Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Robin Williams

Options
Eggcelsior
Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
I don't know about the rest of you, but this one hurts. I grew up loving his comedy and acting.

Damn.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I posted some links earlier on my YouTube discussion thread. I too grew up watching all his stand-up comedy. Mork & Mindy sitcom. All kinds of movies and voiceovers. Sad news indeed.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options
    Pretty sad..   From what I read it looks to have been suicide...  Such a shame.
    Rowlett, Texas
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    Good Morning, Vietnam and Patch Adams were two of my favorites.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    One of the greatest comedic geniuses of our generation. RIP Mork.
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Damn
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire, Birdcage... I loved his Letterman appearances.

It was a drive by fruiting!
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    RIP. Loved Good Morning Vietnam
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I can't think of any performance that he gave that wasn't just riveting. I'm still in utter shock & disbelief.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    The world according to Garp.. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Very few actors are as consistently successful doing comedy and drama.  Such a waste.

Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Holy hell.  On our way from our in-laws, my daughter said she wished we Jumanji to watch on the way to San Antonio.   :(

Loved his work and feel incredibly sorry for his family during this time.

I will say though, for me, this kind of tarnishes my image of him.  Never in a million years would I guess that someone so electric, funny and brilliant could end it all before their time.  I will never ever understand suicide...such a selfish act.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Ohh man.  I can't believe this happened. How can one of the funniest guys on earth be unhappy enough to take a shortcut... I'm blown away.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy‌ I'm unfortunately one of those that has been personally effected by suicide. It is a very confusing thing that I will also never understand.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌ I'm unfortunately one of those that has been personally affected by suicide. It is a very confusing thing that I will also never understand.
    It hurts their loved ones more than anyone else.  I don't get it.  
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I just know that all of us have demons, but there are those out there whose brains don't work like the rest of us.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy‌ yes. It does. It's not to be understood it is a rational person and in a moment with extremely weak and irrational behavior. I'm out. I have way too many thoughts on the subject and none of which I would publicly discuss. Tis very sad. Prayers for his family.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    So sad....what a comedy and acting icon we grew up with .......and although he gave us all so much joy and laughter , he kept none for himself.......RIP Robin.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I don't have personal experience with suicide, but I am familiar with serious depression. As much as we want to reason with it, the normal rules just don't apply. It's maddening
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2014
    Options
    So very sad. He was a classic.. Many comedians throughout time have suffered from depression. Suicide is a very selfish. Depression may be the most powerful, debilitating mental disorder known. He recently put his house up for sale, last month I believe. When we lived Boulder, CO my sister and her hubby lived in a house three doors from the Mork and Mindy house.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Who didn't mist up at least once during Mrs. Doubtfire! What a loss of pure comedic and serious acting genius! RIP!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I thought he was great.  I will miss him.  I loved his comedy but also his serious roles.  He was absolutely wonderful in "Awakenings".  It's sad and tragic when someone decides to end their life for the wrong reasons.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

@cazzy‌ yes. It does. It's not to be understood it is a rational person and in a moment with extremely weak and irrational behavior. I'm out. I have way too many thoughts on the subject and none of which I would publicly discuss. Tis very sad. Prayers for his family.

Agreed. Well said.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I grew up watching Jonathan Winters break up others with his improve, Robin Williams gave the master a run for his money many times - while still having a very good serious side. A talent that will be missed. 

My favourite - WARNING -LANGUAGE
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    ****!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    He always did something that was humble and open. He made the viewer feel like they were not only on the inside but made it easy to be on his side. This will sting for a while. Pray for his family and friends.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I too have personal ties to suicide and depression. I have seen far too many families and patients affected by it. Unless you have personally dealt with it, I don't think it can ever be truly understood. While it seems selfish to the rest of us, no one is in that person's head at that final moment. I have had patients who had unsuccessful attempts tell me to let them die or to kill them. It is very jarring.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    cazzy said:

I will say though, for me, this kind of tarnishes my image of him.  Never in a million years would I guess that someone so electric, funny and brilliant could end it all before their time.  I will never ever understand suicide...such a selfish act.  
    It shouldn't though, no more than someone dying due to some other serious illness.  Mental illness is very much an illness, and not a character flaw.  It's difficult for many of us to understand but people suffering from mental illness simply aren't processing the world in a rational manner.  

I write that as someone who has more than his fair share of experience in this domain.  I have lost two of my good friends from college to the disease.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Options
    I too have personal ties to suicide and depression. I have seen far too many families and patients affected by it. Unless you have personally dealt with it, I don't think it can ever be truly understood. While it seems selfish to the rest of us, no one is in that person's head at that final moment. I have had patients who had unsuccessful attempts tell me to let them die or to kill them. It is very jarring.
    Wow.  Respect to ya man, cause I can only imagine how difficult it is to be in your shoes during those times.
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:

It shouldn't though, no more than someone dying due to some other serious illness.  Mental illness is very much an illness, and not a character flaw.  It's difficult for many of us to understand but people suffering from mental illness simply aren't processing the world in a rational manner.  

I write that as someone who has more than his fair share of experience in this domain.  I have lost two of my good friends from college to the disease.  
    Good point John.