Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best natural wood lump charcoal?

Options
Looking for advice...

First charcoal I got was the official BGE stuff, it was larger lumps, left a fine ash.

Then I went to my local and their stuff was more like chippings rather than lumps, I don't like it, tried a low n slow and twice I came out and the chipping small pieces choked the fire if u ask me.

Any recommendations?
Tiocfaidh!
Support 26+6=1 United Ireland

Comments

• wolfetone
    Options
    I got cowboy lump today to tie me over but what's a nice smokey general lump charcoal???
    Tiocfaidh!
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I like Royal Oak they make the BGE lump so it's the same as BGE at 1/2 the price
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    wolfetone said:
    Looking for advice... First charcoal I got was the official BGE stuff, it was larger lumps, left a fine ash. Then I went to my local and their stuff was more like chippings rather than lumps, I don't like it, tried a low n slow and twice I came out and the chipping small pieces choked the fire if u ask me. Any recommendations?
    Far and away...Maple Leaf but you can't have none.
    ;;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• wolfetone
    Options
    LOL I am sure we got some good American stuff here my man ;)
    Tiocfaidh!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Where are you at? I've heard St. Louis Charcoal is very good. Ozark Oak is good too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    +1 for Rockwood (St Louis Charcoal)  http://rockwoodcharcoal.com... Big chunks, burns well.  Good ash production, relights well.
    +1 for BGE Charcoal...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Ozark Oak is far and away the best lump I've used.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I have to admit that Coyboy lump and Greenwise are the only ones I didn't like thus far.  
    +1 for the Ozark Oak as well.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Do those......Ozark Oak and Rockwood Lump add a flavor or are they pretty neutral?

I am in MA. The problem is the shipping, I would need to order $100 to avail of free shipping. Is there any other options out there? 

The petfood store offers free shipping over $45 and those bags are much heavier at 35 lbs each
    Tiocfaidh!
  • Little Steven
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Shoot up to the canuck border and get you some maple leaf or Basques Nature's Own. Both products of Quebec

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    Rockwood first bag is about gone very nice stuff
  • windsurfer
    windsurfer Posts: 63
    edited October 2013
    Options
    wolfetone said:
    Do those......Ozark Oak and Rockwood Lump add a flavor or are they pretty neutral?

I am in MA. The problem is the shipping, I would need to order $100 to avail of free shipping. Is there any other options out there? 

The petfood store offers free shipping over $45 and those bags are much heavier at 35 lbs each

Hi wofetone! where do you live in MA i will put in order with you if you are close to me i am in 
    Westwood MA
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Hi, I'm in Cambridge! I guess the other thing is I could just buy 2 months of charcoal at a time. I generally go through 2-3 bags a month!
    Tiocfaidh!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    No experience with rock wood. I have to go with Wicked Good as my favorite so far...

Asking a favorite lump on here is sometimes like asking which of your children you love more LOL
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Some people probably could answer that LOL

All I know is my current local BBQ store sells lump that sucks, it's tiny little chippings and low and slow cooks is driving me nuts!
    hapster said:

No experience with rock wood. I have to go with Wicked Good as my favorite so far...

Asking a favorite lump on here is sometimes like asking which of your children you love more LOL

Tiocfaidh!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Asking this group which lump is best is like asking.... (fill I'm the blank)______
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have to go with the diminutive Canuck. Maple Leaf is my favorite lump. It burns long and clean. Its also ready for food when you reach temp. It has minimal VOCs. I don't have anything, but good things to say about it other than its not available in the States. Little Steven pointed that out recently along with Cuban cigars. Smart a$$.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Options

Heh heh heh

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The other thing is don't judge a brand by one bag, Have had some RO that was excellent, others were terrible. 
    Are you in Cambridge Mass? That's Wicked Good country. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    hapster said:
    No experience with rock wood. I have to go with Wicked Good as my favorite so far... Asking a favorite lump on here is sometimes like asking which of your children you love more LOL

@hapster.......Take a drive over to FireCraft.  I just shipped them four pallets of Rockwood.
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    ROCKWOOD! you will not regret it.... if you don't appreciate it, try any other brand and you will quickly realize the difference. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited October 2013
    Options

I saw this thread and was going to pass-but the reason for the post is to inquire if WGWW has fixed their quality problem.  I would appreciate any objective inputs.  I have moved on but am wondering if they have reacted to a serious business issue.  BTW-if you can get Rockwood, give it a go!

And I am envious of all of you up north that use Maple Leaf-the denial fuels the desire

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    hapster said:
    No experience with rock wood. I have to go with Wicked Good as my favorite so far... Asking a favorite lump on here is sometimes like asking which of your children you love more LOL

@hapster.......Take a drive over to FireCraft.  I just shipped them four pallets of Rockwood.
    @stlcharcoal...I may have to take a ride down there now.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Let me know how it goes!  I'm thinking about making a trip up there to visit FireCraft and go to the American Helicopter Museum.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up... I will try to stop by there this week and grab a few bags
  • wolfetone
    Options
    So now that we've figured out the favorite lump ....on to the easier question...who's your favorite child lol
    Tiocfaidh!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I saw this thread and was going to pass-but the reason for the post is to inquire if WGWW has fixed their quality problem.  I would appreciate any objective inputs.  I have moved on but am wondering if they have reacted to a serious business issue.  BTW-if you can get Rockwood, give it a go!

And I am envious of all of you up north that use Maple Leaf-the denial fuels the desire

:)>-
    @lousubcap, I 've only had one bag of WGWW and I thought it was great stuff. I just found it locally at a different BGE dealer than I usually go to. He threw a free bag in when I bought a demo egg. This was after all the posts on here about poor quality and since he offered it to me for free, I couldn't pass. 

I will buy some more. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Was it in the tan bag or the white bag with blue print?  Tan bag was great for me, white and blue not so much.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Was it in the tan bag or the white bag with blue print?  Tan bag was great for me, white and blue not so much.
    The bag I had was tan.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!