Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Painting the daisy wheel

gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
My wheel was pretty gunked up so I threw it on the grate during a recent clean burn. Well, it cleaned it right up. Even cleaned the paint off so its looking a bit rusty. Would it hurt to take it apart and paint it with high temp paint? Purely aesthetic but black looks prettier.
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    About once a year I use oven cleaner and pressure wash mine then spray hi temp grill paint...gloss.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Just spray it with Pam and it will look great! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited April 2014

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    gmac said:
    My wheel was pretty gunked up so I threw it on the grate during a recent clean burn. Well, it cleaned it right up. Even cleaned the paint off so its looking a bit rusty. Would it hurt to take it apart and paint it with high temp paint? Purely aesthetic but black looks prettier.

I did exactly that years ago and have never had to go it again! Now about every 4 years I give it an over night bath in household ammonia. Personally I hate the rust look from burning plus there is no need to continue to oil her.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Before @henapple gets to it...

... she always needs oiling.

There.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    I was gonna say every 4 years I take an overnight ammonia bath.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I used Rustoleum's Ultra High Heat Black Grill Paint on all of mine, no more issues. This paint is easily found at Walmart, HD, Lowe's, etc.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Although I have since moved to the SmokeWare Chimney Cap, I put two coats of Rust-Oleum high temperature black satin paint on the old daisywheel and it looks good as new:

http://www.food-fire.com/index.php/2011/09/16/refinished-dual-function-metal-top/

Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Isn't it cast iron? Shouldn't you just re-season it like you would a pan?
    Gadsden, AL
    Twitter: @matalexander

• henapple
    You could but you're not cooking on or in it.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    is this what you use ?
    Toronto
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Yea, that's it
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't see a problem painting them, but I don't have a rust problem unless I get too drunk to put the DFMT back in the egg when I'm done cooking.  And I live in probably one of the most humid climates you'll find in the continental US.
    @nolaegghead‌. ..then you probably have a rust problem. Soak it in the mass quantities of coke zero you pour out.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @henapple - I did slip up a few times and leave them out in the rain.  But I bead blasted them sprayed with oil and got better about putting them back in the egg when I'm done.  The coke zero is very corrosive, you should see my liver.  Oh wait, that's the Evan Williams. ;)
  • The original DFMT as-delivered isn't painted, or rather never used to be, but there's no harm in painting it if you want.  I was taught long ago on the old forum (does that place still exist?) to just place it inside the grill after using it.  It has stayed  seasoned that way for fifteen years, and any excess drips off in the warm environment.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• gmac
    Thanks all.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Holy Geez, do you go up on the roof and scrub out your chimney cap? The gunk will help it from rusting, as long as it does not keep it from working - passing air. 
    When you snuff the egg - throw it inside and that's all it needs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gmac
    edited April 2014
    Holy Geez, do you go up on the roof and scrub out your chimney cap? The gunk will help it from rusting, as long as it does not keep it from working - passing air. 
    When you snuff the egg - throw it inside and that's all it needs. 
    @Skiddymarker Of course, don't you?
    It was so gunked up it wouldn't open anymore.  That's why I threw it in.  I'd been doing a lot of low and slow and sugary cooks. Pulled pork, couple batches of bacon etc.  I think the sugar seemed to make it worse because it wouldn't move at all except pivot on the screw.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Lots of low and slows with fat and sugar laden moisture condensing on the DFMT will gunk it up pretty quickly. There is less build up if you throw the DFMT in the warm egg when you snuff it. 
    I use sani-brew (Diversol) to clean beer bottles. before throwing out the last tub full of cleaner, I tossed in my DFMT and grids. Let them soak overnight and they were very clean. The burned on stuff was still there, but the sticky stuff was gone. Thank you Guinness. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    That's what happened to mine - got so gunked up (despite being stored in the Egg) that it would stick and not open easily.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • henapple
    Pulp dmft