Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you like your spouse's cooking?

Okay, yeah I said it!  While I appreciate when she tries to cook, it's all usually one note, uncreative, and not too tasty.  I'm not cen-tex that is outshined by my wife in the kitchen, I do about 95% of the cooking in our household.  I try to help her, but she doesn't have much desire to learn and rather I do it anyway.  

This popped in my brain because I was reading the thread "Does your wife like your cooking?" and came home to a prepared dinner.  I always eat and thank her for preparing dinner, but I rarely enjoy it.

Not looking for how to fix it advice, just more curious if any of yall are in the same boat.   :P
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• If you call opening a box and adding water cooking then sure, I love her cooking! 

Actually when she does have the time to cook a real meal she usually does pretty good. There a few dishes that she makes that I really do love. Most of the cooking is done by me, which is fine by me. It gives me the excuse to buy more accessories for the egg!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • When I first got married the answer was no.  But to her credit she has come a long was since then and now i can honestly say that 95% of her cooking is good.  But like you I do 90%+ of the cooking anyhow and don't mind it a bit.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Same boat for sure. SWMBO's idea of dinner is boil some water, cook the pasta until it is about the texture of canned Zoodles, open a jar of Ragu or Prego and stir it up. Buns and rolls are out of a bag from the local supermarket. 
    I usually cook and she lets me.

Now desserts are a different story. Her cookies and pies are incredible. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Nope! She tried to make pork chops and sauerkraut one night, basically put pork chops in a pan and poured kraut over the top and baked. I sat and watched in horror but kept my mouth shut because this might of been our 5th date. After I took two bites I had to tell her it was awful, she agreed also. From now on She makes popcorn for movie night and that's it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Absolutely.

We split duties and play to our strengths. She does the baking, all of the fish curries, most of the Asian dishes and other Indian dishes. I do the bbq/grilling, some Indian dishes (goat, shrimp, etc), some Asian dishes in a wok on the egg,  and other "Continental"/non-Indian items. We both love to cook, which is a win.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    My wife is an excellent country cook. If it is fried or smothered in gravy she is the worlds best. Healthy cooking not so much. That might be the reason I am 100 pounds overweight!
    Duncan, SC
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Mross said:
    My wife is an excellent country cook. If it is fried or smothered in gravy she is the worlds best. Healthy cooking not so much. That might be the reason I am 100 pounds overweight!
    Damn, maybe that's how I cook then cause I need to drop some major Lbs.  lol
  • cazzy
    Last nights dinner was some type of chicken, wild rice, and mushroom concoction she backed in the oven.  She asked for my Thermapen and I was like yeah...but it was just to make sure we wouldn't die.  The rice was mushy and the chicken was pasty and way overdone, and no seasoning was added.  Chicken was white. lol
  • Yes, she's got several excellent dishes in her repertoire.  We used to cook together all the time in the B.K. era (Before Kids).  She lets me handle any and all grill work which is just how I want it.  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• My wife can cook pancakes and eggs and that is about it, but they're good. Anything else she makes comes out of the microwave.
    Aurora,OH
  • I am very fortunate that my wife is an excellent cook, and also that I eat just about everything and anything she puts in front of me.  She often apologizes when she thinks something isn't quite up to snuff, and I'm always like "You NEVER have to apologize to me for cooking dinner."
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    I guess I'm spoiled, because my mom was an insane cook. She could see random ingredients and produce a meal you thought she planned for weeks. She's also the main reason I love to cook.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited February 2014
    When I first met my wife anything beyond salt and pepper was foreign. She never even had Salmon before she met me. She now really enjoys cooking and helping out with cooks. She even fires up the egg to grill dinner. Even had a few text saying she was inviting her coworkers over to egg. She digs the egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    My wife does okay in the kitchen, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Though she is the primary baker in our household.  I do not bake much. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

My wife does various cooks - but has a limited repertoire.  This includes - pasta dishes with sauce from a jar - to homemade lasagna, chili, stroganoff, etc.  She doesn't like cooking and does so very rarely, but it is almost always quite good.  Occasionally she will modify a recipe with "I didn't have any ______ so I substituted _____." and that is rarely a good thing. 

My favorite is when she takes a great recipe and says "I wanted to cut down on the calories in this dish so I substituted low fat ______"...  Again, that is rarely a good thing. 

But I always eat it up and tell her it was great, until she asks "Did you like the substitution I made with the ____" and I reply "It was good, but I like the original recipe better."  Most of the time she will go back to the original recipe.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sher-bear grew up in the south when women still taught their kids to cook. Her lasagna is a house favorite. Fried pork chops and unbelievable home fries.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited February 2014

I'm right there with ya buddy.  My wife is exactly the same.  But, to her defense,  she grew up in a house with a working mother who cooked to feed....not out of an enjoyment of cooking or a love of food.  My mom loves food and loves to cook.  As a kid she always had me in the kitchen helping her. 

Now we split the cooking duties but everyone is happy when daddy cooks.   

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    She is an excellent cook but since I am retired and like to cook and she is still working I do most of the cooking. Works for us.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • I wish my wife would cook more..she does specialty things. (paleo treats and etc) but i do the proteins and veggies almost all the time.. We do cook together i guess. She helps prep but I do the actual work and cook... 
    Beaufort, SC
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    My wife prefers to stay outta my way when it comes to shopping or cooking... however, she hands down makes the best egg or tuna salad I've ever had.

She can cook the basics and makes a mean pound cake using my mom's recipe. It's just that she's not into it and since she love's my cooking, doesn't have a problem with it LOL
  • Yes I enjoy my wife's cooking she's really a good cook but im better on the outside kitchen her domain is in the indoor kitchen
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    So many replies are parallel to that of my wife. She couldn't cook much when we were first married, but then she was teaching school and had home work to grade every night. We shared kitchen duties back then about 80 - 20 with her being the 80%. Then she starting working on her Master's degree and after achieving that her Ph.d and I started developing my own dishes and cooking more so we got to 50-50. After I got our eggs 14 years ago and we both retired 9 years ago the cooking duties are like 90-10 with me doing the 90%. There are a number of her meals that I just love and those even go back to early marriage now 48 years ago! As for new dishes she tries something new to us once a quarter, but she follows every recipe to the T - she doesn't like to be creative, but I love her so!!! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gezr said:
    She is an excellent cook but since I am retired and like to cook and she is still working I do most of the cooking. Works for us.

Retired with the wife still working.  You are my hero!!  lol ^:)^

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• cazzy
    edited February 2014
    I think the biggest challenge is my wife is picky with certain textures. ie, she'll eat onion rings or a salad, but gets burgers plain & dry and I can't put any onions in dishes. There are other veggies too that are a no no.

The first time I had her start my sauce, she questioned me when we went over the mirepoix. Um, I'm not adding onions or celery. Honey, you've had it before and never complained, they'll cook down during the simmer. Lol
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    My wife makes a fantastic salad and some mean frozen chicken tenders.   :))  I do all of the cooking.  I think a lot of it has to do with how you were raised.  Both of my parents are good cooks (actually all of us in my family are good cooks) however, my mother-in-law is a terrible cook.  I actually was cooking at the in-laws about a year ago or so and grabbed the garlic salt and noticed it had an expire date of 2001.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    yes, my wife cooks primarily during the week and we both tend to cook with cooks illustrated.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    My mother in law in the other hand.. can't cook for ****. Cookies like hockey pucks, salmon so dry it could have come from a can, etc.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I see a few of you will be sleeping with Rover for a little while.  B-)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I'd say we fall in somewhere in the 75/25% range with me doing 75% of the cooking. My wife can make some amazing dishes. Her lasagna comes to mind. She also rocks out soups and can make some mean casseroles. We joked in our dating years that she was the Casserole Queen. She has so many casserole dishes. She's also a great sous chef, helping with the chopping or anything else that needs doing if she makes it home from work early enough. I'd probably say that Mrs. G does the majority of the cooking on Sunday. She takes all day and the house always smells amazing.

I will say she has one dish called Husband's Delight that does not delight me at all. I can hardly choke it down and wince whenever she suggests cooking it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings