Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I got all these Briskets........

I figure why not make ribs. Really trying to get the rib recipe dialed in. I can cook them fine, I just don't have a "go-to" like I do with brisket. So I'm doing 4 racks of St. Lou's 4 different ways. 1 with Dizzy Dust and Blues Hog. 1 with Dizzy Dust and Blues hog honey mustard. 1 salt and pepper dry and 1 with salt lick rub and sauce. The best I've ever done is salt lick style but I'm loving the blues hog lately. It was way too sweet for me when I first tried it but it has really grown on me. This is the first I've tried it on anything besides chicken. Got the rig fired up, time to hit the pool for several hours of R&R (and sippin'). image
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Let me know how the BH mustard turns out. That's the only one I have not tried. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Will do. I haven't tried it either. I have an unopened Tennessee Red too. Kind of interested in that one too. Never tried it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Sure you have heard it before but the Blues Hog original and Tennessee red mixed 50/50 cuts the sweetness and thickness and adds a little kick
  • travisstrick
    They are only $3 at HEB. Kind of hard to not use them on everything. 
  • Thanks lit. I think I have seen people say that but had forgotten. I have both so I will mix some up tableside and see how it goes.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @Cen_Tex-what are you gonna do with the flap meat from the St Louis trim job??  BTW-looks great. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    @Cen_Tex-what are you gonna do with the flap meat from the St Louis trim job??  BTW-looks great. 
    crazy thing but the St. Lou's were cheaper than full spares at the store this week. Same store as the briskets. it was like opposite week. They did have a little flap but it was mostly trimmed. I cleaned them up a trashed it. 
  • These pics are ridiculous. They are different on every device I look at them on. good on the iphone, sideways on the PC, I'm afraid to look at my Ipad. First world problems I guess but dang.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Now that's a score-I found spares for $1.89/# yesterday (not the best but decent) but have never seen St. Louis in the same ball-park.  When you have a choice between lucky and good...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    Iphone- normal view
    Imac- sideways
    Ipad- sideways

I think its a mobile site vs normal site thing. 
  • lousubcap said:
    Now that's a score-I found spares for $1.89/# yesterday (not the best but decent) but have never seen St. Louis in the same ball-park.  When you have a choice between lucky and good...

$2.29 St. Lou's, $2.89 spares. Select Brisket $3.89, CAB $1.77. I didn't want to leave the store in fear it might all change when I went out the doors. I'm sure it has.
  • Iphone- normal view
    Imac- sideways
    Ipad- sideways

I think its a mobile site vs normal site thing. 

Mine are normal on phone and iPad but sideways on PC.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Looking good. You just smoking or gonna foil?

XLBGE 
  • Looking good. You just smoking or gonna foil?

If i have to foil anything, I'm not cooking it. I'm straight up smoke and spice on everything I do.
  • MrCookingNurse

Looking good. You just smoking or gonna foil?

If i have to foil anything, I'm not cooking it. I'm straight up smoke and spice on everything I do.

I assumed, but was just seeing what your game plan was. I did the whole labor intensive foil and 3-3000 steps you see on tv and compitition stuff ever since I got my egg. I'm quickly changing to smoke and time after some great results and some threads on here.

My butt is 275ish till done
    My ribs are 250ish till done

Ready to see some pics man!

XLBGE 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Sideways or straight up... They're some damn fine looking ribs!

Bravo!!!
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited June 2013
    From sex panther to snooty charcoal :-?

XLBGE 
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    They are only $3 at HEB. Kind of hard to not use them on everything. 
    No fair!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Don't know how I missed this thread. So what's the verdict? Had I seen it in time I would have suggested one rubbed with salt, cumin, and cayenne.

I cooked a rack with a mustard sauce once and it was good but the sauce after cooking tasted very different from the sauce out of the bottle. Was still good though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    caliking said:

Don't know how I missed this thread. So what's the verdict? Had I seen it in time I would have suggested one rubbed with salt, cumin, and cayenne.

I cooked a rack with a mustard sauce once and it was good but the sauce after cooking tasted very different from the sauce out of the bottle. Was still good though.

I've left mustard off my ribs because it turned to mush more times than success.

Maybe cen-tex passed out in the pool.

XLBGE 
  • The blues hog mustard and salt lick were the winners. Both mustard based sauces. I have to say, they were cooked perfectly, tasted good, but we just aren't rib people. I really never get them when I go out and I make them like 2x a year. I can do them fine, just don't love them. We each had like 2-3 and were done. I enjoyed the twice bakers and corn more. They were awesome. image
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Will do. I haven't tried it either. I have an unopened Tennessee Red too. Kind of interested in that one too. Never tried it.

To get a real nice glaze and great taste, I mix the BH 3 to 1 with the TR
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looks pretty good from here.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506

WTH- read all that to get to the end and see one little picture! What's this place coming to?

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    With all those briskets i assuming you'll be cooking one in late June.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks good CT. What did you think of the salt and pepper ribs? I tried them this weekend. Not impressed.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    Looks good CT. What did you think of the salt and pepper ribs? I tried them this weekend. Not impressed.
    No bueno. by far the least impressive of the bunch. 
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    They look amazing. Blues Hog Honey Mustard and Dizzy Dust... that's it? Did you baste with anything after? What internal temp? Sorry for all the questions, but you and Travis spell it out so simple. It's easily repeatable. And my Egg tends to me-proof it.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

• GQuiz said:
    They look amazing. Blues Hog Honey Mustard and Dizzy Dust... that's it? Did you baste with anything after? What internal temp? Sorry for all the questions, but you and Travis spell it out so simple. It's easily repeatable. And my Egg tends to me-proof it.
    Dizzy dust front and back
    250 dome over oak for about 5 hrs (bend test and bone wiggle test)
    When done, Glaze with BH Honey Mustard for about 15 minutes while setting the table.

That's it.