Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NO BEANS IN CHILI......

2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    edited October 2014
    shtgunal3 said:
    Hey @mickey , send me a recipe for some really good (but simple) "Texas Red" and I will give a try.

Sorry but I have never found a good but simple recipe for chili. Good chili takes some work. But my goto chili for the past 8 years is Cin Chili....http://cinchili.co/main.sc . This is easy, fast, and damn good chili (it's a mix). You put your own road kill in it and I add onions to in with making it. Bought 6 packages in Austin yesterday. In 30 mins you can have chili. (((((I hate to say it but on the back it says you can add beans :-t ))))) I dont!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I never make chili, I always make chili-beans.  My recipe is labelled chili-beans.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey said:

shtgunal3 said:

Hey @mickey , send me a recipe for some really good (but simple) "Texas Red" and I will give a try.

Sorry but I have never found a good but simple recipe for chili. Good chili takes some work. But my goto chili for the past 8 years is Cin Chili....http://cinchili.co/main.sc
    This is easy, fast, and damn good chili (it's a mix). You put your own road kill in it and I add onions to in with making it. Bought 6 packages in Austin yesterday. In 30 mins you can have chili. (((((I hate to say it but on the back it says you can add beans :-t ))))) I dont!

Hey @Mickey‌ - where you buy it at? Would like to try some. Thanks
    Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    shtgunal3 said:

Sorry but I have never found a good but simple recipe for chili. Good chili takes some work. But my goto chili for the past 8 years is Cin Chili....http://cinchili.co/main.sc . This is easy, fast, and damn good chili (it's a mix). You put your own road kill in it and I add onions to in with making it. Bought 6 packages in Austin yesterday. In 30 mins you can have chili. (((((I hate to say it but on the back it says you can add beans :-t ))))) I dont!
    Hey @Mickey‌ - where you buy it at? Would like to try some. Thanks
    You can buy it from the website he posted.
  • Mickey
    edited October 2014
    @Eggpharmer‌ Central Market has it. Also Spec's liquor stores. These are in Texas.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Chile = pinto or small red beans (not kidney) in a great, pepper-laden meat/tomato sauce.
    Not quick or easy, but not out of a can.  Sorry, @Mickey, just don't like the canned stuff.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • @Mickey‌ - thanks. I go to Specs way to much already...
    Austin, TX
  • My daughter & I ate this quite a bit when it was just the two of us. We called it chili.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @Mickey‌
    Brother I'm wanting one of those mini/maxs bad. That said, I'm in full agreement that chilli should be bean less ;)
    This opinion may change once I have possession of my new mini/max ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,018
    And I Don't Want Any Mix With My Booze :-c
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    The Campfire - Blazing Saddles (5/10) Movie CLIP …: http://youtu.be/VPIP9KXdmO0 =))
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ Brother I'm wanting one of those mini/maxs bad. That said, I'm in full agreement that chilli should be bean less ;) This opinion may change once I have possession of my new mini/max ;)
    @SGH we have a name for people like you.  BROWN NOSE.  :-@

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • @Mickey +1 no beans!  CASI award winning chili in this shot of what we call Meteorite Salad in competitions.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    jaydub58 said:
    Chile = pinto or small red beans (not kidney) in a great, pepper-laden meat/tomato sauce.
    Not quick or easy, but not out of a can.  Sorry, @Mickey, just don't like the canned stuff.
    I agree that chili isn't quick, but it is pretty easy.

Ingredients into crockpot, dinner is ready hours later.

OK, my preference is to add the meat at a later time, so it isn't digested by tomato acid for 8 hours.  I'll brown up the ground meat in a frying pan, then add it to the crock when there is about an hour left of slow cooking.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,018

@Mickey +1 no beans!  CASI award winning chili in this shot of what we call Meteorite Salad in competitions.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Recipe Please
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    henapple, what do you have against the relief of gas and bloating?

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I can only imagine what "Meteorite Salad" would do to ones colon.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Eggcelsior. ..that's half the fun of eating chili. The "dutch oven" comes later that night. #:-S
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ironic, ain't it? A guy telling us what should and should not go into a pot of chili... makes his from a packet of seasoning mix.

Sorry, bud. Couldn't resist. The packet you sent me was was pretty good. Even better after I added some beans. :)

I have a scratch recipe for red that I keep meaning to try. Calls for jalapeño juice. And of course, no beans. I'll have a can or two ready though... In case it needs salvaging. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    edited October 2014
    Ironic, ain't it? A guy telling us what should and should not go into a pot of chili... makes his from a packet of seasoning mix. Sorry, bud. Couldn't resist. The packet you sent me was was pretty good. Even better after I added some beans. :) I have a scratch recipe for red that I keep meaning to try. Calls for jalapeño juice. And of course, no beans. I'll have a can or two ready though... In case it needs salvaging. :)
    Michael I do understand. But sometimes easy is good (good enough) and when working, chili in 30 mins was important. Now not so much.... But we both like what i sent you (with-out beans).... To make real good chili you need to cook and grind up your peppers and cook the hell out of it. I am fine with Cin Chili...... But thin i call @henapple a friend, so............

• Eggcelsior
    Mickey said:
    Ironic, ain't it? A guy telling us what should and should not go into a pot of chili... makes his from a packet of seasoning mix. Sorry, bud. Couldn't resist. The packet you sent me was was pretty good. Even better after I added some beans. :) I have a scratch recipe for red that I keep meaning to try. Calls for jalapeño juice. And of course, no beans. I'll have a can or two ready though... In case it needs salvaging. :)
    Michael I do understand. But sometimes easy is good (good enough) and when working, chili in 30 mins was important. Now not so much.... But we both like what i sent you (with-out beans).... To make real good chili you need to cook and grind up your peppers and cook the hell out of it. I am fine with Cin Chili...... But thin i call @henapple a friend, so............

How embarrassing...
  • Ladeback69

I can only imagine what "Meteorite Salad" would do to ones colon.

This comment brings up a not so fun day I had Tuesday before a procedure on Wednesday. Still paying for it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Here is what Wickapeda says Chili con carne is and it has beans in it. No beans is a Texas thing from I can tell from being on here just like they don't do burnt ends either. It doesn't mean it's right or not. There are s lot have ways to do things and it's what you like that makes you happy.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    edited October 2014

Here is what Wickapeda says Chili con carne is and it has beans in it. No beans is a Texas thing from I can tell from being on here just like they don't do burnt ends either. It doesn't mean it's right or not. There are s lot have ways to do things and it's what you like that makes you happy.

Actually, wiki states that chili is peppers and meat, often containing tomatoes and beans. The only explicit ingredients are the first two.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Many years ago there was a home town company called Ranch Style. They made the best canned chili ever," Iron Kettle". That said they were bought out buy a big agro company ConAgra Foods. And next thing is Iron kettle was gone. Now all the focus is on beans. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Ranch Style beans, but not in my chili.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    There's no beans in chili just like there's no crying in baseball...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    Beans? No beans? I am now as confused as a hippie in a wind storm. What to do.........

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    SGH said:

Beans? No beans? I am now as confused as a hippie in a wind storm. What to do.........

Level dirt. Thinking is hard!
  • Ladeback69

Actually, wiki states that chili is peppers and meat, often containing tomatoes and beans. The only explicit ingredients are the first two.
    But beans are mentioned and does not say no beans. Like I have said before there are many ways to prepare things and you like beans go for it. To me no beans is boring, but to each your own. Take Cincinnati chili; they put chili, beans, cheese, onions and what ever else over spegetti. It's good, but not what I think of when making chili. It's interesting how this thread has progressed.

Kansas City, Mo.