Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FREE FireWires!!!

Options

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    That didn't work. (Insert gif of Jesus eating popcorn.)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    That didn't work. (Insert gif of Jesus eating popcorn.)

You suck. Was today your first day?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Treasure it while it lasts - you know this one will go the way of the wooley mammoth any minute now.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Don't you wish @SenecaTheYounger were around for a little verbal jousting? I'm sure he could make some suggestions as to where to stick the ends of these things more maximum utility. :-j

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I see your point, and I see his as well. I don't know Craig outside of this forum. I understand what he is trying to do (promote his business), and I admire and respect someone trying to build something for themselves, BUT on the other hand I know exactly how you guys feel as well. 

Craig has some awesome cooks as evidenced in his pictures. Cooks that I can only dream of doing. 

Maybe he should just post his cooks and not promote his brand here. The promotion hasn't been, and doesn't appear that it will ever be, well received. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I see your point, and I see his as well. I don't know Craig outside of this forum. I understand what he is trying to do (promote his business), and I admire and respect someone trying to build something for themselves, BUT on the other hand I know exactly how you guys feel as well. 

Craig has some awesome cooks as evidenced in his pictures. Cooks that I can only dream of doing. 

Maybe he should just post his cooks and not promote his brand here. The promotion hasn't been, and doesn't appear that it will ever be, well received. 
    very well stated and all true. The facts are though that he does not care about the forum or anyone on it so I have no problem having my jollies with the whole thing. I would never treat a normal forum member this way- it would be rude and just mean. He is not a regular forum member though. He read a web article about how to use forums (and forum members) to drive traffic and self promote his blog facebook etc. All those things are great- it's just not cool to use other people's intellectual property (this forum) to peel off customers for yourself. If you look at all of his comments, 90% of them are on his own posts so he can keep himself on the front page every day- several times a day. When he does not have a cook to post,  it's insightful daily posts like "Mustard or Ketchup Based Sauce" or "Brisket, whole or flat"? then he will comment on those a few times a day when someone bites. It's all good to me- I can only read so many "my fire went out is my meat safe" threads so I'm all in on the fun stuff from time to time.

You mean something like this?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:

very well stated and all true. The facts are though that he does not care about the forum or anyone on it so I have no problem having my jollies with the whole thing. I would never treat a normal forum member this way- it would be rude and just mean. He is not a regular forum member though. He read a web article about how to use forums (and forum members) to drive traffic and self promote his blog facebook etc. All those things are great- it's just not cool to use other people's intellectual property (this forum) to peel off customers for yourself. If you look at all of his comments, 90% of them are on his own posts so he can keep himself on the front page every day- several times a day. When he does not have a cook to post,  it's insightful daily posts like "Mustard or Ketchup Based Sauce" or "Brisket, whole or flat"? then he will comment on those a few times a day when someone bites. It's all good to me- I can only read so many "my fire went out is my meat safe" threads so I'm all in on the fun stuff from time to time.

yep- one of the thousands out there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    Options
    DMW said:

yep- one of the thousands out there. 
    Yeah, just google for "How to use forums to promote your blog"

Wait, I guess I should give anyone any ideas...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    DMW said:

Well, he sure wet the bed with #2 when he joined as @biggreencraigdotcom

I'd call that rushing in.   =))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • johnkitchens
    Options

I think you are right. I guess I try too hard to see the good in everyone. My wife tells me that a lot.

I am a "former" internet marketer so I know all about joining forums to get links back to your site so Google will rank you higher in the SERPS etc. I was just hoping that this wasn't the case here. 

The guy can cook! Why would he want to alienate himself and piss off this group when he is (or could be) one of us?  

I have business ventures that I am involved in, but I don't ever post about them because I don't want it to appear that I am self promoting. 

For the record I am just a regular guy that cooks simple cooks on my large egg for my family. I come here because I love seeing the amazing cooks that most of you are posting. No more no less. 

I feel bad for Craig in a way because he has ruined his chance at being accepted here because of his approach, but on the other hand he did it to himself. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    A free pack of "special bacon" with every like.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:

A free pack of "special bacon" with every like.

How much is s&m...er h
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    Options

I think you are right. I guess I try too hard to see the good in everyone. My wife tells me that a lot.

I am a "former" internet marketer so I know all about joining forums to get links back to your site so Google will rank you higher in the SERPS etc. I was just hoping that this wasn't the case here. 

The guy can cook! Why would he want to alienate himself and piss off this group when he is (or could be) one of us?  

I have business ventures that I am involved in, but I don't ever post about them because I don't want it to appear that I am self promoting. 

For the record I am just a regular guy that cooks simple cooks on my large egg for my family. I come here because I love seeing the amazing cooks that most of you are posting. No more no less. 

I feel bad for Craig in a way because he has ruined his chance at being accepted here because of his approach, but on the other hand he did it to himself. 
    John, this is his reboot too.  He originally joined as @biggreencraigdotcom and tried to sell us Big Green Craig t-shirts by making up some ploy that fooled nobody.  It will never be forgotten.   :))
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    The links from this forum are "No Follow" meaning they don't count in the eyes of Google (to help the site in Google) and they don't help your Page Rank. 

With that being said the only way it could help you by posting links to your site from here is to pick up followers from here. 

Just putting it out there. 

• cazzy
    Options
    Lets also point out that there are several active members who have (BETTER) blogs, and they don't self promote.  They're just eggheads who happen to have a blog site and don't force feed their blog down your throat to get traffic.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hmmm.

Seems like a lot of energy expended hating on a guy who's trying to make a buck.

Un-artful?  Maybe.  Okay, well . . . probably.

Evil?  Hardly.

The worst thing that could happen in your/anyone's life?  Puhleeze.

The effort required to simply scroll past his posts if you don't like him/them?  Negligible.

:)>-

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "With that being said the only way it could help you by posting links to your site from here is to pick up followers from here. "

Do mean something  like by "giving away" free firewires if you like him and facebook or twitter?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    Options

Hmmm.

Seems like a lot of energy expended hating on a guy who's trying to make a buck.

Un-artful?  Maybe.  Probably.

Evil?  Hardly.

The effort required to simply scroll past his posts if you don't like him/them?  Negligible.

We're just easily entertained my friend, my brother, my friend.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Look at that! It's shiny!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited July 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:

'kay.  Whatever.

Was just sayin'.

Happy almost-weekend.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    cazzy said:

Hmmm.

Un-artful?  Maybe.  Probably.

Evil?  Hardly.

I just spit my soda on the table. =))
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    Options
    @henapple I liked your post, when can I expect my bacon?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options

DMW said:

It may be "where I can expect my bacon."

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,590
    Options
    DMW said:

I read on another post henapple was a slut..Is that because he gives away free bacon.. :D
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    He does enough self-promoting on the Big Green Egg BBQers Facebook page that he shouldn't have to here - but, here we are!

:-O Almost reminds me - time is (once again) running out to order my Big Green Craig T-Shirt! Glad I checked Facebook in time!!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    Options
    "With that being said the only way it could help you by posting links to your site from here is to pick up followers from here. "

Do mean something  like by "giving away" free firewires if you like him and facebook or twitter?
    Yep. That would be one way for sure. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ your above comments after reviewing previous discussions etc seem to reign true (re: undesired advertising).

This may be a poor analogy by all accounts but, here I go......I recently had an emergency service call come thru at about 7pm. I went out diagnosed it & determined it needed some obscure but, readily available parts (electrical and hardware, etc). My normal supplier had it but, because it was after hrs there would be a $50 opening fee and I would have to wait about a hour for them to open up. I decided that I'd just get it at Big Orange (H.D.). So I'm looking for assistance to get some 4 wire jcord cut to length and up walks a guy in the H.D. uniform attire that "acted" like he was going to help me. It became very evident he didn't know $hit from shineola! Bingo! Yahtzee! He proceeds to explain to me "they're going to be in my area tomorrow and they can test my water for "FREE".". Very POLITELY said I'm not interested I just need these parts so I can finish my repairs at my customer that is waiting on me. But, he doesn't give up. Long story short he is a Rainsoft sales rep. Not a H.D. employee and has no idea what I need or want. Only wants to sell me his crap even after not once, not twice but, 5x tell him not interested.
    So I get what you are saying. Giving some BS away doesn't mean it isn't advertising. Not cool. Contribute to the forum is cool. Using it and members to get free advertising is not.

Done

Undone.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options