Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Butt - out of my league

Options
Hawkeye
Hawkeye Posts: 32
Done a few smaller butts with pretty decent success but I am concerned I can bite off more than I can handle.  Having a bigger group tomorrow night so I had butcher get me a larger cut.

Picked it up an hour ago and it is nearly 13 pounds.

I need some advice from more experienced eggers to help me work through this project.  Need to serve tomorrow night.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would prolly cut it in half and cook at 350 straight thru. Rub with you favorite rub, you can use mustard as a binder or not because it really doesn't make a difference. Some use oak or hickory for smoke but I am partial to a mix of apple and cherry. If you split like suggested you can estimate about a 5-6hr cook.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I'd start it at 0600 at 225 and monitor the temp. By1400 if you're not at say, 160, wrap it in foil and crank the temp to 300. Other Eggers may have better ideas, but that's what I'd do. Hopefully you have a probe.
    Kemah, TX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Are you tentative about an overnight cook?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hawkeye
    Options
    Thank you for the comments.  I do have a probe.  I am a bit tentative on an overnight cook but I am not opposed to getting up very early and this group will not want to eat before 8pm at the earliest
  • Hawkeye
    Options
    Is cutting it in half purely to expedite the cook or is there some other concerns with a butt of this size

• Little Steven
    Options
    If you clean out your egg, get it stabilised at 250 for an hour or so and put the butt on about 11:00 pm you will be rewarded

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hawkeye
    Options
    Egg is cleaned out and loaded with lump.  If I start it at 1100 and do NOT cut it in half, what would you estimate cook time to be
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It's hard to say. Butts sort of have a mind of their own. That said, they are very forgiving so if say by noon tomorrow you can crank the heat. That big it is probably longer than it is thick so the hours per pouns is out the window. That is the way I would do it but I have never done a turbo butt.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Hawkeye said:
    Egg is cleaned out and loaded with lump.  If I start it at 1100 and do NOT cut it in half, what would you estimate cook time to be

You can make sure it is off the grill at least an hour before you eat after you assess it in the morning and throughout the day.  During daylight hours tomorrow you can raise the temp as high as 350 and if that isn't enough you can foil it.  While I turbo most of my butts they are usually in the 7-8 pound range.  At 13 pounds I would (based on supposition and no data) want to go lower for a good portion of the cook to minimize the temp difference between the outer surface and the center of the meat. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Hawkeye said:
    Is cutting it in half purely to expedite the cook or is there some other concerns with a butt of this size

Purely to expedite the cook plus it will give you more bark if you are into that kinda thing. I am a turbo'r but at the same time LS is shooting you good info for the low and slow side. It's up to you to decide which way to go.

analyze adapt overcome

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Cook plan hinges on the amount of BGE supervisory adult beverages you desire to write into the script :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Are you positive there aren't two butts in the package?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I go turbo, but for a butt that size, your bark may become char for the amount of time it takes to get tender.

I second the notion of beginning around d 250 and cranking later in the cook. Pork butt is pretty forgiving and can tolerate the high temps later.

You could probably go turbo and foil once the bark gets where u want it. This would also speed the cook. However, there are many on this forum that would have me shot for suggesting such a thing and you shot should you dare listen. . . X_X
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Could be a butt with part of the picnic attached. Can you post pics?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hawkeye
    Options
    You guys have all been great, trying to take it all in.  Yes I will post pics shortly

• Hawkeye
    Options
    It is one butt, not two in a package
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Hawkeye said:

It is one butt, not two in a package

10-4

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options

Hawkeye

Iowan??  We do have a few big pigs inside the borders, just check the state fair in August.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hawkeye said:
    Picked it up an hour ago and it is nearly 13 pounds.

I need some advice from more experienced eggers to help me work through this project.  

First let me say that im not a experienced egger. That being said you may want to ignore this and seek council else where. How ever I have cooked a few butts so I will share my findings. You have several options here. Let me point out a few of them.

First you can cook it whole between 225-250 for the entire cook with outstanding end results.

Second you can split it in half and cook at 225-250 for the entire cook with almost the same end result.

Third you can cook it whole at 225-250 until the internal temp reaches 160. At this point you can really start getting up on the heat if the need arises to meet a target finish.

Fourth you can split it in half and cook it at 300-350 with very good results.

Fifth you can cook it whole at 300-325 with very good results. On a butt this size if you chose to turbo I would recommend not going over 325 to help avoid drying the outside out and also as not to scorch the outer layer.

They all produce a fine end product. As far as cutting them in half it is only to speed the cooking process. It does nothing to improve the quality of the finished product. Again you may wish to consult others as im not a egg pro but I hope that I have at least provided you with some useful information. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @sgh - you sir sound like a pro and I appreciate all that you add to this forum.

analyze adapt overcome

• Hawkeye
    Options
    Yes, I am an Iowan, grew up in Iowa City
  • SGH
    Options
    @sgh -  I appreciate all that you add to this forum.
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. But I speak the truth when I say that my cooking on the egg is very limited when compared to others on here. However I have spent most of my life cooking bbq. Again thanks brother.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Hawkeye said: Large Butt - out of my league

No sir. Nothing is out of your league if you put your mind to it. Especially with all the assistance and good advice that you can get here on this forum. Its just a little larger of a cut and takes longer to cook. No big deal at all my friend. The procedure is the same, only the time is different. Also I see that you are from Iowa. In 1995-1996 I worked in Cedar Rapids building the Cedar River Paper Company. Would like to see it again some day. I have some real fond memories from my time spent up there.

Status- Standing by.