Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yuzu Kosho Scallops and Shrimp

As Bubba Gump said, you can fix shrimp (and scallops) a million ways.  I try to come up with something different now and then for variety.  I stumbled across this recipe in my book, The Japanese Grill.  Yuzu Kosho is a hot paste that gives the shrimp and scallops a wonderful heat, but not hot enough to run off my sensitive wife.

The recipe calls for a marinade of 2 tablespoons of Yuzu Kosho, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 1/2 cup olive oil.  After grilling, brush with reserved marinade before pulling.  

It's really, really good.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looks good Gary. Love the mini and love shrimp and scallops. Should have sat at the green table though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Thanks VI, that looks so good. Wish I had access to great seafood.  It would also help if my wife enjoyed it more. But at 15-30 dollars per pound around here, I can't afford to experiment very often for something she probably won't eat any way.

Very nicely done.
    ^:)^
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Thanks VI, that looks so good. Wish I had access to great seafood.  
    Scott, I live 50 miles from the Gulf, but seafood is getting really expensive here too.  I bought 6 ocean scallops today and they cost $13.00.  The jumbo shrimp weren't so bad.  I bought 6 for $5.50.  So, the meat for that meal was $18.50.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

VI, just brought home some scallops from Fresh Market and was chewing on my options, when I came upon your old post about the scallops and shrimp with margharita butter. Read this a few mins ago and am rubbin my hands, rollin up my sleeve and polishin my teeth. You go and do a switch on me.

I am all confused now.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Which yuzu kosho did you use? The green?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, in the land locked part of the country I live in the shrimp alone would have been at least 20 bucks on sale, 30 dollars regular price. Granted, I make up for it with beef and pork readily available at a decent price, but still love me some good seafood. Scallops around here larger then a inch and a half are incredibly hard to find.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Village Idiot
    Which yuzu kosho did you use? The green?
    Yes, I used the green.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Aviator said:

VI, just brought home some scallops from Fresh Market and was chewing on my options, when I came upon your old post about the scallops and shrimp with margharita butter. Read this a few mins ago and am rubbin my hands, rollin up my sleeve and polishin my teeth. You go and do a switch on me.

I am all confused now.

Aviator, unless you have a Japanese grocery store in your neighborhood, I'd go with the Margarita butter.  It's excellent too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Aviator

Is this how to?

Chattanooga, TN.

• Village Idiot
    Aviator,

That might work, but I bought my Yuzu Kosho in a jar, already made up.  The instructions call for you getting Yuzu juice from your Asian store .... you might as well buy the Yuzu Kosho.  Right?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Aviator
    edited June 2013

Well, I am going with plan A and open the cask at this time. I will not be responsible for any further comments from me.

Thanks, Gary for posting. As always, you are a good inspiration. At least in cooking. Now, that vespa... When ya gonna grow up and get a real bike? He He... A BMW?

Chattanooga, TN.

• Village Idiot
    Aviator said:
    Well, I am going with plan A and open the cask at this time. I will not be responsible for any further comments from me.
    From previous posts, I know whatever you do will be outstanding !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Aviator

Just kiddin with ya VI.

:))

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mighty tasty lookin',  Gary.   Sea Scallops are one of my favorite proteins. 

You ever have New Orleans style BBQ shrimp?  It's nothing like it sounds.  It's a simple creole dish with a complex flavor.  You'll need an angioplasty after eating them, but, what a way to die.

http://www.mrbsbistro.com/recipes_shrimp.php

(Mr. B's Bistro make them the best - we use their recipe - cut back on the butter and add some beer, and use fresh French bread to soak up the juice)
    edited June 2013

You ever have New Orleans style BBQ shrimp?  It's nothing like it sounds.  It's a simple creole dish with a complex flavor.  You'll need an angioplasty after eating them, but, what a way to die.

Mais oui, mon ami.  I have cooked it before and liked it alot.  Here is my attempt.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Most excellent!

Did you find the yuzu kosho at 99 Ranch or Hmart, or somewhere else? It sounds like something I would like.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Village Idiot
    caliking said:
    Most excellent! Did you find the yuzu kosho at 99 Ranch or Hmart, or somewhere else? It sounds like something I would like.
    Cali,

There is a small Japanese grocery store called Daido, on the northwest corner of Westheimer and Wilcrest. I get all of my Japanese stuff there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I don't think I've heard of that store before. Thanks, VI. I love checking out ethnic grocery stores.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hmmm... didn't take a picture of the fabulous veggie lasagna I made yesterday to wow NOLA, but I DID find Jesus in the strangest place...
  • Village Idiot
    Hmmm... didn't take a picture of the fabulous veggie lasagna I made yesterday to wow NOLA, but I DID find Jesus in the strangest place...
    Fleur !   Is that really you?  Be still, my heart.

I'd know your picture anywhere, m'love.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• It's me, live and in the flesh... not much of a forum poster, but I have to check in every now and then since I've met some of you guys to see what's happenin'. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2013
    This is the greatest day ever. The woman behind the myth has returned! Plus, she is a RN like me! I missed celebrating Florence's birthday with you @Fleurdelirious. Tell nola to get his ass in gear and not pull this crap again.
  • Ahhh yes! Happy belated Nurses Week! 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Nurse Ratched belongs on this asylum. We'd be a much friendlier place.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    =D>  Shrimp and scallops look fantabulous, Gary.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    I've never heard of Yuzu Kosho, I will look for it while I am out today.  It sounds fantastic -- thank you! :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

Looks fantastic. Will bookmark this and thanks for the direction on the Japanese restaurant.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts