    :D

or no beef at all, lobster

i made 6 quarts of red this weekend
    :D so much for our delicate palettes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Hey @mickey , send me a recipe for some really good (but simple) "Texas Red" and I will give a try.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Grew up in Cincinnati, Skyline Chili = no beans.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I am all for tradition with food. When I make chili, it has no beans. When I make meat and bean stew, it has beans. I most often make meat and bean stew because it tastes good and my family likes it. They may even call it chili, but they are heathens like the rest of you jokers trying to pervert the good name of chili with beans. I am okay with serving them on the side, so you could have chili with beans.

• Eggcelsior
    Options

If you have no beans in chili, it is just meat sauce.  Might as well pour it over noodles.

Only in Cincinnati where they serve " horrifying diarrhea sludge".

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options

If you have no beans in chili, it is just meat sauce.  Might as well pour it over noodles.

Only in Cincinnati where they serve " horrifying diarrhea sludge".

Blasphemy!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @NCSmoky that article and the follow-up where absolutely hilarious, either way.Watch the superclip of the news anchors all saying it. Comedy gold!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    @Mickey‌ thanks for sharing
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Legumophobes...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Options
    @fishlessman‌ all I can say is: Damn nice pictures man. My chili always has cheese and onions on the side of the bowl ready to be added along with saltine crackers stacked up.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @Mickey here in NC, or well, where I was brought up, chili was, well, chili.  Now, sometimes we would have chilli beans.  That is when you added kidney or pintos to the chili.  

My wife from Ohio (Columbus area) thinks that is weird, but politely told her shes in NC now and to conform... lol. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @fishlessman‌ all I can say is: Damn nice pictures man. My chili always has cheese and onions on the side of the bowl ready to be added along with saltine crackers stacked up.
    i believe the one with the cheese and raw onions was from that chili packet you sent me, that was a good chili. ill pass though on the canned stuff, i cant eat chili or beans from a can
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Mickey said:
    i believe the one with the cheese and raw onions was from that chili packet you sent me, that was a good chili. ill pass though on the canned stuff, i cant eat chili or beans from a can
    Typically, the canned stuff passes through you as well(quickly).
  • henapple
    Options
    The Ron White Cincinnati chili bit is hilarious.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I think chili has expanded and can handle both bean and non-bean preparations.  Texas-style chili would clearly have no beans, but every time I see a Texan get inflamed about somebody daring to call something with beans 'chili' I try to imagine their reaction if somebody were to tell them that only classically prepared Bavarian-style brews were allowed to be called beer, they needed to refer to what was in their glass as 'fermented malt beverage.'

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• henapple
    Options
    Watch "Ron White on Chili and goats" on YouTube
    Ron White on Chili and goats: http://youtu.be/ukCr6fG9pug
  • Mickey
    Options
    Mickey said:

That is my goto chili. Cin Chili is fast, super easy, and damn good (IMO). I bought 6 pac's yesterday. Scratch chili is not simple or quick.

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    You are so correct Mickey. You stop making Chili when you start adding beans. 
    Willis Tx.