Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Since WGWW Is No Longer Available (And I Hear Their Customer Service Stinks)

Seriously...not trying to bring up the old thread but I do have a question.  Called my local Ace today to see if they had ANY left.  Nope and not getting any more.  So I guess I am going to have to start ordering online because the only thing I have close to me now is Cowboy (not that bad but I would prefer something else).

This isn't a what lump is best question...it is a where is the best place online to get lump?  I think I have seen firecraft.com mentioned on here and I can get Ozark Oak for $1.09/lb shipped to my door.  

Any other suggestions?
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Can you not find Royal Oak at wal-mart in your area?  What about Kroger brand?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Ace has their own brand grill mates or something and i believe someone said thats made by RO . i could be wrong 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I posted earlier asking about a couple on amazon. They qualify for prime free shipping and have good reviews.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I agree with @SmokeyPitt ! I would try Kroger brand lump. I have always been satisfied With there lump, don't waste your time on publix lump!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    WG's customer service is excellent. Always has been for me. Lee is a very pleasant person to deal with. I know because I have done so a number of times. One guy on here tells you he had an unfortunate experience and all of a sudden "their customer service stinks"? Nonsense.

No longer available? More nonsense. They are temporarily out of stock, not "no longer available". Their website says...

Our WGC is temporarily sold out and will be receiving new shipments beginning around mid-June. We certainly understand that this is an inconvenience for you ... however, we thank you for your patience and for your support! The Store will re-open as soon as our WGC is available.
    Thank you! ... The Wicked Good Folks
    Buy a bag or two of RO from Walmart. Surely that will last you until WG is back. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I'm really not in the business of consumer sale, nor selling individual bags......but if you out-of-staters want to put together group buys, I will ship pallets.  It's how I got started--trust me you'll have plenty of takers.  Put an ad on Craigslist, on the bulletin board at work, and talk with your local BBQ store, butcher shop, fruit stand, etc.  They'll go quick.  I went from a single pallet to a semi truck full in just a few years. 

I can buy a truckload of any charcoal you want and distribute it, but our brand will be the most economical since there's no middle man.

There's 30 bags on a pallet, 20 lbs each.  Shipping goes up quite a bit if you need residential delivery or liftgate service, so try to find someone with a business address.  If you're only getting 1 or 2 pallets, two people can hand unload the bags in under 5 minutes.  Anything over that, you're going to need a dock or forklift.

Send me an email through my website if you want a quote.  Just give me your ZIP, # of pallets, and if it's a business or residential delivery.

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    edited June 2013

I asked the same questions a few days ago.. here is the link

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152001/free-shipping-on-lump#latest

bottom line: Firecraft.com, Grillstuff.com and amazon.com are the big three discussed that offer free shipping with special memberships or min orders......

I am interested in the KJ lump from Ace -- Ace usually has a $15 off $100 coupon and you can order lump online and have it shipped to the store for free.  Other than that -  I am looking to making my own lump (I am interested in Bamboo...)

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited June 2013
    I thought I saw somewhere that bbqguys.com sells charcoal and the shipping is reasonable. I hope Amazon has decent charcoal since I have Prime - free shipping.

But I'm wary about having charcoal shipped. Easy for the shipper to toss it around and break the large pieces up. Any folks here who had a good experience having charcoal shipped?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I use Humphrey and have it shipped to a trucking depot where I pick it up. The depot loads it right on to my truck with the forklift. Shipping and quantity will determine your final cost. On my last order of 3 pallets, the cost came out to 13.19/bag including shipping. The bags were 20 lb bags. Shipping costs will vary depending on where you live.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Can you not find Royal Oak at wal-mart in your area?  What about Kroger brand?

Kosko said:
    I agree with @SmokeyPitt ! I would try Kroger brand lump. I have always been satisfied With there lump, don't waste your time on publix lump!
    I can find RO but I DESPISE Walmart.  That is my backup plan though  :).  No Kroger's in my area..
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    Lit said:
    I posted earlier asking about a couple on amazon. They qualify for prime free shipping and have good reviews.
    I read that and I might give it a try.  Did you actually order any?
    Anderson, SC

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    I bought 100 lbs of Ozark Oak 2 weeks ago at grillstuff.com. Once you pay $99 you get free shipping. So with free shipping and no tax for me it was a no brainer. I paid 10.95 per bag and got 10 bags. I considered Amazon, but it was more expensive overall. Looks like this or buying via pallet is the way to go. As for the quality of the lump. I opened my first bag last weekend and it was good. All large and medium pieces in the top half of the bag. That's all I've been through at this point.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• r270ba
    edited June 2013
    WG's customer service is excellent. Always has been for me. Lee is a very pleasant person to deal with. I know because I have done so a number of times. One guy on here tells you he had an unfortunate experience and all of a sudden "their customer service stinks"? Nonsense.

No longer available? More nonsense. They are temporarily out of stock, not "no longer available". Their website says...

Our WGC is temporarily sold out and will be receiving new shipments beginning around mid-June. We certainly understand that this is an inconvenience for you ... however, we thank you for your patience and for your support! The Store will re-open as soon as our WGC is available.
    Thank you! ... The Wicked Good Folks
    Buy a bag or two of RO from Walmart. Surely that will last you until WG is back. 
    Carolina Q it was just a joke...take it easy (I should have expected that though based on my title :)) ).  I never said that WGWW was no longer available.  It is just no longer available at Ace Hardwares (I have also spoken with Lee @ WGWW and they verified that).  Ace were the only one's that carried it in my area...so...no longer available to me.  If you look at my posts on that thread I was in support of WGWW...just titling my thread to get some looks.  Its all good though!

I would love for Ace to pickup up the WGWW because that is all I have bought for the past two years.
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba

I'm really not in the business of consumer sale, nor selling individual bags......but if you out-of-staters want to put together group buys, I will ship pallets.  It's how I got started--trust me you'll have plenty of takers.  Put an ad on Craigslist, on the bulletin board at work, and talk with your local BBQ store, butcher shop, fruit stand, etc.  They'll go quick.  I went from a single pallet to a semi truck full in just a few years. 

I can buy a truckload of any charcoal you want and distribute it, but our brand will be the most economical since there's no middle man.

There's 30 bags on a pallet, 20 lbs each.  Shipping goes up quite a bit if you need residential delivery or liftgate service, so try to find someone with a business address.  If you're only getting 1 or 2 pallets, two people can hand unload the bags in under 5 minutes.  Anything over that, you're going to need a dock or forklift.

Send me an email through my website if you want a quote.  Just give me your ZIP, # of pallets, and if it's a business or residential delivery.

What is your website address?
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba

I asked the same questions a few days ago.. here is the link

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152001/free-shipping-on-lump#latest

bottom line: Firecraft.com, Grillstuff.com and amazon.com are the big three discussed that offer free shipping with special memberships or min orders......

I am interested in the KJ lump from Ace -- Ace usually has a $15 off $100 coupon and you can order lump online and have it shipped to the store for free.  Other than that -  I am looking to making my own lump (I am interested in Bamboo...)

Cool thanks for the verification of firecraft.com
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    I use Humphrey and have it shipped to a trucking depot where I pick it up. The depot loads it right on to my truck with the forklift. Shipping and quantity will determine your final cost. On my last order of 3 pallets, the cost came out to 13.19/bag including shipping. The bags were 20 lb bags. Shipping costs will vary depending on where you live.
    3 pallets???!!!???  Did you split that with anyone?
    Anderson, SC

• baywulf
    baywulf Posts: 12
    Long time lurker here, but rarely post.  I had been using Ozark Oak and Wicked Good excusively.  I can no longer find Wicked Good, and OO is becoming hard to get in Maryland.  I contacted StLouis Charcoal aka Rockwood Charcoal, and have arranged a pallet for delivery.  Cost comes out to $17 a bag.  Not too bad, and I will post about it once I try it out on a few different cooks.
  • r270ba
    fiver29 said:
    I bought 100 lbs of Ozark Oak 2 weeks ago at grillstuff.com. Once you pay $99 you get free shipping. So with free shipping and no tax for me it was a no brainer. I paid 10.95 per bag and got 10 bags. I considered Amazon, but it was more expensive overall. Looks like this or buying via pallet is the way to go. As for the quality of the lump. I opened my first bag last weekend and it was good. All large and medium pieces in the top half of the bag. That's all I've been through at this point.
    Great info...thanks!  I think this is the way I will go but I think I want to use firecraft.com (not sure why).  

Not really worried if folks can't take a joke.  Like I said...I would still be buying WGWW if it was available.  'Nonsense' or not I can't make my Ace **** out bags of WGWW for me...they simply do not have it and will no longer have it (according to Lee at WGWW).
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    baywulf said:
    Long time lurker here, but rarely post.  I had been using Ozark Oak and Wicked Good excusively.  I can no longer find Wicked Good, and OO is becoming hard to get in Maryland.  I contacted StLouis Charcoal aka Rockwood Charcoal, and have arranged a pallet for delivery.  Cost comes out to $17 a bag.  Not too bad, and I will post about it once I try it out on a few different cooks.
    @17/bag is that for 20#s?
    Anderson, SC

• baywulf
    baywulf Posts: 12
    r270ba said:
    baywulf said:

It was for the 20#s bags. 
  • r270ba
    Man let me know how it turns out.  That is a good price!
    Anderson, SC

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Now I'm really thankful for HEB and their Central Market brand. Have you looked at Costco?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    edited June 2013

My plan is to go back to BGE/RO until I find something better.   Was not dissatisifed with those before, just had found something much better.

On the search for my new Charcoal of choice.   Need to get back to NakedWhiz site for some review of his research.  

Watching here closely for ideas.

Cookin in Texas
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    boatbum said:

My plan is to go back to BGE/RO until I find something better.   Was not dissatisifed with those before, just had found something much better.

On the search for my new Charcoal of choice.   Need to get back to NakedWhiz site for some review of his research.  

Watching here closely for ideas.

It's unfortunate that WW is no longer available at my neighborhood Ace affiliate. I bought 5 bags of RO and I'm not a fan at all.

Going back to HEB Central Market Lump immediately after.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    r270ba said:
    Lit said:
    I read that and I might give it a try.  Did you actually order any?
    I just ordered a 35 lb bag of the Fogo. Should be here Tuesday I will post results once I give it a go.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited June 2013
    r270ba said:
    baywulf said:

Yep, 20-lbs bags, 30 on a pallet, and 700+ miles away @ $17/bag.  Wouldn't be much more to SC, since it's about the same mileage.    Now he saved about $100 by picking it up at the shipper's depot since there's a big surcharge for residential delivery (or worse, needing a liftgate).

I saw you asked for the website above..... http://www.stlcharcoal.com

• stlcharcoal

Wouldn't be much more to SC, since it's about the same mileage.   

I had my application open anyway, so I just punched in a general ZIP for Anderson, SC (biz address.)  It would be a little cheaper.....$16.80/bag for one pallet of 20's.  That would drop to $15.30/bag for two pallets since they can double stack them in the truck.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I just bought a couple bags of RO, but I feel like I should just take them back. Thanks for the bbqguys.com link. Flat 6.95 shipping is great for a few bags to try. The others with free shipping of $100 is nice for the larger orders. Looks like I can try this much talked about Ozark Oak!
    Dunedin, FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Wouldn't be much more to SC, since it's about the same mileage.   

I had my application open anyway, so I just punched in a general ZIP for Anderson, SC (biz address.)  It would be a little cheaper.....$16.80/bag for one pallet of 20's.  That would drop to $15.30/bag for two pallets since they can double stack them in the truck.
    Have you shipped into Canada? It's 750 miles from St. Lou. I would be interested if I can find a few around here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061

3 pallets???!!!???  Did you split that with anyone?

Yes. I bought a pallet form myself and a few other guys took care of the other 2.
    Mark Annville, PA