Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat slicer requirements

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
I've been thinking of getting a slicer. It probably won't get used that much but I don't want to waste $100 on a pos that won't cut. What three things are most important to you on a slicer?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Cost , easy clean up and size for easy storage. I have the Chef Choice 610 and Griffin has the 615.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • henapple
    @GrannyX4... I found a 610 on cl, used once for $75.. Does it cut thin slices?
  • GrannyX4
    Yes, I have used it for pastrami, ham, turkey, pork roasts, Canadian bacon, bacon and roast beef. It's light enough for me to lift and that is a biggy for me along with easy cleaning. If a piece of meat is too big for the cutting blade I just cut the meat smaller. Griffin's is a 615 and has a slightly bigger motor. ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    edited October 2013
    I paid $99 for mine on Amazon.
  • I have the 610 and love it. I slice eye round like 1/8 thick or less. One of my favorite cooks is to grill it to medium rare and put it right into fridge, Slice it paper thin the next day while cold. Make a little au jus with pan juices and some beef broth.  Slap it on a roll with some horseradish mayo, french dip!

A bottom round roast sliced on my el cheapo Chefs choice 610.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Have a very old one, similar to the now 632. 
    use it more for cheeze and dry Italian sausage then egg cooked meats. Very handy.
    Like@GrannyX4 says, ease of cleaning is most important. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have a 615.  Takes me less than 2 minutes to break down for cleaning.  Its obviously not deli quality, you cannot quite get paper-thin, but for the money and ease of cleaning, its a fantastic machine.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@Grannyx4 nailed it for me. Cost, cleanup and easy to move and store. I didn't want to break the bank, not knowing how much I might use it. This is some pit beef we did. Not even the thinnest setting used.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Another thought is at least a 7" blade and look for both a serrated and none serrated blade. Typically the Chef's Choice blades are available for $30 to $50 depending on the source. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have the same as Griff's with both blades, it works great, I have done Turkey breast, Italian beef and bacon. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee said:
    I have the same as Griff's with both blades, it works great, I have done Turkey breast, Italian beef and bacon. 
    I just have the serrated blade, what is the advantage of the non-serrated.  Is it worth getting?
    Pentwater, MI
  • I've got the 615 with both blades.  Works well andcleans easily enough.  I feel the non-serrated lets you cut the meats a little thinner than the serrated blade.  I also got the sharpening kit to keep the blades good and sharp.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapple
    Picking up the 615 for $75... I love craigslist.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    cleaning is the biggie, if it doesnt clean quickly you wont just slice up enough for lunch but may slice up a couple pounds to make it worth while. i bought a ritter about 10 years ago, looks like the chef choice models, what ive found with the hundred dollar models that the bearing near the blade starts to wear in a couple years and the slices go from thin on the leading edge to much thicker as the cut is made. if your slicing dry italian cuts it makes a difference, if its roast beef, pastrami, ham, canadian bacon that doesnt matter too much. ive only used the smooth blade, the serrated is in the box still
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    Do they need sharpening often?
  • can clean it in 5 mins.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    henapple said:
    Picking up the 615 for $75... I love craigslist.
    sounds like a deal to me....as long as you don't cut a finger off you have some huge savings

• OH! I love using it to think slice potatoes for home made fries in the deep fryer. As mentioned  cheese and antipasto platters, Shredding lettuce for stuff. slicing cabbage for slaw.I really get nice thing slices on it. not on hot meats but chilled... no prob.
  • Skiddymarker
    henapple said:
    Do they need sharpening often?
    Depends how many staples (don't ask) bones and sausage grizzle you cut..... Sharpened mine twice in four years, use it maybe once or twice a week.
  • OH! I love using it to think slice potatoes for home made fries in the deep fryer. As mentioned  cheese and antipasto platters, Shredding lettuce for stuff. slicing cabbage for slaw.I really get nice thing slices on it. not on hot meats but chilled... no prob.
    Would make more sense if I did not misspell THIN twice! Sorry! Thin slice...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2013
    JRWhitee said:
    I just have the serrated blade, what is the advantage of the non-serrated.  Is it worth getting?

I think it depends on what you are slicing, I like the non-serrated for slicing lunch meats and such as I get a thinner more accurate cut, I like the serrated for softer cuts like tomatoes, breads and such. The non-serrated will work for everything but I think it kind of rips through stuff like turkey breast and roast beef IMHO anyway.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lookie what I just scored. $200. I'm so fired up to have a good slicer again. We sold our Globe withhe shop when we sold it and he ended up auctioning it off when he went under. I'm headed to pick it up nowimage
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    I hate your face...
  • Skiddymarker
    CT - nice machine, missed a Hobart by 5 minutes a couple of weeks ago, had no place in the kitchen for it, but that is just a minor detail. 
    @henapple - did you get the 615?
  • henapple said:
    I hate your face...
    Get in line........

I had kind of given up for a while but when I saw this pop up, I hopped on CL to look around and there it was. I got the model number and looked it up. $2500 new. I said, will you take $200 (he had it listed for $300). He said sure when can you come? I said how about right now......
  • skiddy- I have no room for it either but I tend not to get caught up in such trivial details when it comes to massively overpowered (for my needs) kitchen equip. The great part is TFJ is more excited about it than me. She's doing a roast beef for the kids lunches this week and she wants to grab a fresh ham to cure for lunch meat while we are out getting the slicer. She's a keeper.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    skiddy- I have no room for it either but I tend not to get caught up in such trivial details when it comes to massively overpowered (for my needs) kitchen equip.

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    Centex... lols jk broski. Just picked up the 615. You scored better than I did. All the commercial units I found were really old.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    I hate your face...
    Get in line........

I had kind of given up for a while but when I saw this pop up, I hopped on CL to look around and there it was. I got the model number and looked it up. $2500 new. I said, will you take $200 (he had it listed for $300). He said sure when can you come? I said how about right now......
    You Funk Soul Brother, you.