Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many leave your house while the Egg is lit?

Options
how many of you will do do a cook (Lets say more than a few hours) and leave your house unattended.

How many of you have remote access to watch the cook or a controller with ramp down features - does it really work?

Would you leave you Egg lit while not home if its on a wooden deck and less than 10 ft from the house?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    That is one of the very reasons I went to all Turbo. Well that and the fact I have the attention span of a nat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Mickey said:
    That is one of the very reasons I went to all Turbo
    I want to try turbo but I dont even have 3 hours for a cook let alone an over nighter.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Mine is on a wood deck, I have left to run to Home Depot or the grocery store for short times. Not sure I would light it and go to work. But I might as well for all the times Ive done over night cooks and gone to LA LA Land!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Mickey said:
    That is one of the very reasons I went to all Turbo
    I want to try turbo but I dont even have 3 hours for a cook let alone an over nighter.

Ribs less than two hours
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    I have left for hours but it took me a few years to do so.It is no different than doing a overnighter and going to bed .I have done enough cooks now that I know that nothing will happen.It is on a wooden deck less than 10 feet from the house too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    typically most saterdays april thru october my egg is lit and unattended from 4am til noon or a little longer while im off fishing and sometimes mid week i light it at noon and toss some ribs in and head back to work. i dont use a fan device and my egg sits OFF the deck. years ago i had an egg crack on the deck and start a fire while i slept inside on a low and slow so for now its only a mini and quick cooks on the deck.  i tend not to do overnight cooks now but still light the egg friday night and let it burn til 4 in the morning when i then put the butt on, saves the hassle of lighting the egg in the dark at 4 in the morning and gets me on the water earlier
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm trying to picture the look on SWMBO's face if I ever managed to burn the house down by leaving with the Egg fired. It's not pretty.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options

To leave a lit EGG or any lit grill for that matter on a wooden deck and not be home or sleeping is just asking for trouble.

Cherry Hill, NJ
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have left the egg lit with a auber stoker going without a remote thermometer. I have only left when I knew I had a few hours, and even with a remote thermometer I think that's how I'd do it. My egg is under a trellis that has a concrete floor - I'm not sure I'd leave it unattended on a deck.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    My egg is in a wooden table sitting on concrete and gravel about 20 feet from the house. I have left home and left it unattended for a few hours numerous times. I have no controller or monitoring device.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    years ago i had an egg crack on the deck and start a fire while i slept inside on a low and slow so for now its only a mini and quick cooks on the deck. 

And that's something that could happen to any of us, at any time... 
    :-S

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    years ago i had an egg crack on the deck and start a fire while i slept inside on a low and slow so for now its only a mini and quick cooks on the deck.  

Has this happened to anyone else?  I think about that from time to time when I fire up my Egg.  Even when I'm home, not doing a low and slow I don't think I would be able to put out a blaze caused by a fully loaded Egg dumping its lump on my attached deck.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I do it all the time. My egg is in a nest facing gravel about 20 feet from my sunroom. It does back up against the garage. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm on concrete, next to brick, slate and ipe table. I feel safe but who knows. I'd be scared to leave it on wood. Centex and Little Steven...I think it was LS had fires.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Careful, boys and girls...

This is the reason for the mini nest redesign.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited January 2014
    Options
    wbradking said:

bge came out with the screen for the lower vent after natureboy lost his house. have seen several picks of burnt tables over the years. from what i remember nature boy was cooking in the driveway and an ember may have been blown into the garage.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I have my eggs on a wooden deck attached to our house. I have done low and slow overnight cooks. This post gets me thinking about the possibility of a fire. I believe it was NOLA that should a picture of what happened to him. I could put the eggs down off the patio, but now it would be a long walk to get to them, hence they are on the patio. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I leave my egg lit and burning all the time however my Eggs are on a brick patio and I have BBQ Guru DX2 to control the fire and haven't had a problem I look at it like if I'm doing a low & slow overnight cook whats the difference if I get in the truck and go to the store or a friends house while the Egg does it's thing
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have my eggs on a wooden deck attached to our house. I have done low and slow overnight cooks. This post gets me thinking about the possibility of a fire. I believe it was NOLA that should a picture of what happened to him. I could put the eggs down off the patio, but now it would be a long walk to get to them, hence they are on the patio. 
    That was me buddy. I can't post pics anymore but would if I could. Nature Boy had a disastrous fire as well. Mine was not caused directly by the egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokesniffer
    Options
    Morning LS. Enjoy the day Sir. That would have been nasty. I guess I kind of think "that won't happen to me" Not sure if that is wise or not.  
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Why can't u post??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Little Steven
    Options
    That is why my house is concrete board with stucco and my deck is patterned concrete. No fun at all.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Why can't u post??

No idea. I can't edit comments post pics or links. Same on three computers. Maybe my foul mouth has caught up with me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I  think its because you are in Caledon and the internet is new up there . They are just working out the kinks
    :>
    Toronto
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Now you got me thinking about having the Egg lit at all on my deck.  This is my biggest fear of using it.  Even with the few low and slow overnights I have slept with one eye open or not at all.

I used to have it downstairs in the yard but near the deck and did not sleep well on an overnighter either.  I now have a paver stone patio downstairs but its far from the kitchen meaning I wont use it.  I also bought that nice table for it and that wont fit nicely anywhere on the stone patio.  Plus cooking downstairs then carrying all the food back upstairs or up and down the stairs checking on food will be a PITA.

Garnerville, NY
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I think it is height discrimination. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    I  think its because you are in Caledon and the internet is new up there . They are just working out the kinks
    :>
    I'm I Brampton right now and we've had it here for at least three years.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    My egg sits in a wooden table, on a wooden deck, less than 10 feet from our log cabin.  Additionally, this deck sits about 15 feet over the woodpile for our wood stove.  I'll do turbo whenever possible, but will do overnighters when necessary.  I won't leave the house, but I could be on the other side of my property doing whatever and usually don't give it much thought.  We do have fire extinguishers handy and a fire matt in front of the lower vent.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Do it all the time, lucky my neighbor also owns an egg and if I'm gone for a while he will go check on it vice versa.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited January 2014
    Options
    That was me buddy. I can't post pics anymore but would if I could. Nature Boy had a disastrous fire as well. Mine was not caused directly by the egg.
    perhaps @smokesniffer was thinking of Centex's post below?

want me to pay you a visit? no guarantee I can fix it though!
    canuckland