Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Road trip from Canada to: Dizzy Pig (VA), Fred's BBQ (PA), Atlantic City, Boston, Ogunquit???

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
We are leaving tomorrow from Ottawa (Canada) toward unknown destinations in the USA. I would like to visit the Dizzy Pig HQ (is it open to the public? Is it worth visiting?). I am also thinking of making a stop at Fred's music and BBQ. Any other recommendations?

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Keep in mind that Fred's place is just a store. A very well-stocked store, but a store nonetheless. Fred was available to chat just one of the four times I've been there. You can get just about any accessory you would want, BGE and otherwise, and he has an excellent collection of rubs, sauces and marinades. His "blue bag" charcoal is fantastic. But his prices are a bit on the high side. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Dizzy Pig's Chris (@natureboy) is an egg dealer with a store front in Manassas. I would send him an email through his website. I don't know if he offers any kind of tour or anything.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    @TjColey  is in PA, he lives 20-30 miles west of Fred's Shillington Store I think. No idea if he has some thoughts on visiting the area, send him a PM. 
    He may give you some good BBQ joints to hit, he sent me some excellent rub and sauce in the exchange, Arooga's - very good stuff. 

Have a safe trip....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    @TjColey  is in PA, he lives 20-30 miles west of Fred's Shillington Store I think. No idea if he has some thoughts on visiting the area, send him a PM. 
    He may give you some good BBQ joints to hit, he sent me some excellent rub and sauce in the exchange, Arooga's - very good stuff. 

Have a safe trip....
    I haven't been here yet but it's getting good reviews. Only about ten minutes from Fred's. Planning on heading here next time I'm in Reading. There are a number of Arooga's in the Harrisburg area, more known fow wings than BBQ. Lots of good sauces. Beyond the BBQ Brawl: Johnny & Hon's Smokehaus in Robesonia

Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Thanks TJ. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Thanks everyone!

@pagman I would swing by NJ/NYC area and pick up few of these babies:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155549/new-mini-kinda/p3
    canuckland
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Ogunquit is kind of blah. If you're looking for a Maine experience, I'd either go Portland, or further up to the mid-coast, and check out Camden/Rockport/Rockland. Nothing BBQ related, but very nice spots with lots of options of things to do, depending on your interests.

Also if you go up to the mid-coast, definitely get a reservation at Primo Rockland, phenomenal restaurant. Plan on having some time to go through the grounds and visit future meals.image

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Paqman, people stop in from all over the place. It's a small store, but we have a lot of fun meeting folks and sharing our cooking knowledge. Give us a shout and let us know when you are coming!

Safe travels.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    edited August 2013

Try to make it on a Wednesday and you'll be able to attend a meet and greet. Dizzy Pig does a cooking demonstration and it is a good way to connect with other eggers.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va