Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New handle - ugly as sin!!

2»

Comments

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    I'd rather have a weathered wooden handle than a Kmart looking "fugly" plastic one.

Plus, I'd think you could stain/weatherproof the handle.  Or, if it's under a cover, it wouldn't / shouldn't get that bad.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    edited October 2013
    BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the Primo handle is a nice painted metal or porcelain/ceramic/something.  BIG advantage to Primo on that. 

If the Primo had a screen on the draft door, I'd buy it in a second.  And I already own a BGE mini.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Glad I got my egg before they went to the cheapo plastic handle!  I put a few coats of spar varnish on the handle right after I got the egg and the handle looks like new after 6 months.  Even if I have to refinish the handle every year, I'd rather do that than have a nice plastic handle on my egg.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I just wipe mine down..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    The kamado Joe has ss bands.
    The stand alone model does.  If you buy the model with the cart, the bands are black powder coated galvanized steel, IIRC. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited October 2013
    @The_Naked_Whiz, Do the SS bands fit the BGE? If I remember, they are slightly bigger because the KJ bulges around the dome and base edges. I wondered about replacing porcelain coated BGE bands if ever needed, though I would think BGE would change them by the time I ever needed them to maintain market share since competition is offering it.

Nevermind. @henapple, I just checked the KJ site and they no longer have a SS hinge with the exception of the ProJoe. All others have "Powder-Coated Galvanized Iron".

• I did not like the look of the old wooden handles either.  Looked really bad after a year of grease, smoke and weather.  I give Danny's custom handles a big thumbs up.   I sent him a jpeg image of a main image for the carving, along with a description of what I envisioned.  He sent me back a proposed design that captured the idea quite well.  The time from my initial email to Danny to the day the handle arrived in the mail was about 2 weeks.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    SmokyBear said:
    I thought pretty long and hard about that Vision grill - it's a nice piece of gear and a LOT better price than a BGE.  Just not sure about the potential for air leakage with the electric starter port and ash drawer (both of which I thought were awesome ideas).

I also would really like to see one in the wild and this time of year that's virtually impossible.  Where I live (MI) they replaced the grill section with the snowblower section.. :)
    I frequent an outdoor enthusiast website and there is big thread on smoking. A couple of guys cheaped out with the Vision grill and have posted pics of having to duct tape air gaps and around the 2 spots you mentioned. Nothing looks cheaper than a $600 grill all duct taped up.
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142

:D
    atleast once a year for the last ten years i have a post asking them to make a nice beer opener, i mean they have a plant in mexico that could outsource that for cheap and make me happy....i mean to say everyone happy
    That might encourage eggin under the influence.
    Brampton, Ontario

• SmokyBear
    hondabbq said:
    SmokyBear said:
    I thought pretty long and hard about that Vision grill - it's a nice piece of gear and a LOT better price than a BGE.  Just not sure about the potential for air leakage with the electric starter port and ash drawer (both of which I thought were awesome ideas).

I also would really like to see one in the wild and this time of year that's virtually impossible.  Where I live (MI) they replaced the grill section with the snowblower section.. :)
    I frequent an outdoor enthusiast website and there is big thread on smoking. A couple of guys cheaped out with the Vision grill and have posted pics of having to duct tape air gaps and around the 2 spots you mentioned. Nothing looks cheaper than a $600 grill all duct taped up.
    Yeah..at one point they did leak air.  I believe that was fixed in the 2013 model ("Pro C" if I remember right..)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    hondabbq said:
    SmokyBear said:

i would need to have that model to make a judgement on it, every ceramic grill out there has people new to the grill with problems holding temps at low temps and temp control in general. my large hasnt had a gasket in close to a decade and the silicone seal on the lower vent is long gone, it leaks like a sieve but somehow im still cooking on it. i dont really see a need for the electric start but the ash drawer looks awfully convenient. domes fall off eggs, they dont on a vision grill, that problem was addressed 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    @The_Naked_Whiz, Do the SS bands fit the BGE? If I remember, they are slightly bigger because the KJ bulges around the dome and base edges. I wondered about replacing porcelain coated BGE bands if ever needed, though I would think BGE would change them by the time I ever needed them to maintain market share since competition is offering it.

Nevermind. @henapple, I just checked the KJ site and they no longer have a SS hinge with the exception of the ProJoe. All others have "Powder-Coated Galvanized Iron".

The web site has not been updated KJ offers the KJ23NBS , KJ23NRS, Classic Joe Stand alone in Red or Black and the BJ24NBS, BJ24NRS Big Joe Stand Alone in Red or Black.
    Pensacola,FL
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Not to worry, there will soon be a wooden handle offered as an Eggcessory.  Tongue so far in cheek I look like Dizzy Gillespie.  I couldn't stand to watch him play, it made my cheeks hurt, but loved the music.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80

At least they could have put a cup holding in the plastic shelf being we're trying to look like a little cheaper made egg.

They could offer a hole on each side (you and a friend). Now, do you size that for a little red cup?

I can't wait to see what they'll do next.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    SmokyBear said:

The Visions in Canada are all the leaky starter port kind. Both the M and C series

Costco USA offers the Classic (much like a LBGE) and P series (like a BGE mini)
    I would have no issues buying a Visions Classic. At $219 delivered in the lower 48, the P series is one heck-of-a good buy.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman

SmokyBear said:

The Visions in Canada are all the leaky starter port kind. Both the M and C series

Costco USA offers the Classic (much like a LBGE) and P series (like a BGE mini)
    I would have no issues buying a Visions Classic. At $219 delivered in the lower 48, the P series is one heck-of-a good buy.
    649 with all those extras for the large size delivered.......i bet when they get their name out there the price goes up, but until then
    fukahwee maine

• @The_Naked_Whiz, Do the SS bands fit the BGE? If I remember, they are slightly bigger because the KJ bulges around the dome and base edges. I wondered about replacing porcelain coated BGE bands if ever needed, though I would think BGE would change them by the time I ever needed them to maintain market share since competition is offering it.

Again, Kamado Joe sells a stand alone version of it's kamado's that have stainless bands.

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    edited October 2013
    theres over 1300 views since last night, i think that should tell something to bge, most dont like the plastic, if they wanted to upgrade the handle, an led light pointing down on the food from the handle would be nice, i could live with that and a plastic handle but would still want the wood
    fukahwee maine

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I think my wood handle fell off after a year, didn't look that good anyway. Now its been a couple years, I'm not even sure where it is anymore. I didn't buy the BGE because of a handle.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Eggcelsior

Again, Kamado Joe sells a stand alone version of it's kamado's that have stainless bands.

Perhaps they should update their website. That kind of ineptness does not breed confidence.
  • SmokyBear
    ads75 said:
    I think my wood handle fell off after a year, didn't look that good anyway. Now its been a couple years, I'm not even sure where it is anymore. I didn't buy the BGE because of a handle.
    Fair point.  But it's like buying a BMW (with the BMW price) that has a tacky, "cheap" looking plastic interior.  THAT is the point.

The handle obviously doesn't impact the performance of the gear.  BUT it also makes your $1,000 investment that sits out on your deck look like it came from Kmart.  Not good.  Call me "fussy", but if I shell out a grand PLUS on a "premium" product, I want it to LOOK. PREMIUM.

I know..fussy.  But "it is what it is", and the Mothership would do well to pay attention to it's prospective (and current) customers and start providing what they WANT, vs what "corporate" (beancounters) think that they can get away with.

I'm 99% of the way to buying a Primo Large at this point.  It's more $$s, but at least will match or exceed the BGE performance in every way (and then some, including split grid for direct/indirect at the same time, etc) AND LOOKS like the price I will pay for it.

I love my Mini, but BGE has lost it in terms of understanding it's customer base.  If they don't get their act together (given the arrogance I've seen so far from them, not expecting that), they are going to get slaughtered by the upstarts (Kamodo Joe, Vision, Primo, Grill Dome, etc).

Game is over for BGE.  They need to get their act together and start turning out the premium product people expect for the premium dollars they are demanding.

</end rant>
  • Eggcelsior
    Sounds like the Komodo Kamado is the only one on the market that'll make you happy ;)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mangrate, Mangrates, Mangrates, Mangrates
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Surprised at BGE putting plastic on handle as well, but sort of like composite decking it will likely last a long time in various elements. Living near the gulf coast wood has a tough life here, I have never seen pressure treated structures age so quickly except at the beach. Our neighborhood wood fence is getting aged and rotting after about 8 years.

I did get a Vision Classic from Costco and so far really like it, stainless all over and it come with stand and cover, wood side tables and handle, two tier rack and flip up rack section for refueling. The customer service is good. I had only the thermometer fog up but they are sending another one.They also monitor a Kamado cooking forum, FYI. 
    Vision Classic 9/2013 - Newbie   Pearland TX (Got Humidity?)
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    My 3 yo wood handle still looks and feels nearly new  in spite of regular usage and exposure to rain, sun, snow, whatever. When this one dies I'll make my own from a piece of local cedar.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • fishlessman
    SmokyBear said:
    ads75 said:
    Fair point.  But it's like buying a BMW (with the BMW price) that has a tacky, "cheap" looking plastic interior.  THAT is the point.

The handle obviously doesn't impact the performance of the gear.  BUT it also makes your $1,000 investment that sits out on your deck look like it came from Kmart.  Not good.  Call me "fussy", but if I shell out a grand PLUS on a "premium" product, I want it to LOOK. PREMIUM.

I know..fussy.  But "it is what it is", and the Mothership would do well to pay attention to it's prospective (and current) customers and start providing what they WANT, vs what "corporate" (beancounters) think that they can get away with.

I'm 99% of the way to buying a Primo Large at this point.  It's more $$s, but at least will match or exceed the BGE performance in every way (and then some, including split grid for direct/indirect at the same time, etc) AND LOOKS like the price I will pay for it.

I love my Mini, but BGE has lost it in terms of understanding it's customer base.  If they don't get their act together (given the arrogance I've seen so far from them, not expecting that), they are going to get slaughtered by the upstarts (Kamodo Joe, Vision, Primo, Grill Dome, etc).

Game is over for BGE.  They need to get their act together and start turning out the premium product people expect for the premium dollars they are demanding.

</end rant>
    that split firebox is overated and im not sure if they fixed the problem but i remember alot of the ovals cracked, round is a bettter design. they are a good company though, just make sure theres a few dealers around you
    fukahwee maine

• SmokyBear

that split firebox is overated and im not sure if they fixed the problem but i remember alot of the ovals cracked, round is a bettter design. they are a good company though, just make sure theres a few dealers around you
    Why do you think the split firebox is overrated?  That seems to be a "huge" benefit as you could sear a steak then move it to the indirect side easily (no taking apart a hot grill to put the BGE placesetter on), or cook a chicken indirect then crisp it up on the direct side, etc.  Or cook some things direct and some indirect at the same time..to me that's the #1 advantage of Primo over BGE and if I DID buy a large BGE would buy the AshDragon firebox splitter to have the same capability..just not sure how well that'd work as I can't find many reviews on it.

I have read about the firebox cracking on the Primos..that's not good.  Guess it's luck of the draw and hopefully good customer service.  I DO have a really good BGE dealer about half an hour away that also carries the Primo and is a pretty big BBQ specialty retailer..they've been around forever and are pretty decent size, so hoping I'd be covered either way I go (BGE or Primo).
  • fishlessman
    SmokyBear said:

Why do you think the split firebox is overrated?  That seems to be a "huge" benefit as you could sear a steak then move it to the indirect side easily (no taking apart a hot grill to put the BGE placesetter on), or cook a chicken indirect then crisp it up on the direct side, etc.  Or cook some things direct and some indirect at the same time..to me that's the #1 advantage of Primo over BGE and if I DID buy a large BGE would buy the AshDragon firebox splitter to have the same capability..just not sure how well that'd work as I can't find many reviews on it.

I have read about the firebox cracking on the Primos..that's not good.  Guess it's luck of the draw and hopefully good customer service.  I DO have a really good BGE dealer about half an hour away that also carries the Primo and is a pretty big BBQ specialty retailer..they've been around forever and are pretty decent size, so hoping I'd be covered either way I go (BGE or Primo).
    with the divider its more like cooking over the hot spot in the back of an egg than cooking over an indirect setup like a stone or pan and being able to rotate a round grill full of wings is easier and alot quicker than moving everything left right right left with tongs. im not talking the firebox, im talking the outer shell cracking, it happens with round cookers too but i remember there were seveal ovals that cracked before i ever heard of an egg crack.  the oval has its pluses and minuses, so does an egg, a vision, a kamado etc, not ones perfect, you can pick apart each one and for my full size egg its hard to beat the ease of warranty replacement in my area. i dont use a platesetter, i use a two tired setup and if i want to switch ti inderect its as simple as slipping a couple fire bricks under the steak or whatever on the lower grid. if i had a platesetter it would only be used for bread cooking as i see no othe real purpose for it, with the bread making the temps would hold better with all that heat mass for that type of cook.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    i think whats most important picking one out comes down to a couple things, what accessories can you buy that will fit, lots on places selling egg specific parts now, and your warranty replacement, its big clay pot, your going to break your big clay cooking pot
    :)) stainless and wood is nice but not a deal breaker, as for cooking take anyone thats good with a primo or egg and switch cookers and see if they can still cook just as well. one thought with that though, round wok on a big wide oval, that just dont sound right
    fukahwee maine