Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Litmus test: Who would you trust more with Pig Feet recipe: NY Times or SGH?

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
edited August 2014 in Pork
Discuss amongst yourselves.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Is there a 3rd option? >:) X_X :-\"
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:
    Is there a 3rd option? >:) X_X :-\"

no
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Is that a cheap shot at me brother Tex?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Just for the record I would put my money on SGH. I'm not certain of this but I'm more than sure he has won more whole hog comps than the NY Times. Just saying.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:
    Is that a cheap shot at me brother Tex?

no sir. Just the opposite. It's a serious question. Not many of us cook trotters on here but I'm intrigued who would trust a southern man who has familiarity to them or the NYT who has millions of readers and food writers who travel the world and report on stuff they may eat once. I tend to go local so will cast the first vote for SGH
  • SGH
    Wise choice my friend.^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Going with the same logic above... I would also go with local knowledge on this particular part of the pig.

@SGH‌
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    For anything normally cooked outside with a mouth full of Copenhagen over a fire, 100% SGH.  I have picked up some good cooking tips from NYT, but it's all air-conditioned kitchen stuff.
    @hapster‌
    Wise and sound choice my friend. SGH has 17 first place whole hog finishes and 23 top 10's. By my count the NYT has zero.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @nolaegghead‌
    Wise decision my friend. Wise decision.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:
    @hapster‌ Wise and sound choice my friend. SGH has 17 first place whole hog finishes and 23 top 10's. By my count the NYT has zero.

ha ha. Nice. But we are talking pig wings here. So... Let's hear about the 17 1st place finishes. When and where ? That's really cool.
  • SGH
    I made that up brother Tex ;)
    Never even cooked pork before. I only have a small weber grill.

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Before I read the above-I was just going with "Who posts here and who does not".  So quite an easy option.  Nothing has changed.  But... I am all in with no drama.  However, likely not the desired outcome.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    SGH said:
    I made that up brother Tex ;) Never even cooked pork before. I only have a small weber grill.
    Did SGH go Cazzy on CT?  Would that sentence ever make sense in any other forum?!
    Before I read the above-I was just going with "Who posts here and who does not".  So quite an easy option.  Nothing has changed.  But... I am all in with no drama.  However, likely not the desired outcome.  FWIW-

if that is a circular reference saying that I am starting **** and you are acknowledging that but sitting out then I agree 100%
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    My vote is for a southerner @SGH‌

Though I'd probably consult with serious eats as well... B-)
  • nolaegghead
    I just got dizzy (dusted) reading all that.  ^^^
    In all seriousness, I'd go with SGH as he's from the south and has experience with hog.

8-> Don't tell him I said that though. @-)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    cazzy said:

In all seriousness, I'd go with SGH as he's from the south and has experience with hog.

So you're admitting HE does exist?? :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Self proclaimed greatness, referring to oneself in the second person, self admitted story fabricator. What is one to now believe?

This may warrant a Dr. Phil intervention.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Jeremiah said:

cazzy said:

For the record, I never thought he was a robot and always said that he knows BBQ. Never once said the man doesn't know BBQ.
  • SGH
    Thank all of you for the kind words.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @nolaegghead‌
    I was just messing with brother Tex with the weber grill statement. Hard to respond driving 78 miles per hour on I-10 East!

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @Cen_Tex- you have it nailed-I'm sitting here in the land of KY jelly, and seeing where this lands.  That said, I'm moving on to the LEO (Low Earth Orbit) with hope of surfacing Sun AM.   :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2014
    Texting/posting and driving? You are truly gifted.

Further proof that Einstein's correlation of the universe and mankind's cerebral cortex is correct.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• SGH
    I hold the wheel with my knee and set the cruise control. It's fairly easy actually when you are not in heavy traffic.

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    cazzy said:

Jeremiah said:

cazzy said:

For the record, I never thought he was a robot and always said that he knows BBQ. Never once said the man doesn't know BBQ.

For the record, you claimed he was a troll. For the record, I thought so too. But we seemed to both be wrong.

He, SGH, seems to be a genuinely nice guy, and a heck of a cook.

My friend. :D :P
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    My vote would be for SGH
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • nolaegghead
    I've met SGH and his wife and you'll never meet nicer people.   He'll give you the shirt off his back.  I talk to him frequently via phone and he has a rare insight into knowing how to cook and the idiosyncrasies of meats, fire and smoke, versus just knowing recipes or formulaic cooking.  He also is a big joker.