Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
So last night, my buddy and I received some amazing news from our wives. We're all going to New York in October, which is amazing as I've always wanted to go. The bonus is, the purpose of the trip is to watch his Giants play my Vikes at MetLife Stadium. I was so stoked, I immediately bought tickets last night!! :D:D

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

So here's my question. We obviously will eat our share of Nathan's hot dogs, pizza, begals, heros. We plan to eat at Chinatown and Little Italy, but I want to make sure we eat a very memorable meal. Suggestions?

Also, all suggestions for any favorite food spots are welcome too. :)
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Brunch at Bobby Flay's Bar Americain.
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Gonna ride along on this thread as the last time I was in the City was 2004-I'm sure there will be eggcellent recommendations.  Hang on to your a$$-the place is an amazing ride! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Cazzy, get one of these before you go.... http://onebeforeidie.com. I got one for the Browns today. For the record, 40 years ago, I trick or treated as Fran Tarkenton. I bled purple until 14.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Tjcoley
    Strand Smokehouse in Astoria - beer garden style BBQ. They have a whiskey bar, with tapped oak barrels of whiskey, and you buy your meats by weight. Kinda better if it's a group of people though Steak Frites (french) and Blue Water Grill (seafood) in Union Square are both good The Bar at the Lamb's Club - it's just off Times Sq. the bar is the open to the public. It's Iron Chef Zakarian's restaurant
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    My brother lived in NYC for a couple years and only got to go see him once in that time.  I would say Strand Smokehouse is worth it, Nathan's is an experience but not earth shattering. I'd dial down your expectations for the food.  While good most is completely overpriced for the names of said business.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • exspo
    exspo Posts: 51
    Go to Mighty Quinn. Best BBQ I've ever had. Then go to old town bar.
  • cazzy
    wow, I honestly didn't expect BBQ recommendations.  Surprising...
  • Tjcoley
    edited August 2013
    My son lives in NYC - his recommendations, as well as the above are also, Burger Joint! The cash only greasy spoon burger place at the end of an unmarked hallway in Le Parker Meridian hotel. Not at all fancy. Just your regular backyard cookout burger on a white wonderbread bun. But totally a cool experience. And, if he needs a place for cocktails and has a shirt and tie with him, Campbell's Apartment at Grand Central Station. The actual private residence of a railroad tycoon, converted to a bar, serving only Prohibition era cocktails. No jeans, shorts, or sneakers allowed.
    Thanks @Tjcoley for all the recommendations!  We definitely may do Bobby Flay's spot.  Loved brunch and dinner at Mesa Grill!
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Since Tjcoley mentioned Parker Meridian, consider Norma's (at the same hotel) for breakfast/brunch.  A bit over the top, but great.  If you have a sweet tooth, momofuku milk bar.  For bagels, I was always partial to Ess-a-Bagel.  
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Guy's American Kitchen and Bar (read the NY Times article first ;) ok, ok, I kid), a good deli - Katz Deli maybe, I'm sure there are better, but some history there.    Adam Perry Lang's Daisy May's BBQ USA.  So there are two I'd have to hit. 
    edited August 2013
    Nice!  Thanks guys!  Really appreciate the suggestions.

Nola, we plan to eat at guy's every night!

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    You couldn't pay me to eat at Guy's restaurant. $38 for something where velveeta is a main ingredient? Seriously do not see his appeal.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    You may have to eat Viking for dinner, you have been warned!!!! So act accordingly!!!

=)) =)) =))

Felipe
    Strayed Viking in Mexico!
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    My only advice is to avoid any restaurants right around Times Square.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Enjoy the trip Cazzy. I trust that when Big Blue hammers your Vikes the trip will not be a total loss....
    Been a Giants fan since high school and that was a long 45 years ago.... Have a safe trip!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hey man - I live in Hoboken NJ right across the Hudson from Manhattan. Go to Jean-George's restaurant in the meatpacking district - Spice Market. Jean and his team of classically trained french chefs traveled around Asia in search of the best street vendor food. When they found something they liked, they re-created it and brought it back to Manhattan. This place is beyond awesome. 

Before going to Spice Market, begin with a beer or two at the Standard Hotel's Biergarten (right across from Spice Market).

For Mexican food, Dos Caminos in Soho is a favorite.

Also, lots of folks come here looking for Pizza. In my opinion the best pizza comes from Grimaldi's. There is one in Brooklyn and also two in Hoboken.

Skip all of the touristy places, and skip anything in times square.
  • NYC suburbanite and commuter here...

I'd shy away from the BBQ here - not because it's bad, but because it's not great compared to what you can get elsewhere, and there's plenty of other cuisines here that can do better.  I always encourage folks to stay away from Times Square and look further afield.  Chinatown for dim sum on Sunday morning, Arthur Ave in the Bronx for old school Italian.  Jackson Heights in Queens for Indian and West 32st for Korean BBQ.  Gotta visit a NYC steakhouse too.  Lugers if you want to go to Brooklyn, but lot's of good 'uns in Manhattan as well.  And +1 on Grimaldi's.  

The key is to get out of the tourist areas!

The new stadium has some decent food as well, which should salve your feelings as you watch your Vikings lose.

Mamaroneck
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    edited August 2013

If you are looking for something really upscale go to Daniel.  I went to a wedding reception there.  I probably won't go there again any time soon if I'm the one who has to pay because we are rarely in the mood for fine dining on vacation (or ever) but if that interests you they do it as well as any restaurant on the planet.

http://danielnyc.com/

And Go Vikings! I'm a fan from back to the Joe Kapp, Purple People Eaters era.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I'd hit Katz's for pastrami or corned  beef, Balthazar for a killer brunch and perhaps some BBQ @ http://delaneybbq.com/. Read up on Delaney. I think you will find it worth the trip.
  • For high end if you can get into Le Bernadin, it doesn't disappoint.  I love Katz's deli as well and if you like sushi, Morimoto's is really good!
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    blueinatl said:
    For high end if you can get into Le Bernadin, it doesn't disappoint.  I love Katz's deli as well and if you like sushi, Morimoto's is really good!

Last time I got sushi in NY I went with my cousin. I don't remember the name of the place, but it was supposed to be one of the better places in the city. The bill was $200. Each.
  • cazzy

blueinatl said:

For high end if you can get into Le Bernadin, it doesn't disappoint.  I love Katz's deli as well and if you like sushi, Morimoto's is really good!

Last time I got sushi in NY I went with my cousin. I don't remember the name of the place, but it was supposed to be one of the better places in the city.

The bill was $200. Each.

Ouch! That's one hefty bill for sushi.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I can inhale sushi and drink copious amounts of Japanese beer but I don't know how I would get to $200/plate.  They must be very proud of the dead fish :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    cazzy said:
    blueinatl said:

Last time I got sushi in NY I went with my cousin. I don't remember the name of the place, but it was supposed to be one of the better places in the city. The bill was $200. Each.
    Ouch! That's one hefty bill for sushi.

Yeah it stung a little. The place was on the UES, so there's probably an added tax due to the locale. It was damned good stuff, but the cost was ridiculous.
  • cazzy
    edited August 2013
    All you g-men fans can suck it cause we're going to force Eli into another 4 INT day at home. :D

Remember Eli is 1-4 against the Vikes and 0-2 at home. Each home game, he threw 4 INTs and 1 TD. His highest passer rating in 5 attempts is 76.4.

In total, he has thrown 11 interceptions and 3 touchdowns vs minny.

With all that said, at least statistics are on my side!! :P

I guess I'm not going to wear my AP jersey. My buddy who's a born and raised New Yorker has strongly advised against sporting purple. He hasn't been home in 22 years, but still thinks his bothers will make my night miserable...or worse.
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    You can carry your purple wallet, they won't see it!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    when your in Little Italy you have to go to Angelo's of Mulberry street I is my favorite Italian restaurant anything you get will be great it a can't miss place 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

blueinatl said:

Last time I got sushi in NY I went with my cousin. I don't remember the name of the place, but it was supposed to be one of the better places in the city.

The bill was $200. Each.

I don't think that is too ridiculous, especially once you factor in the NY premiums. I've had the omakase at Kaz Sushi Bistro in DC, and although my wife wouldn't let me see the bill (it was my b-day), I'm pretty sure it was $250-300 for the two of us. And if I remember correctly, Sukiyabashi Jiro is around $400/person.

On the whole, I'd rather do that than drop a comparable amount at a steakhouse, because there is no way I can come remotely close to pulling that sushi dinner together. I can order really good dry aged steak and cook it myself a lot sooner than I'll be a master sushi chef.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD