Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's time to do something - But what? I need to loose weight

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    hapster said:
    I do all my veggies on the egg except for greens...

use a little oil and toss them with kosher salt, course ground black pepper, and garlic salt... they always turn out fantastic
    Just toss them in a grill basket?  How long?

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    robnybbq said:
    Appreciate the help guys.  I would like to go back to trying low/no carb for a while (yes I will deal without pasta for a while as we have cut back on that already).

Not a sweet person so I do not need cookies, cake, ice cream (once in a blue moon).

Cooking vegetables has always been an issue.  Will have to learn how.  And what to spice them up with.  I got a bunch of rubs but can not see them on veggies.  I like green/red peppers but only once in a while.  Tried cooking them on the Egg and same result.  dried out usually. 

I need to learn how to plan and make meals that I can bring to work with me as well.  That do not need to be reheated for the most part and not come out like dried cardboard.  For example if I cooked a steak on Sunday and brought it to work on Wednesday it will be dried out.  What would I have with it?  Lettuce without dressing?

I just know myself too much that if I get too aggravated I will stop trying.  Repeat cycle.  That is why I need to find a better way of doing this.

As for alcohol - I can do without beer as I like Vodka and scotch(once in a while).  I usually mix Vodka with crystal light (no carbs/calories) or club soda.

Diabetes is coming one day (Family history with not good with it). 

Age 41
    Weight 245 (This morning)
    Cholesterol 220
    Triglycerides - 350
    Sugar 91 - Do not know how
    Blood Pressure 130/80

i got away with booze on a low carb diet but my food calorie intake was insanely low. no beer or wine, i drank tangurauy with a little diet  tonic water and lime, and gallons upon gallons of the smokiest foul tastyng scotch i could find
    :)) you can eat dressing on a low carb diet, i would dip the steak into blue cheese dressing
    :D the atkins diet will help all those numbers you posted but the trigs look too high, other things can cause that like an underperforming thyroid
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I love to use lemon juice on asparagus or spinach, gives a nice flavor without the salt
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    There's a book by Men's Health magazine called the Abs Diet.  It's fantastic.  Get it and follow it for about 6 weeks and you'll be happy you did.  I was about 320 around xmas and am 235 right now and that's with a few week long binge vacations in there, because i absolutely love cooking and stuffing my face.  
    You can lose some weight a variety of ways but don't kid yourself.  If you want to lose weight and be healthy, you need to exercise.  I don't run or anything crazy but you need to at least walk and do some push ups.  Buy the book and follow the routing- tons of quick, easy recipes too.  You're welcome :)
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• @SmokinDAWG82:  if you like dill, lemon and dill is amazing on asparagus.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503

robnybbq said:
    hapster said:
    I do all my veggies on the egg except for greens...

use a little oil and toss them with kosher salt, course ground black pepper, and garlic salt... they always turn out fantastic
    Just toss them in a grill basket?  How long?
    Till they're tender and have some char on them... I use a grill basket
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You are going to have to do some exercise, there is no way around it. It might be hard at first, but its worth it in the long run. I start off every day by walking a mile. I've gotten down to where it takes me about 16 minutes. I feel like if you do it first thing, you feel more energized throughout the day, not to mention it jump starts your metabolism. Surely you can wake up 16 minutes earlier every day to do that?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• robnybbq
    So would this be a good meal plan for a day

Breakfast
    2 eggs, with 1/4 cup mushroom

Lunch
    4 oz piece of cold steak with 1/2 cup of spinach

Dinner
    4 oz pork chop with 1/2 cup of carrots

is that enough?

Garnerville, NY
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935

@robnybbq, no that is not enough. Trust me, use myfitnesspal, or some other application and make it easy peasy.

You are probably sitting at 1000 calories or so, your body will not like losing weight with that little nutrition going into you. Try into that adding snacks. Say between breakfast and lunch do a hard boiled egg, some veggies (sliced peppers, carrots, celery, brololi, an apple) and some hummus.

Then add another snack between lunch and dinner. maybe a serving of crackers and cheese.

Then add a very small snack/dessert after dinner. This keeps you from feeling so hungry all day long at meal time.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

I agree with @fletcherfam, you'll definitely need snacks as well.  If you feel like lunch and/or dinner feels a little light, bump up the veggies - even a cup/cup and a half of carrots won't really impede weight loss.

Also, how does your family feel about beans?  They are great sources of fiber and protein and make you feel very full with a low calorie load.  Super easy to cook too (and making your own help a LOT with salt), especially if you have a slow cooker.  Soak 1 lb beans in plenty of water overnight.  In the morning, put mirepoix in slow cooker and add beans and their soaking water, add your favorite seasonings (my house generally features cumin, chipotle chili powder and a touch of oregano) and cook on low all day.  These can be dressed up with some fresh herbs/lemon juice, eaten as a stew with a salad for dinner or lunch, turned into refried beans, etc.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Your meal plan will give you enough protein for a sedentary lifestyle. But not enough calories, and no essential fats.

Add a couple of meals a week w. so called oil fish, salmon, sardine, or mackerel. Make some salads w. flax seed tossed in.

I fairly picky about vegetables, tho' not so much as you. Here's 1 important thing. Freshness is paramount. I don't care at all for green beans, unless they have been taken from the plant just a few hours ago.

I have difficulty maintaining my weight, much less loosing any. 2 simple rules hel

1. Don't eat unless you feel hungry. Just because it is meal time doesn't mean one needs to eat. This is hard to do if you like cooking and have an Egg. The pleasure of eating tasty food replaces the need to eat.

2. Always leave the table a little hungry. Americans have become used to "stuffed" as the right tummy feeling. A small amount of hunger is a good thing. No hunger = lay in the shade and snooze. Do that 1 too many times, add 1 pound of fat.
  • fishlessman
    i would do that for the first two weeks then add more fats veggies and some hard cheese to the diet.
    fukahwee maine

• robnybbq
    OK - How do I prepare meals ahead of time (cooked on a weekend) and brought to work for lunch meals during the week?

How not  making the food taste like leftovers?  Soggy vegetables?

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    chili, soups, coleslaw are all good as leftovers. a simple salad of tomatoes cukes and carrots with some tunno in oil dumped on it works for me as well. i made alot of coleslaw this year, best was a gorganzola slaw with greek olives and some crumbled bacon added just before eating it. you seem to like to make things plain, one trick is to go small portions with heavier flavors, heat, vinegar, citrus like lemons and limes
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    chili, soups, coleslaw are all good as leftovers. a simple salad of tomatoes cukes and carrots with some tunno in oil dumped on it works for me as well. i made alot of coleslaw this year, best was a gorganzola slaw with greek olives and some crumbled bacon added just before eating it. you seem to like to make things plain, one trick is to go small portions with heavier flavors, heat, vinegar, citrus like lemons and limes
    Yes it is a proven fact that chilis assist in weight loss and meals containing capsicum leave you feeling more full with less intake.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    I do not know how to cook otherwise.  Example,  I have tried dumping spices on chicken or  vegetables and all I taste are the spices and its not that good.  Beef for example has enough flavor in it self but adding salt pepper enhances it - to me not so much on chicken/veggies.  Maybe I need a cooking class or a book to learn ho to make food taste better/healthier?

Been trying to learn this and maybe this is half the battle. 

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Got a health chilli recipe? 

Wife makes some using veggie meat (fake ground beef) with beans, chilli sauce and it tastes good but I am starving an hour later.

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I mean hot peppers.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    Hot peppers will just make you "evacuate" faster.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Also I need to find recipes/plans/methods to feed the whole family.  Me cooking for myself will not go over well.  I can see a war starting if I tried it.  "What's the matter - you don't like my cooking?  Or We don't want to eat that, make something else"

Garnerville, NY
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

This is what I have done to lose 60 lbs.

I had a Muscle Milk (double scoop, so about 12oz) for breakfast.

Snack 3 hours later. ie piece of fruit, yogurt, cheese, nuts, slice of toast with peanut butter. Not all just one.

Another Muscle Milk for lunch.

Another snack 3 hours later.

Responsible dinner. Usually chicken or pork and lots of veg. Red meat is the highest in calories and fats. Usually no starch, but if I did it was minimal. ie 2-3 baby creamer potatoes,or half cup cooked rice. You can eat alot of yams though. Not crazy amounts but more than regualr starches,

Snack 3 hours later.

Save yourself and have a big meal with all the goodies once a week on the same day. Have the steak, pasta, or what have you so as to not relegate your self and become aggitated. Something to look forward to. Seeing as you are on this forum, you have an egg, Cook the chicken breats or spatchcock chicken on your egg and dont eat the skin. All the flavors are there just learn to cut the bad parts out.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

• fishlessman
    i dont use a recipe for chili but have her use her recipe with greasy burger and ground pork and tell her NOT to drain the fat
    :D this was last sundays cook, i ate the last of it today, pork and beef, an onion, a small can diced tomatoes, a little paste, some worcestershire sauce, and all the spice i could carry from the cupboard in one trip, and a homemade rochette bean (recipe in the weight watches forum, its navey beans a third pound salt pork, an onion, and 2 squirts ketchup cooked all day in the oven) for the first few weeks on the diet avoid the beans
    :))

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Yes it is a proven fact that chilis assist in weight loss and meals containing capsicum leave you feeling more full with less intake.
    burn your tongue with rooster sauce and your eating slows down when your afraid to eat another bite
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71
    edited June 2013

Diet is a very personal and it is hard to provide good advice when we don’t fully know how your daily/weekly diet is. However there are good guidelines that can be followed and was mentioned in some of the replies. One thing that I would suggest and highly recommend is to go slow with your diet change.

I am not a fan of drastic changes but go slow and progress from stage to stage. Start by smaller portion, less consumption of process food and bad ‘drinks’. From there you should start introducing some ‘good’ food and slowly start changing your diet accordingly. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Furthermore there is no hiding that losing weight is all about diet and exercise.  Your diet will mainly dictate how your body will change but adding exercise will add the ‘supplement’ to your diet for better results. As many said, exercise takes form in different ways. You just need to start moving and go from there.

You also ask about how u can prepared for lunch in advance. Spend Sunday cutting vegetables and prep for the whole week. Spatchcock a chicken for example and shred it to be used for your salad. I recommend using olive oil and some balsamic as dressing for your salad t cut on calories. If you used pre-made dressing, make sure not to put a lot. It is a moot point to have a super healthy salad when you cover it up with dressing.

To sum it up, take it slow. You need to have the right mindset that you need to change your lifestyle prior of embarking yourself in a weight loss journey. Without a clear mind, it will slowly ‘eats’ you and you will end up giving up.

Good luck!

• fletcherfam

@robnybbq, I don't like left over cooked veggies for the most part, they taste like a crap sandwich (my opinion). Because of this most of the time I just bring fresh veggies instead.

In terms of left over tastes, most of the things I make taste better the next day as I always make enough for left overs.

You really don't change what you eat, it's how much you eat of it. Again, portions. I can have meatloaf, bbq sauce, salad, and a side dish for dinner and I feel full. The key is that the meatloaf is not a huge piece.

A digital scale will be a huge help in this adventure.

• fishlessman

@robnybbq, I don't like left over cooked veggies for the most part, they taste like a crap sandwich (my opinion). Because of this most of the time I just bring fresh veggies instead.

In terms of left over tastes, most of the things I make taste better the next day as I always make enough for left overs.

You really don't change what you eat, it's how much you eat of it. Again, portions. I can have meatloaf, bbq sauce, salad, and a side dish for dinner and I feel full. The key is that the meatloaf is not a huge piece.

A digital scale will be a huge help in this adventure.

ahhh, but with meatloaf you can cut out most of the bread crumbs and add back in some dehydrated onion and some finely shredded and diced carrot and have a bigger portion
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• robnybbq
    So for lunch just raw veggies and leftover meat form a previous cook?  Salads will get old fast though and trying to come up with options.

Will cooked hamburgers (Like Hapsters link) be good 4 days later?  What would I have with them - raw carrots?  Just looking for ideas.

Garnerville, NY
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited June 2013
    robnybbq said:

Age 41
    Weight 245 (This morning)
    Cholesterol 220
    Triglycerides - 350
    Sugar 91 - Do not know how
    Blood Pressure 130/80

You are the same age as me. 

Don't know your height but your weight is not something that you can't tackle head on.  It is a life style... think of the last time your weight was what you thought was okay...

For me it was 20 years ago.  I've read all your replies in this thread and here is what I think you need to consider...Take a long term approach - join Weight Watchers, learn from them about portion size, about eating smaller portions more often, about how to cook balanced meals and how to make your house/work/spaces healthier around you.  I work with food everyday and I'm about as passionate about food as anyone I know.  My head is filled with theories of healthy eating and I wasn't applying them to my life until I joined Weight Watchers. 

- I've lost 22 lbs in 15 weeks.  I know it isn't setting any records, but it is at a pace I can live with - for the forseeable future without being overly hungry, with having every food option available and at minimal cost (like $6/week!) as long as I track it and stay honest.

You can't learn a new skill/sport/trade/job without a teacher or coach - living healthier is a skill and Weight Watchers (or some other program) are professional teachers and coaches.  I believe you need a coach (and based on your reservations with some of the changes - you need the accountability that a weekly meeting adds to a program)  

It is a minimal investment in time and money, and a huge return for you and your family.  If your family isn't on board, press on - they will come around.  There is no other choice - eat better too or don't critcize.  Believe me when you feel like everyday someone tells you how much healthier you look and what a great job - you get motivated to do even better.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• fletcherfam

Here is what I do for leftovers/lunch:

hamburger with the fixens (minus mayo and bun)

Tri Tip with left over grilled broccoli (I have real easy recipe for broccoli in the oven that is great).

chicken tacos (put wet ingredients in one container and dry in another) heat chicken in micro first, then heat corn tortillas, then make tacos.

chili (self explanatory)

chicken with some fresh veggies (carrots, avocado, etc).

pita pizzas (pita topped with pizza sauce, cheese, toppings).

etc.

• robnybbq
    I apologize in advance for what is about to become :).

I am going to give low carb another chance.  On Monday I will start.  I will have to get some pasta in this weekend.

Going to plan on making some spatchcock, flank steak, burgers during the week and having them for lunch the next day.  Just have to figure out the veggies that I can take with the meat to work (no over/stove).  Planning on bringing possible string cheese as snacks but need more ideas.

Again - I apologize for my actions starting next week.

Garnerville, NY