Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Starting: Paper Towel + Vegetable Oil Review

Options
I ran out of my little Weber Paraffin cubes so it was time to whip up a roll of oily rags.

Put some paper towels rolled up to fit in a coffee can + 1 cup of vegetable oil.

The results? WAY better than lighter cubes. Laid a sheet out flat with some lump on top and I had a much better starting fire, much quicker. Sure, a torch is cool, but this was super cheap and super easy.

I'll tell you all one thing: I'm not paying $4 for a pack of lighter cubes again.
Lubbock, TX
Large BGE

Comments

• wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    Oh yeah -- Making some chicken Fajitas tonight. I'll put a post up later. Tomorrow is pork tenderloin with Mickey's Coffee Rub and garden grown veggies.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I save bacon fat, used oil, etc, and all work great for starting a fire.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    If you leave the paper towels in the can for a couple of days, the oil "dries" into the towels and its much less messy.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I made up a can of these once and was not too impressed. I prefer the weedburner. Gets the job done in barely a minute.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If you run out of paper towels and oil, some crumbled up potato chips also work.
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    wpendlegg said:
    I ran out of my little Weber Paraffin cubes so it was time to whip up a roll of oily rags.

Put some paper towels rolled up to fit in a coffee can + 1 cup of vegetable oil.

The results? WAY better than lighter cubes. Laid a sheet out flat with some lump on top and I had a much better starting fire, much quicker. Sure, a torch is cool, but this was super cheap and super easy.

I'll tell you all one thing: I'm not paying $4 for a pack of lighter cubes again.
    How many to fit in a coffee can? Loosely or tightly rolled? Leave them stored in the can with a lid on or off?  Pictures?  Great idea...thanks!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    I roll mine tight. I use a small Tupperware container with lid. Probably fit 30 in there. I use 3 at a time to light for direct.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the $4.00 for starter cubes. Have you seen the meat prices or bacon prices lately???? Although it is a good idea to save where you can.
  • chashans
    Options
    I roll mine tight. I use a small Tupperware container with lid. Probably fit 30 in there. I use 3 at a time to light for direct.
    Got it...thank you!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• wpendlegg
    Options
    What @marysvillegger said is pretty much it. I got 2-3 dozen in there. I folded them in half length wise because I was using a small can.

2-3 dozen dowels, rolled up
    1 cup vegetable oil
    Coffee can.

Good to go.

If you don't like the way it works you are officially out 87 cents and 4 minutes of your time :-)
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • wpendlegg
    Options
    Here is a pic
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • chashans
    Options
    wpendlegg said:
    What @marysvillegger said is pretty much it. I got 2-3 dozen in there. I folded them in half length wise because I was using a small can.

2-3 dozen dowels, rolled up
    1 cup vegetable oil
    Coffee can.

Good to go.

If you don't like the way it works you are officially out 87 cents and 4 minutes of your time :-)
    Aye...now I see it. Great idea thanks!

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    I've always used an electric fire starter. You can buy them for $19 and they last for years. I stack some lump over the top of the metal loop and it takes about 10 minutes to get the fire going in the middle of the firebox. I think it is easiest and cheapest way to go. http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-Electric-Starter/dp/B000GFP1TO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404018418&sr=8-3&keywords=electric+fire+starter
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited June 2014
    Options

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    HogHeaven said:

I've always used an electric fire starter. You can buy them for $19 and they last for years. I stack some lump over the top of the metal loop and it takes about 10 minutes to get the fire going in the middle of the firebox. I think it is easiest and cheapest way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-Electric-Starter/dp/B000GFP1TO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404018418&sr=8-3&keywords=electric+fire+starter

Might be the easiest for you, but tripping over an extension cord sucks. Unfortunately, I seem to trip over every cord and hose in my path. It's just best if I avoid as many obstacles as possible.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Desertegghead
    Options
    If you could find a canister to hold it could you just use a whole roll of paper towels and pour the oil over it?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've tried this in the past and was underwhelmed. Weedburner wins.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Options
    Rutland fire cubes are my favorite fire starters.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Rutland fire cubes are my favorite fire starters.
    mine too...I bought a case of 24 in a carton with 24 in a box for $.50 per box at the end of one "grilling season" - yup that was 576 fires for $12. LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    papertowel fan here as well, have burnt out a propane torch, 2 mapp torches, still use my weedburner but its a hassle to bring the weedburner and forty pound pig back and forth to camp every weekend.
    :)) its the way to go with a mini, roll then fold the towel, light the end, and push it thru the lower vent fire first, seems to light better that way than putting the towel thru the lower vent and then lighting. i dont find the weedburner to be that much faster than the towell method
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I've been using coconut oil.  It is probably not the cheapest oil, but it burns really hot.  It isn't too messy and the other nice thing is it is not a bad smell so it's no biggie if it gets on you.  I don't do it ahead of time I just spear a glob on a 1/2 paper towel, roll loosely, and light. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I found a use for my side burner...fits a chimney perfectly. it's natural gas, never runs out. image
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The thing I liked about paper towels and oil was that it was free. Always have some used oil around the house and paper towels are ideal to wipe out a skillet before washing. Store the "oil and paper towel garbage" in a mason jar or coffee can until needed. 
    Have used electric for last 10 years or so. I have an outlet within a foot of the egg, no extension cord is needed. For those that use electrics (assuming 500-600 watt), strongly suggest no more than 8 minutes for first burn lump, no more than 6 minutes for second burn lump. Once the lump gets going, it burns so hot it will burn out the starter in no time. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    But the electric starter bends so pretty when you leave it in too long

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    But the electric starter bends so pretty when you leave it in too long
    Not going to ask how you know this having been there done that. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I originally staarted with an electric starter, ala Big Green recommendations, but, along with the extension cord issue, I didn't always have a handy place to set it down while it was still hot!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I've been using coconut oil.  It is probably not the cheapest oil, but it burns really hot.  It isn't too messy and the other nice thing is it is not a bad smell so it's no biggie if it gets on you.  I don't do it ahead of time I just spear a glob on a 1/2 paper towel, roll loosely, and light. 
    Works great for massages too.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    The thing I liked about paper towels and oil was that it was free. Always have some used oil around the house and paper towels are ideal to wipe out a skillet before washing. Store the "oil and paper towel garbage" in a mason jar or coffee can until needed. 
    Have used electric for last 10 years or so. I have an outlet within a foot of the egg, no extension cord is needed. For those that use electrics (assuming 500-600 watt), strongly suggest no more than 8 minutes for first burn lump, no more than 6 minutes for second burn lump. Once the lump gets going, it burns so hot it will burn out the starter in no time. 

I want free oil and paper towels. Definitely could go for the free paper towels. Are you talking free as you recycle them and use the old ones for the fire?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Wldrup
    Wldrup Posts: 2
    Options
    I reuse the paper towels I use to clean the coffee pot, wipe the counters etc.  They go in an old plastic Costco peanut jar with some cheap cooking oil.  Works great, gives the paper towels a second use and since I only use reasonably clean towels I can also use them to pre-oil the cast iron grate before I light em up.