Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guess I will get a Thermapen now

Options
Left my thermometer outside after a cook about a week ago.  Wife looked out and said "oh crap, the dog has your thermometer".  By the time I got out there, the casing was off and PCB was exposed an mangled.  Damnit!!  

This was not a Thermapen, but a very good thermometer that others suggest that will do just as well as a Thermapen, and cheaper.  Thinking about taking the plunge and getting one and keeping an eye on it so the dog doesn't get it too.  
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Get the orange one. They are the fastest.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I would like an upgrade, as well. Was thinking about a backlit thermapen. Any thoughts on this alternative from cdn?
    Amazon sells it for around $65

CDN INTP626X ProAccurate Infrared Thermocouple Probe Thermometer

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have really enjoyed my Thermapen thus far. No complaints or issues at all. I highly recommend it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I like my Tpen. But if it ever dies (or becomes a doggie treat), I will buy a Thermopop for $20something. Supposedly just as accurate, only a tad slower and backlit.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    My cheapo weber takes 20 seconds or so to get a stable reading. I'm starting to try steaks on the egg (even threw one on the coals ala hapster last night - felt bold after a few drinks) and the extra time to get an accurate reading is a problem.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Hey man, try the less expensive thermo pop or whatever they call it. Works awesome. I am very impressed. Much less expensive.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Cazzy uses his finger.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Get the orange one, because it's fastest just like @shtgunal3 says, but also because it's easier to keep track off so you don't leave it laying around for the dog to play with... So end endeth today's lesson.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Well played @tarheelmatt‌ , that's like leaving your shoes out to get a new pair.

@blind99‌ , you should take lessons from @tarheelmatt‌ :D
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
  • morrobayrich
    Options
    Clearly time to sell the dog!
    Morro Bay, CA
  • mebanite60
    Options
    Just got my new Thermapen this week and used it today for cedar planked salmon. Very impressive!
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Clearly time to sell the dog!
    Sometimes I want to.  This dog is pretty dang special to say the least.... Smart as hell, but very stubborn.  I have to much money in this dog to let go, that is the kicker... lol
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited September 2014
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Get the orange one, because it's fastest just like @shtgunal3 says, but also because it's easier to keep track off so you don't leave it laying around for the dog to play with... So end endeth today's lesson.

Heeeeyyyyy............is that the oldest trick in the book?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• bcsnave
    Options

If you're looking for a backlit TPen..they only come in white, blue, or Red..no orange.

I just got my Blue TPen on Friday....nice piece of equipment..BUY one and you won't be thinking you "should've" not wasted the money ..again

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I have a Thermapen. I wish I had the backlit version. If anything ever happens to mine I will replace it with the backlit version. 

I have a buddy that has the Thermopop, and he loves it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love my thermapen especially when cooking steaks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Your dog was sick of waiting for readings and food scraps. He knew a Thermapen would hurry the process up! I'd take it as a sign! [-O< =))
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

I like my Tpen. But if it ever dies (or becomes a doggie treat), I will buy a Thermopop for $20something. Supposedly just as accurate, only a tad slower and backlit.

I paid $24 for my thermapop, it's now $29, but on open box sales it runs $19! It gives temperature in approx 3-4 seconds.

I've seen guys say they need it instant for steaks.. I'm sorry, but I have no problem probing and getting temperature of steaks. Dinner last night was a perfect 130°F steak, I lost no arm hair. Thermapop is the way to go.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    I paid $24 for my thermapop, it's now $29, but on open box sales it runs $19! It gives temperature in approx 3-4 seconds. I've seen guys say they need it instant for steaks.. I'm sorry, but I have no problem probing and getting temperature of steaks. Dinner last night was a perfect 130°F steak, I lost no arm hair. Thermapop is the way to go.
    It is a rare situation when those few seconds add up and make a difference.  However, it can be a problem when you are roasting 10 double-thick pork chops.  By the time you check them all, the fire has had a full minute or more of unrestricted airflow.  For those times, I prefer the faster thermometer.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Watch for thremopen to have an open box sale. When they do, someone always will post it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Well @Foghorn‌, I have a family of 5, 3 are 5 or younger, so I'm usually only doing 2 steaks at a time. I'm never in that rare situation, so for my needs pop wins.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    For whatever it's worth I received an email from them this morning as a reminder that their sale ends at midnight tonight. Instead of buying 1 for $96 you can buy 2 for $85 each so maybe a buddy is on the brink of ordering one also maybe?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    +1 with @RRP - good buy and saves shipping costs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Cazzy uses his finger.

Oh, That was his finger #:-S
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am getting a thermapop for night time cooks. Hate having to find a light for my old thermapen. May just get a back lit thermapen but so expensive.
  • bcsnave
    Options
    Lit said:
    I am getting a thermapop for night time cooks. Hate having to find a light for my old thermapen. May just get a back lit thermapen but so expensive.

Lit...

You got a KJ and a MIni...you had an egg... with the dollars you have in your equipment...why would you cheap out...BUY the damn Thermapen back "lit"

Glenbeulah, WI

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yeah I probably will. They had both the thermapop and backlit therma pen in stock in multiple colors at a BGE dealer near my work but its hard to spend $120 on another thermometer. I have gotten great deals on my existing eggs. Without accessories between my XL, large, KJ junior and Mini I am in about $1700 and the KJ junior and XL were both from dealers with full warranty.
  • warwoman
    Options
    Darn, I deleted a post from Thermoworks this morning on a friends sale of Thermapens. I know it's not the open box sale like the one I got my 'pen from, but the price is cheaper if you buy with a buddy. May want to get on their website and check it out.
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Just pulled the trigger and ordered a Thermapen.  Couldn't find a buddy for the $85 deal.  I had a $70 VISA gift card from the set of tires I just put on my truck and my mother-in-law gave me a $25 Amazon gift card.  Only had to pay the $3.99!  

If the dog grabs this one she maybe a gonner.. Anyone want a lab mix female dog?  She will fetch and was in obedience school.  She does a lot of things very well, but when she wants to be stubborn, she can be extremely stubborn.   

When you nail a cook, she will give you a wink too!!!!!!

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site