Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'd like critiques on this brisket method

bigearl
bigearl Posts: 25
Do we this once and it was perfect texture and bark- wise. Just wasn't the most flavorful.

16 lb brisket
Trim fat to about 1/4"
Marinate overnight in 2 cups of salt and a 2 liter of coke

When you're ready- rinse all marinade off and dry the brisket with a towel.

Massage in your chosen dry rub

Cook at 225 for 45 minutes per pound

Bast every hour or so with Pig Stand bast
huh?

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    There probably isn't any need to baste it every hour.  The egg does a great job keeping food moist.  Remember, if you are looking, you aren't cooking!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• What about reserving the juices? I've never done that before but would like to. Usually I put a pan of water underneath- it's usually disgusting by the end- not sure it would be salvageable... Too smokey maybe?

I'm thinking about maybe just putting an empty pan underneath to catch the drippings? Thoughts?
    huh?
  • I have a brisket on now with a water pan on the pace setter. I put half beef stock half water with some onions and garlic in there. I usually don't use water pans but trying this out to see if I can get a better smoke ring. I never save the drippings. Sometimes for comps I will foil wrap my briskest with sauce in the foil like ribs to increase the flavor in my bark. I just do it for like the last hour of cooking.
  • I'm pretty sure you'll need more than 45 min per pound at 225. Think more like an hour to 75 min.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    I'm pretty sure you'll need more than 45 min per pound at 225. Think more like an hour to 75 min.
    Agree with this. Count on at least an hour/lb. And always cook to temp (~200 degrees), not time.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @JohnInCarolina is right.  Each brisket is different but to get under an hour per pound you usually need to be at 275 degrees or so.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 190 d's internal then foil & wrap.