Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowest Temp

Something I have never attempted but curious about...what is the lowest temp maintainable using a direct setup (lowered grid an without platesetter) with the Dig Q?

Geaux Tigers!

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    edited September 2013
    I have held 200 for an overnight butt cook.

But I have have been wondering the same question as I have a friend who runs a BBQ joint in Texas and cooks his briskest at 180 and was thinking about trying the approach the next time I do a brisket.

:-?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Okay-no attachments but if you fire it up (LBGE) bottom dead center or so you can run around 200*F for the duration of sobriety.  I've smoked jalas for chilpotles (pecan wood) for 14+ hours keeping the alcohol consumption at a steady pace but not overpowering.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 180 is the lowest I have been able to hold.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @lousubcap - I am seeing a flaw with the not overpowering comment :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Mkline said:
    I have held 200 for an overnight butt cook. But I have have been wondering the same question as I have a friend who runs a BBQ joint in Texas and cooks his briskest at 180 and was thinking about trying the approach the next time I do a brisket. :-?

Does he go direct or indirect?

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Mkline
    He goes direct.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Direct and if you run too fast you can get overpwered.  When messing around at the lower end of the LBGE temperature spectrum I try (key word) to not get overcome too early in the adventure but sometimes I will "declare victory" and move on. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I've held 175 - 180 for loooong periods of time.
  • Mkline said:

I have held 200 for an overnight butt cook.

But I have have been wondering the same question as I have a friend who runs a BBQ joint in Texas and cooks his briskest at 180 and was thinking about trying the approach the next time I do a brisket.

:-?

So out of curiosity, how does he reach his target temp? I know his target has gotta be higher than 180. Does he up the temp at the end of the cook?
  • I can maintain mine at 90 to 100 for atleast five days.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • ribmaster said:
    I can maintain mine at 90 to 100 for atleast five days.

I always laughed at that "side effect". More like a bonus.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I've never heard of anyone cooking brisket at 180. I don't know of anyone who cooks them to less than 190-200. Hard to get there when you are cooking at 180. What's the bbq joint?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited September 2013
    ribmaster said:
    I can maintain mine at 90 to 100 for atleast five days.
    Shucks, I've kept mine at 30-40 degrees for months.  Heck, I've done it on 4 cookers simultaneously.  And I didn't even need a CyberQ or DigiQ.  Sheer force of will.  I guess that is why they call me The Naked Whiz.  (Huh?)  :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited September 2013

What's the reasoning behind wanting to go so low and direct at the same time?

I've held 145 for a few hours, then 150 for an hour, then 160 for an hour using an Auber, but it was indirect. I was smoking sausage and ramping up ten degrees every hour.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    have held 145 direct with jerkey hanging from a raised grid for several hours with no devices. trick is to use a small amount of small pieces of lump from a previous cook. the small pieces help to clog the airholes reducing airflow. have also done the same in my small cooking ribs at 200 all day, whatyou find with direct cooks is that you can really reduce how much lump you start out with which helps get more distance between the fire and the food, you can cook ribs for 7 or more hours with less than 2 inches of lump, just make sure the lump pieces are small so they contact each other in as many places as possible, that helps the fire stay burning. there are other seyups that will let you cold smoke with an egg, you didnt really say how low or what your trying to do
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • have held 145 direct with jerkey hanging from a raised grid for several hours with no devices. trick is to use a small amount of small pieces of lump from a previous cook. the small pieces help to clog the airholes reducing airflow. have also done the same in my small cooking ribs at 200 all day, whatyou find with direct cooks is that you can really reduce how much lump you start out with which helps get more distance between the fire and the food, you can cook ribs for 7 or more hours with less than 2 inches of lump, just make sure the lump pieces are small so they contact each other in as many places as possible, that helps the fire stay burning. there are other seyups that will let you cold smoke with an egg, you didnt really say how low or what your trying to do
    It helps when you live somewhere that the winter mean temp is-20

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 150 degrees at the grid with a dig q.  Have done 140 before but it was not as stable for a long period.  This is on the x-large and I usually do jerky for 11-13 hours.
    XL BGE
  • Mkline
    Nick2cd said:
    I have held 200 for an overnight butt cook. But I have have been wondering the same question as I have a friend who runs a BBQ joint in Texas and cooks his briskest at 180 and was thinking about trying the approach the next time I do a brisket. :-?
    So out of curiosity, how does he reach his target temp? I know his target has gotta be higher than 180. Does he up the temp at the end of the cook?
    Yes, once he reached a desired internal temp he slowly ups the fire temp.