Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chick-fil-a

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    cazzy said:
    @FanOfFanboys‌ Obesity is a problem in America, but just in case you didn't know, fat people work, carry insurance and pay taxes too. There are millions of fat and skinny people leeching off of the government. Our welfare, food stamps and unemployment policies are the true burden on this country. Make these freeloaders take a drug test, don't allow them to sell their food stamps and give them enough to survive and not thrive and maybe they'll be motivated to seek employment. You seem very passionate and educated on the subject, but saying fat people shouldn't reproduce makes you look judgemental and ignorant. Promote healthy living, but keep that **** to yourself because it discredits your message.
    It was a bit tongue in cheek but I get what you are saying.

Yes, many of them do work, pay taxes, and carry insurance. The issue is they cost more than they pay and they cost exponentially more than their healthy counterparts. Healthy people subsidize unhealthy people. If we are truly paid our fair share of healthcare and cost obesity would drop. 

And while I agree welfare and welfare related programs are a drain they are not in fact the biggest drain on this country financially. It is approx 13% of federal spending but much of it is needed. Hard to say exactly how much is wasted but can agree some of the programs are beneficial and everyone on it is not a freeloader. That is just factually incorrect. Corporate welfare actually cost more if going just by monetary amount. But I do agree an overhaul of the social welfare system is needed. I have been a proponent of mandatory drug test for years. I have 3 members of my family who work for DSS, one is a caseworker, and I get pretty unhappy when I hear about the system in its current state. 
    Boom
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    hapster said:
    hapster said:
    cazzy said:
    Fun post!! I knew there were anti-gay organizations out there, but I didn't know there were anti-fat people reproduction peeps out there. :-? I now know what I'm doing for breakfast...I'm going to go get a couple of CFA breakfast combos and eat them while I try to impregnate my wife. \:D/
    Anti-obesity crowd is huge. And the people who are proud to be fat are also huge (hehe)

They are easy to spot. They tend to be the ones who use the made-up Monroe quote about a size zero (though size zero, and that sizing system, did not exist when she was alive) and they post pictures of attractive women who weigh 150lbs but they weight over 200 and are disgusting looking. 

Obesity is America's biggest health issue and one of biggest cost issues. Linked to over 60 diseases, approx 20% of healthcare cost in America is related to obesity, etc. Can go on for a long time with how drastic the impact obesity has in America. If I could restrict one crowd of people from reproducing it would be obese people. 
    Hmmm... I'd say your argument and problem is more likely with the huge food companies that produce all the food with high fructose corn syrup, added this, "enriched" that... Funny how that the healthiest and most natural of foods are priced out of the average family's food budget. yet for $10 that same family can get a sack full of stuff to eat McD's... I guess you are okay with companies like Monsanto etc. that are pushing for GMOs and things like that. How do "good Christians" feel about companies like that are altering the way God created food? I guess they are okay with it as long as its eaten by groups and people they don't approve of...

Fat people reproducing is isn't what's driving the obesity issue... And that belief is just as bigoted as some of the others expressed during the course of this thread.
    I'd guess you are not good at guessing. Just based on how stupid you come across in this post.

I am highly against Monsanto and companies like them. Also, you sound like you need education on exactly GMO food is. It is not always a bad thing but it can be. 

I buy almost all my produce from local farmers markets. I am not a Christian. 

And there is a correlation between poverty and obesity. Some of that is the cost of healthy food versus unhealthy food. But it is foolish to assume that is the only issue. Obesity is seen across all income levels and is growing at an incredibly fast rate, especially amongst children. 20 years ago not a single state had an obesity rate above 15%. Today 41 states have obesity rate over 41%. That has more to do with just McDonalds. 

The factors are many, wide, and deep. My biggest issue with obesity is the people who are aware and justify it. They are all adults who know exercise is good yet they avoid it. They know certain foods are bad yet they eat it. They are a burden, financially, on this country at an astronomical rate. They excuse and justify their obesity and act is if the problem is not them. 

And obese people tend to raise obese kids because exercise and proper eating habits are not taught. If a person, barring major economical disadvantage, wanted to eat healthy they could. The average American certainly can afford to eat better than $10 worth of food at McDonalds and it is ignorant of true root cause to think otherwise. 
    Really... So I guess for you the simple solution is not having them reproduce?

I don't assume anything...

Read this
    http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702/ref=sr_1_http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/
    You make several assumptions, then in next post say you don't assume anything. Got it. 

And there is no simple solution. You missed the part where I said the factors for obesity are many, wide, and deep. 

What exactly am I assuming?

While true that the factors for obesity are numerous; your initial statements pertained to restricting the reproduction of obese people as a way to end the problem of obesity; you made no mention in your original argument of any of the many factors contributing to obesity that you so eloquently illuminated for us in later posts...  
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    +1 for Rockwood lump!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • FanOfFanboys
    hapster said:
    hapster said:
    hapster said:
    cazzy said:
    Fun post!! I knew there were anti-gay organizations out there, but I didn't know there were anti-fat people reproduction peeps out there. :-? I now know what I'm doing for breakfast...I'm going to go get a couple of CFA breakfast combos and eat them while I try to impregnate my wife. \:D/
    Anti-obesity crowd is huge. And the people who are proud to be fat are also huge (hehe)

They are easy to spot. They tend to be the ones who use the made-up Monroe quote about a size zero (though size zero, and that sizing system, did not exist when she was alive) and they post pictures of attractive women who weigh 150lbs but they weight over 200 and are disgusting looking. 

Obesity is America's biggest health issue and one of biggest cost issues. Linked to over 60 diseases, approx 20% of healthcare cost in America is related to obesity, etc. Can go on for a long time with how drastic the impact obesity has in America. If I could restrict one crowd of people from reproducing it would be obese people. 
    Hmmm... I'd say your argument and problem is more likely with the huge food companies that produce all the food with high fructose corn syrup, added this, "enriched" that... Funny how that the healthiest and most natural of foods are priced out of the average family's food budget. yet for $10 that same family can get a sack full of stuff to eat McD's... I guess you are okay with companies like Monsanto etc. that are pushing for GMOs and things like that. How do "good Christians" feel about companies like that are altering the way God created food? I guess they are okay with it as long as its eaten by groups and people they don't approve of...

Fat people reproducing is isn't what's driving the obesity issue... And that belief is just as bigoted as some of the others expressed during the course of this thread.
    I'd guess you are not good at guessing. Just based on how stupid you come across in this post.

I am highly against Monsanto and companies like them. Also, you sound like you need education on exactly GMO food is. It is not always a bad thing but it can be. 

I buy almost all my produce from local farmers markets. I am not a Christian. 

And there is a correlation between poverty and obesity. Some of that is the cost of healthy food versus unhealthy food. But it is foolish to assume that is the only issue. Obesity is seen across all income levels and is growing at an incredibly fast rate, especially amongst children. 20 years ago not a single state had an obesity rate above 15%. Today 41 states have obesity rate over 41%. That has more to do with just McDonalds. 

The factors are many, wide, and deep. My biggest issue with obesity is the people who are aware and justify it. They are all adults who know exercise is good yet they avoid it. They know certain foods are bad yet they eat it. They are a burden, financially, on this country at an astronomical rate. They excuse and justify their obesity and act is if the problem is not them. 

And obese people tend to raise obese kids because exercise and proper eating habits are not taught. If a person, barring major economical disadvantage, wanted to eat healthy they could. The average American certainly can afford to eat better than $10 worth of food at McDonalds and it is ignorant of true root cause to think otherwise. 
    Really... So I guess for you the simple solution is not having them reproduce?

I don't assume anything...

Read this
    http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702/ref=sr_1_http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/
    You make several assumptions, then in next post say you don't assume anything. Got it. 

And there is no simple solution. You missed the part where I said the factors for obesity are many, wide, and deep. 

What exactly am I assuming?

While true that the factors for obesity are numerous; your initial statements pertained to restricting the reproduction of obese people as a way to end the problem of obesity; you made no mention in your original argument of any of the many factors contributing to obesity that you so eloquently illuminated for us in later posts...  
    The first post of mine you quoted I listed obesity being tied to over 60 diseases and 20% of healthcare cost. I also did not say they should not reproduce, just that if I could restrict, which does not mean eliminate, one group it would be obese people. 

Your post in response to that is where you had your assumptions. Including my religious stance, my thoughts of Monsanto, my lack of knowledge on quality food in relation to economical status, and that it would be ok as long it was groups I did not approve of. 
    Boom
  • Ah crap.  Being against same sex marriage does not equate to anti-gay.  It's not about what you do behind close doors, or open doors for that matter.  It's about the preservation of a word that has been used to describe the union between a man and a woman for centuries.  Thats all.  

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    We'll damn. Now I have to go eat at Chick Fil A today cause yea, I support what the Cathy family is attempting to accomplish. Guess this pork loin in the Egg will have to wait until tomorrow.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Wow ! I joined this forum to learn about the Big Green Egg and cooking on it ! Why don't we keep it that way ? 
    I think a few people should take their pompous opinions to Facebook vice this forum
    Danville, Il
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If I remember correctly this started out as an on-topic discussion regarding the give away of a Big Green Egg. Then again, that was awhile ago and I have a feeling libations were flowing in between then and now. :))

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2014
    Poor @Diad.  This has got to be the worst thread hijack of all time!  I really think the poor guy was just trying to innocently show that a fast food joint was giving away an egg, then out of nowhere his discussion turned into the Jerry Springer show.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Amazing isn't it, how many of the more respected members here can get sooo ugly about what they and others believe in and support. Their true colors are shining through.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I like turtles.
    Even Alligator Snapping Turtles @nolaegghead?  They look like real life Bowser from Super Mario Bros. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I drank an entire fifth of bourbon last night....it was Friday night and I didn't have to work in the morning. 

Anyway, I apologize for the alcohol-fueled douche-baggery.  
    Yes, I'm an atheist and proud of it.  Yes, I'm progressive.  Yes I'm an environmentalist.  I believe in science.  I trust the consensus of the academics over the gut feelings of politicians.   I give money to environmental groups, animal groups.  I like to help people.  I go out of my way to help my neighbors and strangers.

I also love cooking.  And I'm kinda a homesteader because I like DIY.

I have lots of guns, because I like them.

I have plenty of friends on both sides of every issue and I don't hold grudges.

So there I am.
    That's one of the huge problems in America. Being dogmatic. I'm a vegan and everyone has to be also. I recycle and you should be forced to. I'm for gay marriage and you are a hater if you don't agree. I don't believe in welfare and if you're on it you're dragging America down. I believe in health care but get your own. Absolutely no abortion and others want post birth abortion rights.

There's no middle ground in this "my way or the highway" society.

@nolaegghead‌. I think the world of you and you're smart as hell. I like the fact that we can disagree and still be friends.
    You quoting the Southern Poverty to me is like me quoting the Quran to Billy Graham. As far as hating Obama. I can't stand his policies but the burgdahl thing was the straw....on so many levels.

That being said....I dont boycott anyone. CFA or Disney or Target.

I'm cooking chicken fried chicken tonight.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I forgot to add...gay marriage isn't ruining marriage, it's the 50% divorce rate.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    @henapple - I agree brother - friends fo-evah.  But we'll take the Burgdahl thing off-line. 

egger in los angeles is right in many ways. Even though that alter ego is a douche.
    Do you want hijack this thread to global warming?

Let it be, there will be an answer.... J.Lennon, and remember to
    'Imagine'.

• nolaegghead

Do you want hijack this thread to global warming? Let it be, there will be an answer.... J.Lennon, and remember to 'Imagine'.
    Not really, but sounds like you want that.  So here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

It amazes me that there are so many proponents of fast food here on a forum that's dedicated to cooking where so many people comment on how much less they go out to eat.  Blecch.
    NOLA
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited June 2014
    This always works...

What are YOU drinking at this moment?

Gittin' there...
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

@henapple - I agree brother - friends fo-evah.  But we'll take the Burgdahl thing off-line. 

egger in los angeles is right in many ways. Even though that alter ego is a douche.

Please include me. I have a unique perspective as I was over there when he left his post. I searched for weeks for him.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    @travistrick - sounds good, would like to hear it.
    Well, it's fast food to start with.  Second the proceeds, through the family that owns them, give money to hate groups and anti-LGBT groups that promote discrimination and lobby to pass laws on what folks can or can't do in the bedroom.  So if all that is what you're about, then it's another way for you to support that activity.

Mkadilla said:
    Geez, and I avoid them because they use MSG......
    That's 2 reasons I don't go there, but for me the most important reason is they discriminate against dark meat.  I've emailed them on this point and have asked them if they would kindly add the option of selecting "skinless boneless thigh meat".  I got a canned answer they would forward my request to the appropriate dept.  I'm not holding my breath, but until I hear I can get a nice juicy piece of dark meat in my chicken sandwich, I will not be visiting their drive-thru or dine-in facilites.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    WOW! I hate to say this but I just went to CFA to get a Sammy and enter to win the egg again. Didn't see this "discussion" coming.
    Chester, MD
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Just got back from CFA and entered for the BGE drawing.

The number one manufacturer of handheld power yard equipment is a 1932- 1944 Munich oriented company. Sadly, their number one hires are ex US Military. They don't seem to remember what our fathers fought for. Buy Husquavarna!

• FanOfFanboys

Do you want hijack this thread to global warming?

Let it be, there will be an answer.... J.Lennon, and remember to
    'Imagine'.

That dude was a ****. Incredibly hypocritical and overrated.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys

Please include me. I have a unique perspective as I was over there when he left his post. I searched for weeks for him.

Seriously?
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    henapple said:

I forgot to add...gay marriage isn't ruining marriage, it's the 50% divorce rate.

Certainly not helping the far right cause that marriage is sacred
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    Sorry about your divorce.  Went through that in '91.
    DIAD said:
    WOW! I hate to say this but I just went to CFA to get a Sammy and enter to win the egg again. Didn't see this "discussion" coming.

It's all YOUR fault, Dude!  X( 

:)) :)) :))

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure