Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aging a primal. Bag or no bag? Help a brother out.

2»

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I did the dry age bags ~5 times and now have gone without for ~5 times. I have seen no difference. The dry age bag appeals to a persons fear of bad stuff getting on the meat. Haven't read anyone say they actually had this happen to them in a clean, cold fridge. (restaurants don't use dry age bags..) IMHO, I think if they improved the ability to seal/vacuum it would be a better product. (how about seal like a ziplock and and have a hose attachment to vacuume sealer?) I got quite frustrated with the sealing of the dry age bags, had to use multiple bags, having to buy and use Vacmouse's, etc. ($5-10 each time you tried).  I use a full size fridge, which I think gives me good airflow. Does anyone just use a mini-(beer) fridge? Does it get enough air circulation?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Raymont said:
    I did the dry age bags ~5 times and now have gone without for ~5 times. I have seen no difference. The dry age bag appeals to a persons fear of bad stuff getting on the meat. Haven't read anyone say they actually had this happen to them in a clean, cold fridge. (restaurants don't use dry age bags..) IMHO, I think if they improved the ability to seal/vacuum it would be a better product. (how about seal like a ziplock and and have a hose attachment to vacuume sealer?) I got quite frustrated with the sealing of the dry age bags, had to use multiple bags, having to buy and use Vacmouse's, etc. ($5-10 each time you tried).  I use a full size fridge, which I think gives me good airflow. Does anyone just use a mini-(beer) fridge? Does it get enough air circulation?
    Sorry you didn't ask me sooner but I always preach the idea of using one - yup, just one bag and seal it multiple times practicing to get the hang of how to do it rather than keep wasting bags. Once you get it down you'll know how your sealer will act and go from there. As for using a small dormitory refrig they typically just cool and do not have proper air circulation to draw off the escaping moisture.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:
    By "vac sealer", I meant the Food Saver. This appears to be a requirement to use the dry bags. I don't have a vacuum sealer so this whole thing is a non-starter for me. I'll stick to the way people have been dry aging since it's inception. If I had a vac sealer, this appears to be a way to do it under purview of SWMBO, versus hiding it away in all it's glory down in the basement/garage(aforementioned beer) fridge.
    Actually you do not need any kind of sealer! Honest!!! Using your hands or even 2 more hands from an assistant and a piece of tubing - even a straw will work you can collapse the bag and then suck the air out! Then quickly seal the bag with a bread twisty! The contact between the UMAi Dry Bag and the meat does not have to be perfect, though the tighter initially the better and quicker for the bond to form. Some people will also use this trick by stretching a piece of women's panty hose over the exterior to press out the air - or mesh commonly referred to as butcher's netting. If none of those appeal to you you can actually fill your sink or sufficient sized container with water. When the bag is submerged with the meat inside the water will press the air out so you can finish the draw down with a straw and then the bread twisty!
    So, in just a few words (if possible) can you please explain the benefit of using these bags other than it might alleviate concerns around uncovered raw meat in the refrigerator?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    IMHO I use them for 2 reasons. I believe what the company says about their product of allowing the one way release of moisture and the prevention of air flow and possible contamination flowing back in. Also SWMBO is a UMAi believer but would never go along with a piece of raw meat resting in the bottom of the refrigerator for weeks on end. 

Not that this will make anyone decide one way or another but there is a company in Europe which has developed bandages made from this product for burns and large wounds due to it's "one way" properties. 
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I've had wet and dry aged and much prefer the dry aging process. If you have a dedicated fridge, ditch the bag and go for better results.
  • RRP said:
    IMHO I use them for 2 reasons. I believe what the company says about their product of allowing the one way release of moisture and the prevention of air flow and possible contamination flowing back in. Also SWMBO is a UMAi believer but would never go along with a piece of raw meat resting in the bottom of the refrigerator for weeks on end. 

Not that this will make anyone decide one way or another but there is a company in Europe which has developed bandages made from this product for burns and large wounds due to it's "one way" properties. 
    Thanks Ron. I really want to start doing some dry ageing at home but am waiting to get a separate refrigerator that I can dedicate for that purpose. Given that I'd be using a separate refrigerator, Mrs. TOTN wouldn't care if the meat was in a bag or not. I guess it comes down to each individuals' comfort level with the whole dry-ageing process with respect to minimizing the risk of contamination as all of the reading I've done suggests that there is no appreciable difference in the end product.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I am interested in using the dry bags for capicolla.  Anyone have any experience using the bags for that cure?
    I am interested in using the dry bags for capicolla.  Anyone have any experience using the bags for that cure?

Since you are interested then may I suggest you watch Thea's how to video here.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-umai-charcuterie.php

If you check her forum you will see threads where users have had experience which you may find helpful. And yes, I'm the same RRP who posts there!

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    RRP said:

Thanks Ron. I really want to start doing some dry ageing at home but am waiting to get a separate refrigerator that I can dedicate for that purpose. Given that I'd be using a separate refrigerator, Mrs. TOTN wouldn't care if the meat was in a bag or not. I guess it comes down to each individuals' comfort level with the whole dry-ageing process with respect to minimizing the risk of contamination as all of the reading I've done suggests that there is no appreciable difference in the end product.

Zehrs has cap off rib for $3.99 this week.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

RRP said:

Since you are interested then may I suggest you watch Thea's how to video here.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-umai-charcuterie.php

If you check her forum you will see threads where users have had experience which you may find helpful. And yes, I'm the same RRP who posts there!

Thanks Ron,

Yes, I watched that about a year ago and it prompted me to make capicolla.  I've cured a enough meat to almost decide it's time for an environmental chamber, and I think this is a viable option where I can use my refrigerator.   I'm dealing with low humidity problems.  If the outside of the meat dries too fast, the outside "rind" creates a moisture barrier and the inside doesn't cure properly and can putrefy.

Thanks, I'll check that out.
  • Thanks all. Looks lke I have lots of reading to do. Still don't get the bag-'seems like more of a wet age to me but I'll look into it a little more. If only there was a forum that addressed this ..... :)).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Yes
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    There is no god.
    Thanks all. Looks lke I have lots of reading to do. Still don't get the bag-'seems like more of a wet age to me but I'll look into it a little more. If only there was a forum that addressed this ..... :)).
    i dont think i would buy the bag unless i was worried about children playing with it in the fridge. just go load the fridge with beers, wait for the temps to come back down, then put the primal in for 4 weeks, then start sampling
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

There is no god.

Village Idiot would strongly disagree..
  • nolaegghead
    henapple said:
    There is no god.
    I'm ok with both.
    VI is god...
  • Little Steven
    I think it's fine to do it commando style. I've done many. Just spray with a mild bleach solution to take care of the nasties.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think it's fine to do it commando style. I've done many. Just spray with a mild bleach solution to take care of the nasties.
    What about those nasties that last around 18 years? Typically bleach only works with their chores.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    VI is god...
    Where the hell are his damn croissants?
  • I think it's fine to do it commando style. I've done many. Just spray with a mild bleach solution to take care of the nasties.
    Spray what with a "mild bleach solution"?  :-?
    Spray what with a "mild bleach solution"?  :-?
    I'm impressed by his experience in this field. We all have much to learn.
  • Little Steven
    henapple said:
    There is no god.
    Yes but Jean Paul Sartre and Albert Camus would fully agree.

Steve 

Caledon, ON