Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

May have messed up my butts

I had 2 9lb butts I started last night at 10pm in my XL at 240.  over the night it walked up to about 300 and it was done when I woke up at 9am. 

I feel like it's ruined. I'm having all my fiance and my family over for dinner  in 9 hours... and now I'm sitting here with 2 butts that were 210 and 215 degrees and now ftc in a cooler with towels... 

First of all, is it ruined at 210-215 degrees?

2nd of all, how do I keep it that long to eat tonight?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    No. It should not be ruined at that temp. Pork can tolerate "overcooking" much more than other long-cook meats. 

Did you taste test?
  • You're going to have to put it in the refrigerator at some point. You can't keep it that long in the cooler, unless you want everyone to get sick tonight. I don't think it's ruined by any stretch by the way - someone here will pipe in with a good suggestion as to what to do. My guess would be throwing it in the fridge, heating it up later and then pulling it, but I've never had to do this.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    They're ok.......a lot of eggers cook them to 205-210 degrees internal. I would refrigerate them after they cool some and reheat, double wrapped in foil, in an oven at about 170 degrees for a couple of hours.
  • glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    You're fine. Just keep them double wrapped (foil, then towels) in a cooler. You can reheat the pulled meat when ready.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

I think there are 3 answers to that question:

1) As long as it stays above 140 the whole time you are safe (don't necessarily take my word on this - hopefully others will chime in, or you can try to look it up)

2) Refrigerate now and re-warm for 1.5 to 2 hours then pull at dinner time.

3) Pull now and refrigerate, then rewarm to serve. 

Any of these should give great results.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I thought 4 hrs was about the longest you could keep one of these things FTCd before bacteria becomes a real concern. That probably corresponds roughly with the temps dropping to below 140.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Step 1: Pull now, bag, and refrigerate.  Step 2: Reheat the meat by putting the bags in near boiling water, it will evenly reheat without drying out.  Step 3: When you put the meat into a serving dish pour a mixture of melted butter and whatever rub you used of over the pulled meat and toss it a little to get everything LIGHTLY coated. It'll taste fresh off the egg. 
    Pentwater, MI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I thought 4 hrs was about the longest you could keep one of these things FTCd before bacteria becomes a real concern. That probably corresponds roughly with the temps dropping to below 140.
    Four hours is the general consensus. Depending on the insulation of the cooler and the packing around the meat, many have gone longer. Personally, I have gone 6.5 hours in a soft-sided cooler and the temp was 143. Some have mentioned going 8 hours.
  • also, I almost always take mine up to 210 atleast
    Pentwater, MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @ShadowNick has a good plan but depending on the cooler and the towels and foil setup you can go much longer than four hours, especially with the initial start temp you have.  Do I think you can get nine hours-nope so time for plan B.  And it will taste great-enjoy the end result.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • after you take it out of the cooler if it's not hot enough you can pull it and put it in a big pot and put BBQ sauce in and heat it up with the sauce in the pot that always works 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Cool, Thanks for all the great advice! I feel much better. Pulling it now will let me taste test too, so I can plan for option C (cook the 2 pork tenderloins in the fridge instead)

Love having this resource!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Went ahead and pulled it. It's definitely far from ruined. Tastes fantastic. Added a little apple juice and bagged it up. Thanks everyone
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I usually use a vinegar based sauce which is simmered, then poured over the pulled meat.  If that finish is to your liking, doing that just before serving will also help it taste "fresh".  Enjoy!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Normally, if I haven't captured any of the drippings, I will boil the bone in a little water, salt, pepper, etc. to make a smokey broth and pour over the pulled pork for reheating.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.