Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is This A Normal Egg Glaze/Finish???

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    pretty sure the distributor is still Tarantin Tank out of brentwood nh for new england, might want to give them a call, they set me up with another dealer when i had problems with an egg that blew itself up from water damage getting under the glaze. still had to go thru a dealer for the claim but tarantin delivered it there for free with the next scheduled delivery. have experienced lots of problems with new england dealers and right now most are pool places not looking to sell bbq equipment in the fall as they are starting into shutdown mode and reducing stock
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit gave you THE man ! Bruce will take care of you !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • as far as the shipping charges as you dealer to have it shiped along with a order for stuff the they need for the store and maybe the shipping charge will disapear because they are already getting a delivery ,I had my fire ring and plate setter break during a clean burn and my dealer got me new ones and I had to pay $75.00 because they weren't ordering anything else if they were the shipping would have been abosrbed in nthe stuff that they were ordering for the store hey it's worth a try 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Wow, is all I can say...
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Hi guys, I've emailed Bruce also, as well as BGE customer service. I'm hoping they come to their senses and just see the common sense in it. Ill keep you posted and thanks for all the info and suggestions!
    Tiocfaidh!
    Support 26+6=1 United Ireland
  • I would never darken the door of this dealer again. They had a chance to build a customer for life by showing up at your house with a new one fully assmebled and taking this one away to sell as a demo still at a profit. Come to think of it, they could have made 2 customers for life by selling the demo to someone else. The cost of my egg barely scratches the surface on what I've spent at my dealer over the years.

The egg is just the crack pipe. Still have to fill it with all the crack they sell (lump, wood chunks, grids, thermos, brushes, digi Q's, rubs, sauces). This dude is a grade A moron.

You don't buy a fancy car with factory scratched paint, you wouldn't buy an expensive watch with a scratched bevel,'why would they expect you to buy a $1000 bbq with cosmetic defects?

This won't make you feel any better but mine dosent have those defects and it's been sitting outside uncovered for 8 years.

Stupid and short sided.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    My HOPE is that the $100 shipping is only applicable if he orders it seperately from the dealer's normal shipment.  Anything when the regular truck should not include an extra shipping charge.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    If you paid with a credit card you may still have time to dispute the charges. This will get the dealers attention.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    In my experience with a simple problem I had I have found calling and speaking to someone rather than an email works better..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I also agree that in this case, the dealer is your problem. I have never heard of a dealer of anything charging you for warranty paperwork, that is just insane. I'd report the bastard.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

This guy can offer another option...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Go Seabass...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lol excellent pic lol!

The dealer said today he would split the shipping! 50/50 honestly though I see it as a green egg issue, it was like this from factory it didn't just develop and become a warranty issue after the sale. Still awaiting BGE response!

Again guys thanks for the overwhelming support!
    Tiocfaidh!
    Support 26+6=1 United Ireland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This gets more and more weird. Now he'll split the cost of shipping with you? That tells me right there that somebody knows you shouldn't be paying for shipping. I'm with @henapple. Call the mothership and speak to someone, asking for an explanation - in the most civil, polite, yet insistent  way you can muster. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    That is a crappy dealer. Return the egg and find a new dealer.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Maybe there is a lesson here. Many of us buy an egg which comes in a number of sealed boxes (My MBGE came in two). An out of the box failure/damage that is not made right by the dealer/company is unacceptable. Sounds to me like all new prospective egg purchasers should ask their dealer to open the purchase, allow the purchaser to inspect it before the product leaves the store. In other words until you are sure it is OK, don't take delivery because once you do take delivery you are responsible for any problems. I'd give the Company a chance to respond.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    One would think it would behoove the Big Green Egg (tm) corporation to have a representative on this forum to mitigate lousy dealers damaging their brand.
    Maybe there is a lesson here. Many of us buy an egg which comes in a number of sealed boxes (My MBGE came in two). An out of the box failure/damage that is not made right by the dealer/company is unacceptable. Sounds to me like all new prospective egg purchasemrs should ask their dealer to open the purchase, allow the purchaser to inspect it before the product leaves the store. In other words until you are sure it is OK, don't take delivery because once you do take delivery you are responsible for any problems. I'd give the Company a chance to respond.   
    I understand your suggestion, but why should buying a brand new egg in a sealed container be a crap shoot? If quality control is doing its duty in Mexico then they shouldn't be packaging any inferior product! Me thinks this issue is another cost saving move by the new man at BGE. He has made several other changes and relaxing QC inspections might be another! Just saying...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Yep, you got a bad dealer. Return that SOB for a full refund and go somewhere else that stands behind what they sell. Also complain to the manufacturer about how disappointed you are with their product. That thing should have never left the factory.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797

Hey RRP, if you hate BGE and the new corporate direction why not sell your eggs and buy something that is more to your quality standards. As much as you bad mouth them on the other forum, I am surprised you grace these doors!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Gene, why not bury your hatred of me for making a comment about killing dogs when I did not understand you meant a college rivalry? My point that I just made stands any test that is needed in a well run company. If customers need to inspect a product before taking delivery like the poster suggested to which I replied then something isn't right! QC must be a new issue. The price increases, plastic handles, fired staff etc are still proof of new management policy whether you hate me or not.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

As a bystander, I feel that Crimsongator's venomous post to Ron Pratt rally has no place on the forum.  Best handled man-to-man in a PM or direct personal e-mail.  Not here.

Just saying. 

[-X
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Crimsongator
    edited October 2013

RRP, Why would you own a product from a company that you felt was "screwing people out of their hard earned money" and had a product pipeline akin to Skunk Works.

p.s. I don' hate you, heck we've never met. I just have to judge based on what you say. And truth be told you have bad mouthed BGE on the unofficial forum since this one was created. I am just surprised you are here.

• So if you just bought it, take it back to the store and say you want a full refund. This is not up for negotiations...... be point blank with them. THEY MAKE GOOD MONEY FROM EACH purchase to cover things like this... NOT COOL for them to pull this. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Bad thing is, someone who is reading this forum may want to get into egging and then come across this thread. If it were me, I would be scared about this guys experience. Spend $1200+ and get shitted on by the dealer...
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Crimsongator

True, but that is why you should research before you buy. A bad dealer can cast a negative light on a good company or product.

• RRP
    Gene - I love all four of my BGEs purchased from 2000 to 2005. Yes that time frame was under the Ed Fisher ownership. Why should I sell my units? Have I complained since the new guy took over? I SURE have! Why? BGE has had an excellent reputation for quality and customer service? Maybe I'm a throw back to earlier times, but this corporate forum is standing on the shoulders of that old unofficial forum that was around for nearly 20 years which you seem to forget.
  • You contacted the guy who made it all good with me. It took two days to hear from him though. I'm betting tomorrow at this time it's all good.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Crimsongator

I am not going to apologize for siding with BGE. The quality improvements to the mates, nests, table offerings, accessories, graphics, webpage design and a whole number of items are much improved. The warranty is still honored through the dealer network and that is the advice that you missed giving.

• RRP
    I hope you are right, Gene! Good night.