Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Caramel Sauce from Uchiko Austin

This is straight from Tyson Cole (Chef/Owner Uchi and Uchiko). They use this on everything- inculing their world famous Brussels Sprouts and Wagyu Short rib Sous Vide. Both the best I've ever had.

For caramelized fish sauce: 

1 Tbsp. peanut oil 
1 stalk of lemongrass, roughly chopped 
1 bulb of garlic, bulbs skinned and roughly chopped 
1 large shallot, roughly chopped 
1 large piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped 
1 Thai chili, roughly chopped 
1 cup packed chopped cilantro 
1/2 cup packed chopped mint 
1/2 cup packed chopped basil 
1 cup fish sauce 
1 cup sugar 

Combine lemongrass, garlic, shallot, ginger and Thai chili in a medium saucepot over medium heat and cook to caramelize. Add herbs and stir. Deglaze pan with fish sauce and add 1 cup water and sugar and cook until reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Strain and let cool. 

I'll be making the short rib as soon as humanly possible. crazy good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    The missuz makes her own family recipe for Nuoc Mam and it's great, but this sounds like it should be excellent. I expect you'll need a good kitchen fan though….fish sauce is super ripe smelling when used for deglazing!

Thanks for posting!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Thanks for sharing John!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Bookmarked!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• The missuz makes her own family recipe for Nuoc Mam and it's great, but this sounds like it should be excellent. I expect you'll need a good kitchen fan though….fish sauce is super ripe smelling when used for deglazing!

Thanks for posting!
    Chris
    good ventilation is key :)). I have a portable butane burner I can use outside. Might be a good thing to do with this one.

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Oh hayll yeah

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• You had me at fish sauce...   :x  Thank you for the recipe! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • You had me at fish sauce...   :x  Thank you for the recipe! 
    do this: 
  • oh my god- they blocked the link. I guess Uchiko uses Kamodo Joes!

idiots

• Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • oh my god- not they blocked the text too. Google Uchiko Brussels Sprouts and make them.

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Actually, last time we were at Uchi, the waiter told us they cook on several BGEs outside. It only made me love the place that much more!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Brussels sprouts with lemon and chili

This recipe, adapted from one that the kitchen staff at Uchi and Uchiko use, requires two prepared sauces, but you won't use all the sauce with the Brussels sprouts. You can reserve the extra sauce in the refrigerator and toss with roasted vegetables or noodle dishes or serve as dipping sauces for spring rolls.
    1 Tbsp. peanut oil
    1 cup fish sauce
    1 cup sugar
    For chili sauce:
    1 cup fish sauce
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup white vinegar
    5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
    3/4 cup roughly chopped leeks
    1/4 cup Korean chili flake
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 cup peanut oil, for frying
    1 lb. Brussels sprouts, cut in half
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Combine lemongrass, garlic, shallot, ginger and Thai chili in a medium saucepot over medium heat and cook to caramelize. Add herbs and stir. Deglaze pan with fish sauce and add 1 cup water and sugar and cook until reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Strain and let cool.
    While fish sauce mixture is reducing, combine fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, leeks, Korean chili flakes, salt and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepot. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Cool and then puree in a blender.
    Heat peanut oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add sprouts to hot oil and fry for three minutes. Remove with a spider strainer and place on a paper towel to absorb some of the liquid. Place sprouts in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 cup of prepared fish sauce, 1/2 cup prepared chili sauce and lemon juice. Serve in a bowl lined with parchment paper.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Duhn duhn duhhhhh.....

• Apparently they only block PC. Thanks iPhone :)).
  • Eggcelsior
    Brussels sprouts with lemon and chili

This recipe, adapted from one that the kitchen staff at Uchi and Uchiko use, requires two prepared sauces, but you won’t use all the sauce with the Brussels sprouts. You can reserve the extra sauce in the refrigerator and toss with roasted vegetables or noodle dishes or serve as dipping sauces for spring rolls.

1 Tbsp. peanut oil
    1 cup fish sauce
    1 cup sugar

For chili sauce:
    1 cup fish sauce
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup white vinegar
    5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
    3/4 cup roughly chopped leeks
    1/4 cup Korean chili flake
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 cup peanut oil, for frying
    1 lb. Brussels sprouts, cut in half
    Juice of 1/2 lemon

While fish sauce mixture is reducing, combine fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, leeks, Korean chili flakes, salt and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepot. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Cool and then puree in a blender.

Heat peanut oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add sprouts to hot oil and fry for three minutes. Remove with a spider strainer and place on a paper towel to absorb some of the liquid. Place sprouts in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 cup of prepared fish sauce, 1/2 cup prepared chili sauce and lemon juice. Serve in a bowl lined with parchment paper.

— From Uchi chef Tyson Cole
  • Eggcelsior
    Whoops. 2 minute too late.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Apparently they only block PC. Thanks iPhone :)).
    I have to put brackets around links and quotes. I don't know if anything else would work

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• YUM!  =P~
    Thank you . . . 
  • YUM!  =P~
    Thank you . . . 
    so good. the SV short rib with that was amazing too. They do a 72 hr SV on a wagyu boneless short rib then flash cool it. They slice sushi sizes pieces off the rib and flash sear for like 30 seconds a side glazed in the fish caramel. they put it on rice like sushi. it just melts in your mouth. It really didn't even taste like beef. It was so delicate...and 80% fat :))

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Man, that sounds good.  I'm making that sauce.  I don't need to be eating 20/80 beef, but I'd love to try with some SV veal short ribs, which go tender so fast you only need to SV them for 48 hours.
     It was so delicate...and 80% fat :))

Perfect!  :x
  • Man, that sounds good.  I'm making that sauce.  I don't need to be eating 20/80 beef, but I'd love to try with some SV veal short ribs, which go tender so fast you only need to SV them for 48 hours.
    sounds awesome. I only had about an ounce so I don't feel too guilty. I would hate to have to eat a half pound of it! They do beef tongue the same way. Out of this world. A really good brisket point would get you there as well. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Thanks for sharing, bookmarked.
    canuckland