Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Robin Williams

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    A true travesty to say the least. The world will seem a little dimmer without him. He will be missed by many the world over including myself. RIP brother Williams. You were truly one of the greats.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I grew up watching Jonathan Winters break up others with his improve, Robin Williams gave the master a run for his money many times - while still having a very good serious side. A talent that will be missed. 

My favourite - WARNING -LANGUAGE
    The Scotsman bits are my favorites as well.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Cazzy. I couldn't disagree with you more. It's not selfishness that drives one to suicide but hopelessness. Money, fame, drugs or even family or friends can relieve or help that hopelessness. Depression is a deep, dark and lonely abyss. Some are fortunate to overcome it, others come to cope with it and others lose hope to the point of not being able to go on.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    henapple said:
    @Cazzy. I couldn't disagree with you more. It's not selfishness that drives one to suicide but hopelessness. Money, fame, drugs or even family or friends can relieve or help that hopelessness. Depression is a deep, dark and lonely abyss. Some are fortunate to overcome it, others come to cope with it and others lose hope to the point of not being able to go on.
    I understand...several of yall made some good points.  Good knowledge old man river.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I always enjoyed his movies. This saddens me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited August 2014
    I too appreciated the fine talent Robin Williams shared with the world. Being an older person I recall other talented comedians who also checked out before their time. Recall the late Freddy Prince? John Belushi? And the heavy set young guy from SNL whose name escapes me just now? And while J Winters didn't do himself in he had extreme mental problems. Same way with Richard Pryor from here...another pacesetter comedian. Makes me wonder if their comic talent and need to make people laugh was their downfall.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    RRP said:

I too appreciated the fine talent Robin Williams shared with the world. Being an older person I recall other talented comedians who also checked out before their time. Recall the late Freddy Prince? John Belushi? And the heavy set young guy from SNL whose name escapes me just now? And while J Winters didn't do himself in he had extreme mental problems. Same way with Richard Pryor from here...another pacesetter comedian. Makes me wonder if their comic talent and need to make people laugh was their downfall.

I think a lot, if not most, comedy comes from a dark place. It seems like pain is necessary to develop that kind of humor.
  • johnkitchens
    @RRP you are thinking of Chris Farley. A lot of comedians are tormented by inner demons. It is weird but for all of highs (I am not talking about drugs) that Robin had (you know how crazy he was in his stand up routine) he must of had some very low lows. 

I feel bad for his family and his fans. I was one of them. 

• otter
    otter Posts: 340
    Lots of laughs, he will be missed..
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    @RRP you are thinking of Chris Farley. A lot of comedians are tormented by inner demons. It is weird but for all of highs (I am not talking about drugs) that Robin had (you know how crazy he was in his stand up routine) he must of had some very low lows. 

I feel bad for his family and his fans. I was one of them. 

Yes, Chris Farley! Thank you. Closer to me is a terrific buddy who is bi-polar and has been treated over the years. There's nothing he wouldn't do for me, but before he sobered up for the final time a few years ago plus as long as he stays on his meds he is fine! I helped him through his prostate cancer a few years back, but I know deep down if he "slips" and no one is there to catch him quickly he's a dead man. BTW to most everyone who think they know him he is ornery and a real hot head...but he is a GREAT guy under that outward appearance.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I grew up watching Mork and Mindy, I didn't miss a show. I will miss his comedy. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Troubled souls make the best entertainers. This one hurts though.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Bi polar depression is highs and lows. Some swing fast (day to day) and some swing longer, even 5 years to 5 years. What most people don't realize is that the highs are just as dangerous as the lows. @RRP‌, I don't think comedy was as much their downfall as it was a release.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    So so sad....  My heart aches...
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Like the rest of you I too will miss the man. Toyota one time (one time only) brought him in as the MC for a National Dealer Meeting. Wow, after the first little over an hour on stage with his act and introducing the new cars as well plus lots and lots of the f-bomb was not brought back another year. It was one of the very best new car shows ever..... I 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    I bet that was a riot @Mickey

• Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    One of the funniest men to ever walk the earth. Depression got the best of him, so sad. 
    Think of all our veterans with PTSD running around suffering 10 times the depression and mental issues that don't have the money or support to deal with it. Lord knows the VA can't do anything for them, I know first hand...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Oh captain my captain.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2014
    He made Good Will Hunting my favorite.  The park bench scene was a classic, along with several other scenes from that movie..   

@henapple, I couldn't agree with you more.  Seems like the media is so quick to turn to "depression, drugs, alcohol," etc.  Let's be real folks, who isn't "depressed" in this world today?  Watch the evening news, lol.  

Could have been a worsening health, chronic or recent diagnosis, losing hope?  Who knows???       

A 40-something year old Doc at our hospital decided that checking out was the best option after getting a stage IV breast cancer diagnosis last year.  Husband is a Doc as well.  They had kids.  Was she selfish?    

Yes, it's a great loss, but please don't judge and condemn the man.  We don't even know the real facts. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited August 2014
    I too have personal ties to suicide and depression. . . .Unless you have personally dealt with it, I don't think it can ever be truly understood.  

We have 'personally dealt' with it and even now - nine years and one month later - we still don't truly understand.

I don't think it's possible.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Well how do you like them apples?

I want to believe that he would want us to make light of the situation and have levity. But this one just floored me. I wish his friends and family the best and hopefully they have a strong support system to get them through.

For those of you that have been affected (and still are) by people close in your lives doing similar things, I can't say I understand how it feels. I wish you all the best and hopefully its something you can come to peace with eventually. The grieving process is hard enough but throwing in the extra confusion of a situation like that is unfathomable.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    I'm not telling any secrets out of school here, but Eggdom lost that wonderful baby back rib expert a.k.a. Car Wash Mike "this way" but he even used his egg to take him away from his earthly hell. RIP Mike and may you welcome Robin with some of your renowned ribs!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    My favorite was a good will hunting. Not the typical comedic role but an excellent performance.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

And with this, a little piece of joy has left the world. 

iTunes should (but won't, this is my dream world) have any and all Robin Williams material up online for free.  Simply because everybody should be allowed to relive his characters. 

I miss Mrs. Doubtfire.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682

Very saddened as well.  Unfortunately no one will ever know the reasons why, beyond speculations.  Only Mr. Williams knew.  I believe we are all one step from madness and it all comes down to how comfortable with ourselves we are, when alone.  Trying to deal with this in a humourous fashion by saying he was probably working on a Richard Manuel impression.  Shazbot!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I agree - this hit me a lot harder than most celebrity passings. The Academy's tweet last night made things a bit dusty, and I love that people are turning the bench in the Boston Punlic Garden into a memorial.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited August 2014
    A coworker and friend who worked security at my job took his life a few years ago. He was one of the most genuine and sincere people you could ever meet. A person who could light up a room. Hundreds if not thousands would walk past his desk every morning and he would know most by name and if not he made sure to smile and say ”hi”. Just getting to talk to him for a few minutes made your day a little more sweet. A person who could lift your spirit up when feeling down. It almost didn't seem right when he took a day off and wasn't present to greet you or to have a conversation with. A year or two prior I went over to his house and had an end of the year celebration with coworkers. We grilled up some brats and drank a few beers. I meet his wife and and felt welcomed as any other old friend. The guy had a heart of gold.

What we and most others didn't know was that he was a closet alcoholic who struggled with addiction. I later found out that he was going through a divorce and was worried about money.
    The guy who would give you a shirt off his back and put a smile on your face unfortunately put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. It wasn't until than I realized suicide doesn't judge. I would have bet my savings the guy didn't even have a late library book or a ticket on his driving record. I just wish he would have been more open. I know me and thousands of others would have helped him in any possible way. I wish I could have seen some type of sign. It's such a sad situation. My heart goes out to Mr. Willams family. More importantly he was a dad, brother, son, and a friend. Such a hard way to see people leave this precious earth.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I've never met Robin Williams, but man EVERY roll he was in, aside from Popeye, was great. I loved Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji, and his countless others. I am not usually to concerned with celebrity deaths, but this man was on another level. RIP.
  • It's a dark day, indeed.  Depression is an illness; it also is the worst kind of thief.  

If you know anyone who suffers/suffered, you've had a brief glimpse into hell.

I've seen people post links to suicide prevention hotlines in other places.  If even one person is able to reach out and avoid the demons for a minute or an hour or a day, RW's memory will be honored, IMHO.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • A_Smalltown_Egg
    A_Smalltown_Egg Posts: 33
    edited August 2014

I read an interesting piece on why comedians often commit suicide or essentially kill themselves one way or another:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robin-williams-why-funny-people-kill-themselves/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage (warning, foul language)

To save time for those who do not want to read it often times these comedians use comedy as a wall to protect themselves from personal issues/insecurities.

It is a shame to lose Mr. Williams...I had a chance to see his act twice and speak with him briefly once...he was very kind and seemed very genuine.  

My heart goes out to his family and friends.  Speaking from personal experience I would guess that they will always harbor some guilt and will wonder what they could have done to intervene and help him save himself from himself.