Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wanting to do my first brisket, need some help

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Be sure to let us know how it turns out. Alot of good people had gave alot of good advice. I think you will do just fine.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap said:
    The key is patience as you roll thru the stall.  And should you somehow decide to check the temp in the point section that you have, it will very likely be hotter due to the fat content.  No worries, the point can ride along until you get the right feel in the thickest part of the flat.  Enjoy-good eats await.
    Great info once again.Thanks. Wind is howling out here today Gusts up to 5o Kph or 30 mph.. Almost have both vents shut completely. The egg is sitting at 270. 
    Will check the point in an hour or so.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited February 2014
    I want to give all of those that lent a hand in getting me through this cook a big thank you. I am happy to report that I no longer am a Brisket Virgin. I had a great time reading the replies to my questions, you were a very helpful bunch.
    Want to make a few comments to those of you that did help me through it 
    @greg345, & @clintmiller," the videos "did help to describe the process and to be able to see it, well that was a push in the right direction for me. Also that :the forum is behind you." Very true, many of us have never met, but through this forum we get to know others and join in the fun of what we all enjoy.
    I heard many different ways to do this, and it was a bit of a decision as to which way I should attempt to do it. Then...
    @lousubcap, you said "go with conviction", perfect suggestion, there probably isn't one exact way to do it, and many options work, just gotta run with what you feel best with, and" enjoy the ride."
    @ SGH you were willing to go the extra mile and offered "additional help." Also suggesting different wood for the smoking, or what to do with what I have.
    @henapple, "the "S" word "will from here on in will be forever out of my vocabulary, even on a cold day.
    :))
    @cazzy "the pictures" you sent will be used on a go forward basis to ensure proper butcher training for those of us in the GWN. so that no more "brisket point sin" will take place.
    @minniemoh, "invite friends." great suggestion, I did invite some Guinea pigs, my folks, who bravely stepped forward and said "we will take one for the team. 
    @R2Egg2Q "brisket on a small," awesome, something to try down the road.
    @LS thanks for coming up with the "roll and tie idea" to try and help the newbie out, and also the great idea for the "longer brisket". Also for the tutoring," Spell humor right Canuck! "
    So now that I have survived this ordeal, to @tarheelmat and @drewaars, I say go for it, give it a try and "enjoy the ride."
    So here is what went down:
    up at 5am fired up the large egg, while it was getting up to temp, pulled the brisket out of the fridge and trimmed some of the silver skin and fat off the brisket. Used Franklin's  recipe of 50/50 S&P. Sprinkled it on and let the meat rest on the counter for about 45 minutes, till the egg was stabilized at 250-260*. Put the brisket on the grill, fat side up. Stayed with the egg for a while, then went back to bed. So the egg went on at 6am. Was hoping for about 11/2 hours per pound. Turned out that it worked out to 13/4 hours per pound, we were hoping to eat at 6pm. It was a total of 11.5 hours. I did not wrap it or anything other than leave it on the grill the entire time.
    During that time I had to step out for a bit, told SWMBO that I would keep in touch.

If I'm flying out to Abbotsford I'm bringing a US brisket I have in the fridge.
    So off to the airport, waited for quite a while, NO LS. After several hours of waiting, I couldn't risk it any longer, I had to return home to the brisket and company. So @LS, what happened, did the airline confiscate you and the brisket??

Got home fired up the small egg for the twice baked potatoes. When the brisket reached 203 it was pulled and it was foiled and rested for 30 minutes.

All in all it was a VERY good meal, my folks and wife all commented on the cook. Carved cross the grain on the flat, it looked good to me, please tell me what you think of the pictures. Not much of a smoke ring. After about 4or5 slices into it, I noticed that when I cut into it more, there was a lot of juice coming out of it with every slice. Is that normal? We enjoy the flavour and texture. Second helpings were started out from the point end. SWMBO was the first to say, Whoa, ya gotta try this, which all did of course.
    Well enough of this rumbling, Thank You everyone for your help. If forget to mention anyone for helping, it is not my intent, sorry for letting it slip by.
    Here are some pics.

Large, small, and a mini
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    That looks really good.
    NOLA
  • What's up with the green stuff?  

Looks like it came out pretty well - perhaps a bit dry?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @johinCarolin, hey there, are you talking about the first picture?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    edited February 2014
    @johinCarolin, hey there, are you talking about the first picture?
    Yup!  Is that just the pepper?  Man it looks so green to me.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Probably just the lighting, the rub was S&P
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Dude, I'm sitting at terminal 1 at YVR at Stanley's bar with a warm brisket on my lap. For God sakes come and get me. Think you could help out with my tab?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dude, I'm sitting at terminal 1 at YVR at Stanley's bar with a warm brisket on my lap. For God sakes come and get me. Think you could help out with my tab?

=)) =))
    Large, small, and a mini
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I had total faith in you. Good job. Would you do anything different next time? There will be a next time sooner than later. Also, what are you goin to do with the leftovers?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Dude, if I was home on TO at a bar with a big piece of raw meat on my lap folks would look at me funny. They seem to like it here. Lots of guys are stopping and talking to me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @greg345, leftovers are vacuum sealed, will use them in the near future. We will do it again for sure. Next time I will use a different smoke and will try a little less salt in the rub.
    Large, small, and a mini

• Dude, if I was home on TO at a bar with a big piece of raw meat on my lap folks would look at me funny. They seem to like it here. Lots of guys are stopping and talking to me.

So how did that go for ya???

:))
    Large, small, and a mini
  • There are a lot of really nice guys around here. They are all commenting on my meat and stuff. Never realised how nice folks from the west coast are.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven said: There are a lot of really nice guys around here. They are all commenting on my meat and stuff. Never realised how nice folks from the west coast are.
    @LS, Listen carefully Steven, I want you to stay
    seated, I am on my way.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Don't hurry. I don't have enough money to pay the bill. I spent more in the bar than I did on the flight. How can they charge so much for a stinkin' Kokanee? I think this one guy I'm talking to now is gonna pick up the tab. Like I said...really nice guys here!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• "Run Forest Run"
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Don't hurry. I don't have enough money to pay the bill. I spent more in the bar than I did on the flight. How can they charge so much for a stinkin' Kokanee? I think this one guy I'm talking to now is gonna pick up the tab. Like I said...really nice guys here!

They are after one thing, and one thing only,,,,,,,,,,, your brisket.

Large, small, and a mini
  • He talks a bit funny for a Canuck but he seems to know a lot about fashion, entertainment and opera. Really nice fella.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Given the a$$whippin' the GWN folks have delivered to us Yanks' over in southern Siberia and the fact that I am intentionally not focusing on the side show, congrats on a great result.   And always remember, the quality of the meat (no laps needed:)) goes a long way to a successful outcome.  :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Im glad it turned out for you my friend. Keep cooking and God bless.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @lousubcap Thanks for help. We did enjoy the game today. See what happens on Sunday.
    @SGH really appreciate the offer for additional help, next time I will use a different type of wood, will try to find oak out our way. Thanks again.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    You are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Good jon! Happy to help!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice job particularly considering the odd butchering of that packer! Looks a heck of a lot better than my first brisket.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Wouldn't have done it without your help
    Large, small, and a mini
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

@SMOKESNIFFER...hope you enjoyed your first one.....I'm starting mine this afternoon when I get home from work. I have it rubbed down and in the refrig now.

Sounds like you pretty much followed every direction that I am inte nding to do (except I have created my own brisket rub). I've fixed smaller ones, but this is my first intact brisket with flat and point together.

Like I always say....thanks again to all the forum for the eggcellent help and advice.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @#dldawes1-enjoy the journey.  Since the BGE runs hotter towards the back slightly right of center , you may want to orient your brisket with the point in that area as it has much more fat and can deal with the the heat a lot better.  BTW-I always put a plate setter leg over that spot to help even out the temps.  FWIW-YMMV.  Gonna be great eats at the finish-line!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @dldawes! the first one we totally enjoyed, looking forward to following your post. Wish you well, enjoy the weekend.
    Large, small, and a mini