Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

General Tso Pork on the Mini BGE (pix)

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052

What the heck is up with the price of Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts these days?  I refused to pay the $4.99 per pound at BiLo earlier today and instead chose the $2 pack of 3 nice sized lean cut Pork Chops that were on sale for tonight's cook.  I figured Fried Pork Chops are good and General Tsao Sauce is also good...  you can't go wrong, right?  ;)

Fired up the Mini BGE, placed the CI skillet on the Mini Woo and brought some Canola Oil up to around 370ish deg F. 

Cubed up the pork chops and dusted them down with salt, corn starch and flour.

Then fried up the Pork chunks until I got a nice color.

Fried the Pork up in 2 batches.

Then sauced it up in this and added some Sesame Seeds before serving.

Served up with my wife's Fried Brown Rice. 

Simple and tasty start to the week.  Back to non-fried and low carb stuff tomorrow though.  :) 

Comments

• stevethegreat
    Options
    Looks awesome! I don't see a lot of people frying on their eggs, very cool.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • CLT_BGE
    CLT_BGE Posts: 12
    Options
    Looks good.
    Who makes the CI skillet?
    I just used my Lodge skillet for the first time today....so far, so good.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @CLT_BGE‌ , mine is the lodge CI skillet as well. Works perfect with my mini BGE.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @Dyal SC

Shouldn't your pictures have been sideways?
    :))

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Good idea and looks great.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks great to me!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx fellas! Not sure I am following you @HDumptyEsq‌ . :) I must be missing something.
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thx fellas! Not sure I am following you @HDumptyEsq‌ . :) I must be missing something.
    There was an old joke about oriental "things" being sideways. I'm just showing my age.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• Dyal_SC
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I just googled "oriental" and "sideways." I hope there is another explanation than the racist one I found. If not, please keep your comments to yourself and off my posts. Thanks. But I hope there is something I'm missing.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That looks great. Need to try that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @Dyal SC. In the usual vein of this forum, I was just pulling your leg. I'm not a racist and it would be better not to go there. I'll do as you suggest and stay the **** out of your ****. No offense was intended but if you can't take a zinger on this forum, you're in the wrong place. I'll not bother you again. ~X(

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx y'all for the nice comments! :)@HDumptyEsq‌ , no need to get upset. I'm just asking you to keep the racial banter off my posts is all. :)
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dyal_SC‌
    I'm a huge fan of fried rice. That looks excellent right there!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx @SGH ! My wife makes it with brown rice, onions, EVOO, garlic, and soy sauce. Good stuff.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dyal_SC‌
    You are quite welcome. Again that all looks excellent.

Status- Standing by.

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    Looks great! I love that sauce I use it on my pork tenderloins and they come out fantastic.

Aurora,OH
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Excellent cook as usual Mr. D. :-bd You got me inspired to do some. I'll probably just use my turkey fryer since its still on the proch and all hooked up from doing a double batch of beer this weekend. (IPA and a Wittbier)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Now it looks like you are just having fun with that Mini. Nice cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx fellas! @Griffin‌ , lemme know if you need help with the IPA. ;)@Mickey‌ , frying is one of my favorite uses of the mini. Gotta love the mini.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice cook and implementation of the mini! 

I have that same sauce, but have looked to fine a recipe with homemade sauce. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sure thing Dyal. I probably won't crack one till 6 weeks out. 2 weeks in the primary fermenter, 2 weeks secondary fermentor, bottle and then 2 weeks bottle condition minimum. In the mean time, I've still got some Texas Red and some bourbon barrel porter that are drinkable now and a saison that should be ready in about two weeks.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I'd skip the secondary fermentation. On my hoppy ales I do a 10-14 day primary. I dry hop just after high krausen (3-5 days) and then it's off to the keg. Using a secondary is just another chance to introduce oxygen, which will destroy your delicious IPA. 
    Aurora,OH
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job Dyal, I have not fried anything on the egg as of yet.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This is torture... it sounds terrific, but I can't see the pics at work!! Did you make the sauce or did you buy it? Either way, if you liked it can you share details? General Tso's is one of my favorites, but most places seem to make it too sweet for my liking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @caliking‌ , it is the "Iron Chef" brand of general tso sauce. Good stuff. :)
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Looks awesome Dyal as always!!!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Once again Dyal you have opened a new horizon of  'egging'.
     Creativity is the sign of an open mind.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• ponder
    ponder Posts: 77
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Dyal_SC‌ you know, it's people like you who make forums like this a miserable experience at times. How does a simple reference to an old joke become an excuse for a false sense of moral outrage based on questionable political correctness? If you were truly trying to represent a legitimate point of view and exhibit your moral superiority over someone else on this forum, why was it necessary for you to edit and improve your post? And the fact that you felt it necessary to go back and edit your post throws further doubt on your position. I find your false sense of outrage and your attempt at moral bullying offensive...not because you may or may not have been truly offended (and I seriously doubt you were), but because you used this as an excuse to cheaply boost your forum cred. I just imagine you sitting there reading all the posts deifying your incredible prowess on the egg (dude, your cooking some food, not saving lives with your skill as a neuro-oncological surgeon) when suddenly here is a post made in humor that sort of ruins that for you...always a risk when you take yourself too seriously on a public forum (or in your case, I suspect, use a forum as a place to validate your worth as a human being worthy of admiration to make up for the fact that you are most likely a complete tool in real life and don't get the sort of respect you think you deserve and are unfairly deprived of). I can just imagine how quickly you jumped at the chance to respond to HDumpty's post to punish the person who was (gasp!) less than worshipful of your skill...at cooking stuff...do you know anything about him? Do you know that he wrote affirmative action policies that were lauded by the government and adopted by corporations? Do you know his history, what he has done for others in the past and what he does today? No, you obviously don't. You simply used fake anger, foul language and most offensive of all political correctness as a bully stick to present yourself as a moral beacon to all those who are lucky enough to read your posts. How truly blessed we all our by you deigning to share your total awesomeness with us Neanderthals. Congratulations, and thank you for the lesson in proper thought...I don't know what I'd do without people like you telling me how I should think and pointing out improper attitudes and what I should and should not find humorous. By the way, please feel free to point out any mistakes in grammar or spelling I may make here....... Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end......Finally, before I forget and get another lesson from the thought police..."you're awesome dude!!!" There. I hope your ego is sufficiently stroked.
    Bloomington Springs, TN... LBGE, charcuterie, winemaker, cheesemaker, experimental plumber and approximate carpenter. Selective misanthrope and budding retrophrenologist.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Umm... Ok. Not sure what you mean by foul language. Never used any. Only asked that no racial banter to be used on my posts. If you look closely, it was the other dude that cursed. :)