Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Egg cracked

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Just posted my pizza success/failure cook.  Egg temp was 600.  Shut it down after the cook, and just went out to clean up the cooking area and found this.  Cracked all the way through to the bottom.  I will be in mourning the rest of the weekend.  I guess I'll see how good my dealer is tomorrow.  Once it cools completely I'll see if there is any other inside damage. 

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    That's a bummer. You will be fine though...they will replace it!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Oy vey. I really need to register my warranties...
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Oh no!!! Take plenty of pictures. Not sure who your dealer is but I has a good experience with Lanchester in Gap.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Are you required to deal with your original dealer? (Since buying mine, I've been dealing with another (closer) dealer who I like better)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I think these occur from high heat. My mini cracked the same way after a clean burn.
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Ouch TJ!  That is a big crack.  I'm sure your dealer will take care of you, or you can find one that will. 

Jeremiah said:
    Are you required to deal with your original dealer? (Since buying mine, I've been dealing with another (closer) dealer who I like better)
    ...any authorized dealer can handle warranty issues.  Doesn't have to be the one you bought it from. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tjcoley
    I'll start where I bought it, since it's only about 2 miles from the house. Same place I bought my gas fireplace from. Hoping as a long time customer I'll be treated right. We shall see. It's too dark out now, but can't wait to see what the inside looks like in the morning.
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mine's been like that for a year or more. One of these days, I'll file for a replacement. Along with a new fire box.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2014
    Yeah been using my cracked mini for a year now already have a replacement. May become a planter this spring.

Or drill some holes, put some screws and a grate in and its a hibachi?
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just send them a link to this thread as picture proof.
    That sucks, hope it all works out!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I've mentioned this in a few other posts about recent cracks.

My base also cracked similar to yours.  My dealer got me a replacement and when we installed it, the new base was about an inch less in circumference.  Just enough so that the bottom band 'ends' actually touched before you could bend the bolt.  BGE said it was defective and sent another base which I haven't picked up yet. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Hope it works out ok for you. That has got to just make your heart stop when you see that happen.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I suggest you go direct to BGE  Customer Service with your pictures.  If you sent in your warranty info they will confirm.  If you did not, they may ask for a copy of original receipt.  Once approved by BGE you can forward to the dealer of your choice and they will order in your new part.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    :(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I would be distraught. I actually just took a flashlight out and checked mine. I think I am paranoid.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Ouch! That stinks but I'm sure they'll take care of you.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Mine cracked last summer. I cooked on it while the new base was on order. I went through my dealer. I sent them pictures and they had a new base for me within a week. When I took the bands off to put on the new base, the crack went clear across the firebox bottom. I could actually hear it pop.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    One of my larges cracked early last year.  I just took a copy of my receipt and a photo of the crack to my dealer and two weeks later I had a replacement base.  I still need to change it out, but I'm just too busy cooking on it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The Flu and now this, how much can one guy take? 
    Hope it all works out Ok, keep us up to date...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    You're fine. You will get it replaced. Mine is currently in order now from my dealer.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Ouch man. Hope the system works and gets you all fixed up.

I know some cook/grill on a cracked one, but if you are on a deck, please be careful. Don't take any chances.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Aviator said:

I know some cook/grill on a cracked one, but if you are on a deck, please be careful. Don't take any chances.

Solid advice!   Pretty sure TJ has his egg on a pimped out patio.  Recall seeing it on the "how much have you spent on your eggs" thread ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I'll use the same post from when you were sick: That sux TJ. I hope you get better real soon.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Stopped by the dealer (AES Hearthplace) this morning with receipt and pictures.  They are going to call me Monday to let me know.  They don't see any issue with a replacement, and actually have put a large aside so as soon as they hear from the Mothership I can pick up the replacement.  They were very good about it, just not sure of the process with BGE since they've never had to deal with a cracked Egg before.  Thanks for all your thoughts and sympathy. 
    Aviator said:

Solid advice!   Pretty sure TJ has his egg on a pimped out patio.  Recall seeing it on the "how much have you spent on your eggs" thread ;)
    It sits on a stamped concrete patio away from the house.  I'll probably try using it, but will key an eye on it.
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Hmm, I don't know if I ever sent in my warranty card.  And as my wife bought it, I have no idea where the receipt is.  I keep my financial records in order, my wife, not so much.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that mine never cracks.  I was contemplating trying a real high temp sear on a steak sometime, but if these cracks are more prone to occur when going real hot, maybe I'll leave the ultra high temp for the propane powered stainless steel grill.  I'm pretty sure it won't crack.  Maybe Green Acres keeps computer records of purchases and will be able to validate my warranty should I ever need it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    My LBGE is cracked to hell and back. The fire ring looks like it was hit by lightning. The lower half of the Egg has a crack all the way across the bottom, but it is still holding together as it's pinched in the Nest. I had ignored it but I know I need to get it taken care of, because it will disintegrate if I try to move it to a table. 

Thanks to this thread I finally started looking for my paperwork...