Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Sale

This is probably not what you expect to see on the Egg Forum, but I am asking for help from all you Eggers out there.

My best friend, husband and Egger recently passed away. I have a large Green Egg in my backyard and need to sell.

Accessories I know about, PSW002, spider, pizza stone, place setter, various racks and pans.

Was advised I could get $500 - can anyone help me out.

Live in Irving, TX

Comments

• So sorry to here about your loss!

How old is the egg?

$500 sounds a little low to me depending on whether the egg sits in a table or nest.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    My sincere condolences. There is truly nothing worse than the death of a loved one. As for the egg, if you can take pictures and upload them here it would be of great help in determining an appropriate asking price. Maybe if there's anyone on here that's local to you that can lend a hand in selling it??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • man I hate to hear this. I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with our friend to the North that you may be able to get a little more (maybe $600 pr even a little more) if you want to deal with Craig's list people and strangers. I think you could sell it quickly to someone on here at that price if you prefer to not to deal with that stuff. If you prefer to maximize the cash, I would put it on Craig's list at $700 and see what that does.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jeremiah said:
    My sincere condolences. There is truly nothing worse than the death of a loved one. As for the egg, if you can take pictures and upload them here it would be of great help in determining an appropriate asking price. Maybe if there's anyone on here that's local to you that can lend a hand in selling it??

I'm actually in Irving today and tomorrow- I will be glad to help with anything you need. I can take pics and come give you an honest estimate of what it's worth. If it's in any kind of shape, $500 is a very fair price for it.
  • I am very sorry for your loss.  

I believe $500 is very low. Especially with all those accessories.  I would start asling $750 for everything and take $700.   I assume it comes on legs. 
  • I think you can get new egg from an eggfest with full warranty, nest and platesetter for $750ish. many people outside of here won't know that so I think she can get more on CL but $750 might be high
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2013
    This is from Dyal_SC from eggtoberfest: Dyal_SC Posts: 1,297 October 13............................................. Demo eggs with nest, ash tool, grate lifter, starter cubes and plate setter were $750 total. That included tax.
  • My deepest condolences. I'd log into your local craigslist and see what others are asking for their Eggs. You should get around that or a little more with your accessories. Be safe when you sell - have a friend with you. Again, so sorry for your loss.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    So sorry... As mask said, be careful. If you show it at your house try not to let folks see everything you have. Again, condolences.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I very much agree with Henapple and MM. I would never let somebody come to my home from Craig's List or a classified ad. You might get $100 more for it from someone who is not aware of the value of the warranty but that's not worth it. I think $500 is fair for the egg, nest and accessories and then someone may find some value in the pots pans etc. There may be some valuable cast iron or something in there that could get you another $100. I would hope someone on here would give you what you felt was fair for it and not expose you to the genral public coming to your home. I'm not a used egg guy but there has to be someone in the metroplex that could safely get you what you need for it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

My condolences and prayers to you and your family. 

I am in line with the above TX posters as I would hope someone from this forum or related to the BGE "cult" would make contact and proceed.  Heed the above suggestions about the public because as much as we would like to think everyone is on the "up-and-up", sadly that is far from reality. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Craigslist killers is all I think about when I hear of selling stuff there.
    XL BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited November 2013
    Seanr7 said:

I buy and sell stuff there all the time but I always meet people out in a busy parking lot like Home Depot or lowes and usually have someone with me. hard to do with a 200 lb large egg.
  • I am sorry to hear about your loss. If you are truly looking to sell the egg I would be interested in buying it from you and I live in the metroplex.
  • Seanr7 said:

I buy and sell stuff there all the time but I always meet people out in a busy parking lot like Home Depot or lowes and usually have someone with me. hard to do with a 200 lb large egg.
    I sold my large off CL and was very nervous about having somebody at the house.  Was packing heat when they were here.
    Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited November 2013
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. If you are truly looking to sell the egg I would be interested in buying it from you and I live in the metroplex.

I think this would be great. i spoke to her yesterday and got a little more info- the egg was bought new 2-3 years ago at an eggfest in Dallas. It appears to be in very good shape with no known defects. She would like $500 for the egg and a fair offer for any of the accessories like the racks and pans. She prefers it be a take all deal as she does not want to piece out the other things. I think if you made her a fair offer on those you would have a nice set up and be helping a very nice person out. I have a home for it in Austin and told her I would haul it for her but I prefer someone up there take it if possible. I have her phone number if you are interested in talking to her.
  • I am sorry to hear about your loss. If you are truly looking to sell the egg I would be interested in buying it from you and I live in the metroplex.

I think this would be great. i spoke to her yesterday and got a little more info- the egg was bought new 2-3 years ago at an eggfest in Dallas. It appears to be in very good shape with no known defects. She would like $500 for the egg and a fair offer for any of the accessories like the racks and pans. She prefers it be a take all deal as she does not want to piece out the other things. I think if you made her a fair offer on those you would have a nice set up and be helping a very nice person out. I have a home for it in Austin and told her I would haul it for her but I prefer someone up there take it if possible. I have her phone number if you are interested in talking to her.
    Happy to hear that you guys are able to help out!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited November 2013
    I went a looked at this egg a couple of weeks ago and posted a question about a fair price. I am pretty sure the egg is a medium not a large
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • Proser said:
    I went a looked at this egg a couple of weeks ago and posted a question about a fair price. I am pretty sure the egg is a medium not a large

Proser said:

That is an important detail! Might need to gather more info. If she does indeed have a spider and PSwoo2, I don't think Tom makes those for a medium so that may indicate that this one is a large?
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    She does have a spider and Woo. When she called me she said it was a medium and maybe my mind didn't want to see anything else
  • Proser said:
    She does have a spider and Woo. When she called me she said it was a medium and maybe my mind didn't want to see anything else

there is a medium woo, just not a PSwoo2 (that i am aware of and i'm not the expert here). I went to Tom's website and there is no med spider offered either. I'll ask Tom just to confirm
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention sorry for the confusion. The egg is in good shape and has a lot of accessories so 500 for a large with the extras would be a great deal
  • Depending on what the gentleman did or skills he had, it wouldn't be hard to make a spider out of some stainless round bar.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • I just spoke to her again and she is not sure if it's a med or a large. I have her # is anyone wants to talk to her but I think you are going to to have to go put your eyes on it to determine what it really is. If Proser has seen it and thinks it's a med, it very well may be. I'll be back up wed and can take picks and post them here if nobody can get there before that. She is a very nice person and just trying to deal with all the unpleasantries of losing a loved one. I'll help wherever I can but if any of you DFW guys are interested or can help,that would be good too.
  • OK- she's sending me pics of everything when she gets home from work tonight.I'll post them here when I get them
  • Way to go guys =D>

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If possible,  could the seller measure the diameter of the grid or the base (at the gasket level)? It would easily settle the matter of whether it is a large or medium, and help her with her sale.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

OK- she's sending me pics of everything when she gets home from work tonight.I'll post them here when I get them

You're a stand up guy. Nice work.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty said:
    OK- she's sending me pics of everything when she gets home from work tonight.I'll post them here when I get them
    He does fall down sometimes. Decent of you C-T

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hi54putty said:

He does fall down sometimes. Decent of you C-T

I fall down more than not but I have moments (although they are generally very brief) of clarity.